You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:48 am 
Site Admin

Allergic Living has received an official position statement from The Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology regarding H1N1 flu vaccines for individuals with allergies to egg.
http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=319

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:23 pm 

I checked with my son's allergist and they will be holding a special clinic for all of their egg allergic children to have the vaccine at the clinic. We're on the list.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:32 pm 

Our egg allergic sons will be having their vaccine at the allergists as well. They will first be doing a skin test, then the full vaccine if neg, then waiting at the office for an hour. We do have to wait until Nov 27...but that is oK. The rest of us will try and get it sooner (Im going tomorrow as I work at a CHildren's hospital).

Benjamin - ana to peanut, egg, sesame & kiwi, asthma, eczema
Mattea - outgrew FPIES to a host of things!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:10 pm 

We have an appt for Nov 26th for the same thing, but the receptionist said today that he will be holding a clinic to do the testing and vaxing, and we are first on the list to be notified.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:54 pm 

I have yet to hear back form our pediatrician, but from what i've been told, I think she is recommending that our daughter NOT be vaccinated, which I find quite disturbing, I'm going to see if anywhere will vaccinate her. My husband isn't sure if the risk outweighs the benefit for her because she is only 11 months old. We are both getting vaccinated, me because I am pregnant, and my husband so that he wont bring home the flu for her. I'm going to keep making phone calls tommorow, and hope to get some real answers!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:16 pm 

Does anyone know if Dr Ham Pong's office in Ottawa holds one of these clinic for giving the flu or H1N1 vaccines? I've been trying to get through for days but the line is always busy. That's normal (usually takes me about 3 days to get through just to make our yearly appointment) so I imagine there's alot of parents calling right now for the same information. I was hoping someone here would know if the Ottawa allergists are doing this.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:30 am 

cauger wrote:
I have yet to hear back form our pediatrician, but from what i've been told, I think she is recommending that our daughter NOT be vaccinated, which I find quite disturbing, I'm going to see if anywhere will vaccinate her. My husband isn't sure if the risk outweighs the benefit for her because she is only 11 months old. We are both getting vaccinated, me because I am pregnant, and my husband so that he wont bring home the flu for her. I'm going to keep making phone calls tommorow, and hope to get some real answers!

Do you have an allergist as well as a ped? I can't remember if you have talked about this issue in another thread, but as per the official advice and mine and others' allergists' advice is to do a scratch test with the vaccine in the allergist's office, then decide on whether to give it based on the reaction.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:01 pm 

Alison's Mom wrote:
cauger wrote:

Do you have an allergist as well as a ped? I can't remember if you have talked about this issue in another thread, but as per the official advice and mine and others' allergists' advice is to do a scratch test with the vaccine in the allergist's office, then decide on whether to give it based on the reaction.

We're waiting for our first appointment with her allergist in December at the childrens hospital. She's already been to see one, but none of the staff seem that great, they seem to think it's a burden to expalin things, and they only speak french, so I'l,l drive into Montreal to see a doctor who speaks english. For now they've just said to have myself and my husband vaccinated and avoid places with sick people. I'm keeping a close eye on her for any symptoms because it's reached us here finally (and our shots are only available as of NOV. 9th, which isn't thrilling to me, being 23 weeks pregnant and an uncontrolled asthmatic). Any of us getting sick right now would be a very bad thing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:01 am 

Oh, that's concerning! Fingers crossed that you're able to steer clear.

By the way, we had our vaccines administered this morning at our allergist's, with the scratch test, 10% of the dose, then 90% 30 min later, plus an additional 30 min in the office to make sure they were OK. We have to go back in 21 days for a booster shot, which won't be fun. My kids were not thrilled about having to be jabbed twice today. It took a lot of promises for 'prizes' and lots of tears. However, apart from some soreness in the arms, they seem to be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:00 am 

My doctor won't let me get it... In the past, public health wouldn't even give me MMR, which caused my American university to withhold my grades and threaten me with quarantine twice. :mrgreen:

With uncontrolled asthma...I guess I'll live on prayer and purell............and I'll also keep yelling at the tv when the politicians say that every Canadian will have the opportunity to be vaccinated.

I've heard of vaccines being grown in other mediums....wonder if they'll use that method for the flu in the future....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:27 pm 

DS had his H1N1 shot today the allergist. They had the special clinic for their egg allergic patients. They did a scratch with the vaccine (and control scratches). He didn't react at all so they gave him the full dose and waited 45 minutes. Also no problems. So, he's covered! It was nerve wracking (especially cause I couldn't go cause I'm home with some kind of bug) but it was totally uneventful - thank heavens.

M

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:51 pm 

My daughter got hers today at the special allergy clinic for children with egg allergies. They did the scratch test and both the vaccine and the control reacted (yay for sensitive skin). They gave her the 10% then 90% split dose.. She had some redness after the first dose and reacted to the second dose (not a major reaction at least) but each of her legs was quite red and she had hives on her belly and back. They gave her benadryl and it went away, they kept us 3 hours total, now she's resting. I'm glad it's done and over with. I did ask if this was a common reaction and they said when a child DOES react, that's pretty much what they see form all of them.