You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:58 pm 

My 5 yr old daughter is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts and sesame seeds. From the time that she was born to now, we have always bought her books - for storytelling, and more recently, for her to read. We rarely borrow books from the library since we found out she was allergic. If we do read library books, then I would hold the books for her while she read, or I would read to her. Then I would wash my hands afterwards.

Buying books for her is getting expensive and we cannot keep buying all of the books she reads, but I am just not sure how "allergen-safe" the library books are (some are quite dirty - so we do not even borrow those ones). She is starting to take out books from her school library and she is really excited to bring home new books, but again, I make her wash her hands after she has held the book and usually I will hold it for her to read.

I probably sound overly cautious or even paranoid - how is everyone else handling library books? Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:05 pm 

My daughter reacted to library books a few times. We stopped getting library books for a while until she was out of the kiddy section and into chapter books. Chapter books seem cleaner. The books at school seem cleaner than the public library ones.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:44 pm 

I have had the exact concern regarding library books. I mentioned it to the librarian once and she agreed she felt that they are not safe for our son. She told me about the condition some books come back in, they have to wipe many covers due to food smears. Since you can't wipe the pages I can only assume that they must have significant trace.
I'm sure many others have borrowed books for years without incident, I myself choose not to take the chance of not only a reaction but of bringing a chance trace into my home.
What do we do instead of buying books, I do not know either.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish