You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

Has anyone else missed symptoms of food allergies? I'm at risk of anaphylaxis to both shellfish and soy. In both cases, diagnosed as an adult (though I'd had environmental and drug allergies since childhood).

With both allergens, you practically had to hit me on the head with barge pole to get me to realize that - duh - this was food allergy. With shellfish, I anaphylaxed on a shrimp dinner. Following an oh-so-fun trip to ER (in full stridors, covered in hives), I was tested, diagnosed, EpiPenned. Previously, I'd had symptoms after eating shrimp - such as non-stop vomiting - that I hadn't realized were allergy. (No hives.) I would think I was experiencing food poisoning or a bad reaction to a sauce. Once I thought i couldn't tolerate sea bass, which was part of a meal.

Then with soy - perhaps because it's not always an obvious ingredient - again I missed the allergy association until a full-on anaphylactic episode. (Figured out it was soy through allergist skin testing.) I'd even broken into hives at a shellfish-free Asian meal, which I assumed was stress as i'd been working round the clock. Never thought of the soy ingreds.

In hindsight, and after a lot of allergy research, I often wonder how I could have missed symptoms repeatedly. Has anyone else done so? Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

1. Babies exzema- I was told it was a "teething rash", it just happened to clear up the moment she weaned herself
2. Facial edema- we had been to a bakery. I didn't realise that egg was often used in the dried form and was often air born.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:26 pm 

I've always had digestive problems... it got worst and worst as I grew older, always got told it was due to stress, family history... whatever. I got jobs in ice cream parlors (the ice cream was free... it was breakfast, lunch and dinner :roll: ), studied pastry and started to work in that field (had to taste what I made :D ), then got put on drugs that were better digested if taken with milk 3 times a day... that was it. I was ingesting more and more milk dispite feeling worst and one point my system just had to tell me straight up! Was sick for a whole month only able to eat Cheerios and rice milk... then started to add foods back into my diet and have not been able to add milk back again without symptoms.

Thankfully it doesn't take as much now and I see the symptoms a lot sooner and get the tests! I've seen what life is without the symptoms now and I don't want to go back ;), when the symptoms come back, I investigate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

Mylène, I hear you. I used to have digestive problems, migraines. Now I feel great. Just keep me away from my allergens and I've got the constitution of a horse. /g

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:22 pm 

deleted

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

Lisa,

Yikes, you do have a lot of allergies to contend with.

I'm curious about the wheat - I wouldn't have thought fatigue/tiredness was a symptom of food allergy. A lot of allergists say it isn't. Was your allergist at all enlightening on that? (Not that I doubt that it's allergy, I know you know plenty about IgE-mediated responses.)

I think part of the trouble with identifying allergens is that foods often have many ingredients - such as the potato dish you mention. Then it becomes harder to nail down the cause. /gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:31 pm 

Yes, I do have quite a few dietary restrictions! It's a good thing that I will eat just about anything---as long as I don't react to it.