You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: am I going to far ?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:28 pm 

Next Friday at my son's school, there will be a Halloween party. The school is peanut free, (their term not mine :). I have canceled my volunteer shift that morning in order to be available. My sister really wants me to babysit for a short time that day and is having trouble understanding that I want to be ready to go. I read that accidents most happen at special events, and when we break from normal routines. I live a 5 minute walk from the school, I do not drive. I would feel better be close to home and the school that day. I am not going in to the school. I do not expect there to be a problem. I feel I am just being ready ....should I force myself to go about my normal day ?

4 yr od son - asthma anaphlaxsis to nuts,peanuts, allergies to dogs, cats, trees & grass

Post subject: Re: am I going to far ?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:15 pm 

What is the format of the Halloween party? Are they just having music and dancing and activities? Or is there going to be food? In my elementary school (before the existence of peanut free schools) we had a haunted house and then played games and there was music and stuff. There was some candy given out from the teachers but they knew about me and it was always safe. Most of the time though, it was stuff that was to be sent home instead of eaten at school during the day. I know it must be hard, I definitely don't know the anxieties that a parent has, but my mom didn't always come to these events (although sometimes she did, more just to be involved in my life than necessarily for my allergies). If it makes you feel better, then stay at home for sure...why not? Just do stuff around the house that needs to get done anyways, bring up the winter coats (because we all know how cold it's getting already!) and do stuff like that. Your mind should be a little bit at easy considering that the school is termed peanut free and I'm sure you have instilled in your son the tools he needs to stay safe. I know I had to grow up a lot because of my allergies but it's not necessarily a bad thing...I am a VERY observant person haha!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:29 pm 

I'd probably be a bit apprehensive as well. I take my cell phone with me during school hours, even when going for a run, just in case they need me at school. However, they have done training with all staff and have protocols for when there are subs, who also get trained, and there are 3 epipens at school - 2 on each of my children, plus 1 extra per child. So, I'm pretty confident that they know what to do in an emergency. Do you feel confident with the policies around allergy emergencies, and do you feel the staff are sufficiently trained? Will you know ahead of time what food will be served at the party, and does your child know what to eat and what not to eat?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:21 pm 

My children did and do not have allergies and I always went to the party/event days at the school in the very young grades. (I must admit I always asked the teacher if any children had allergies as I felt the need to look out for them) I was there to help make the party go smooth for all the kids. I think if you feel the need to be home so you are close or you would like to be there so be it. The time to monitor these situations is when they are so young and they can have some independence but you can still be there to make sure all will be fine. As the kids go up in grades the opportunity to help in the class goes down. Older children do not need as much help and they also don't want mom there so much :dungetit (mom's are not cool in jr. high)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:45 am 

Thanks all,
I think the problem is I do not know what they are going to do, but don't want to bother the teacher. I am glad to hear that being observant can be a plus of having allergies - it is good to have someone that notices what others miss in many situations.
I'm going to ask the teacher what the plan is, the teachers have been trained and my son knows to be careful. It's all the firsts -they are hard. I'm going to stay close to home for the first party, and the reevaluate. If I am invited to attend by the teacher I will, perhaps I will ask if she would like a volunteer.
Jomatt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

Definately talk to them and find out what they're planning. I am going to the school to prepare the fruits and veggies and I am bringing the dips so that all students can bring in something to contribute and I will be certain that the knives and cutting boards are clean. The junk food will be plain chips.

Our city run daycare was going to have a haunted house and BOBBING FOR APPLES!!! :frightened :banghead
Ew, H1N1 anyone? I told him that it was not appropriate due to H1N1 and food allergies and the program manager agreed.

Don't underestimate the power of tradition!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb