You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:46 pm 

Alright so I've been thinking about getting "inked" for a while now. I want something meaningful, small, to go in the middle of my upper back. For a while I thought I was going to put the sanskrit representation for "OM" because I'm really into yoga but then I worried if one day I wasn't...it might not have the same meaning for me then. I am a spiritual person, I just don't know what exactly to get so I'd love some ideas. Not necessarily a cross, actually I think I would prefer if it was more symbolic. I saw some cool things: the triquetras and alpha and omega are pretty cool ideas but not sure if they're exactly what I've been looking for. I kind of want something to symbolize faith, strength, hope, all in one...
Any ideas would be great!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:31 pm 
I have a tattoo and love it! It is very meaningful to me - I can upload and explain it, but am not sure how to add a picture?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:38 am 

I just got my second this summer. I had our daughter's name (Chinese symbol ) tattoo'd on the outside of my ankle years ago. This was something I knew I'd never regret. Both our kids had Chinese names (no english translation) given to them by my husband's grandmother/mother when they were born. I just had our son's put on recently on the inside of the same ankle.

Once you find something which means so much to you that you know you'd never regret having it on you permanently, then you know it is the right choice.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Ooh, didn't it hurt on the ankle?

I don't have any tattoos...I have a hard enough time picking paint colour.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:05 pm 

I agree, I want it to be meaningful. It's just there are so many things that are meaningful to me I just don't know how to synthesize it all into one...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.tattoosymbol.com/choosing-tattoo.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:15 pm 

Sorry to bring this "on topic" and back to allergies, but has anyone experienced allergies to tattoo ink? This has been the thing holding me back from tats.

I've heard that red ink is the one most likely to trigger a reaction so I doubt I'll get that big Canadian maple leaf with the Tim Horton's logo across my back!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:15 pm 

My MIL got a tattoo for her 60th birthday. She had an allergic reaction to it and her whole leg swelled up. The doctors did not know what was wrong with her leg right away and it got quite bad. For anyone who knows my past experience with my MIL...I was feeling like this :banana over the whole thing. The grief she causes me over allergies and then to have that happen to her it was sweet payback :wink: .

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:47 pm 

I've been waiting for someone to use the dancing banana. :lol:

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:10 pm 

I have a 3 tattoos, all are symbolic to me in a way. I found that personally I stay away from letters (maybe it's the mortal fear that the artist would spell it wrong), I go with pictures.. My second one that I got 5 years ago was a symmetrical design of a lotus flower. It is quite nice, kind of large, but in a place where it is almost never seen (my head). It represents to me inner peace, balance, and clarity of mind. I say go for it, I love all of my tattoos, my first one was 8 years ago (I only have 3.. not a ton).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:22 am 

Speaking of something meaningful, my son who is not a fan of jewelry or watches has asked about having a "medic alert" type tattoo done on his wrist. I have some mixed emotions about this and was wondering what insight others may have into this subject. I appreciated the information about reacting to the dye used. Oddly, I had not even considered that.

As for something meaningful for your tattoo Lisa, you will know what feels right when you find it. What about having a consultation with the artist who might be doing the tattoo to help you come up with a suitable design? Just a thought.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:33 am 

Good point Andrea. One of my friends told me she got hers done at a place where they ONLY do custom tattoos. I like that idea. Also, another one of my friends is actually a really good artist (I saw her drawing during class!). I asked her if she could design me something and she didn't hesitate. She said she's done it for some of her other friends too. So I gave her some guidelines and can't wait to see what she has done!
As for the Medic Alert tattoo...maybe it's not such a great idea. What if he outgrows his allergies one day or we find a cure? He might want to move on from this part of his life and not be reminded by it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:35 pm 

I thankfully outgrew a few of my adult onset allergies, but they seem to fluctuate so much that I'd probably end up with a Medic Alert tattoo sleeve!