You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:58 am 

My youngest daughter is 2 1/2 and still uses a soother at night. I tried to get her off of it, but she wanted to use her thumb instead...so the soother stayed. I was pretty concerned about her becoming a thumb sucker. It seems dangerous to me for a child with food allergies to be sticking their thumb in their mouth all the time. Not to mention the fact that if my child sucked her thumb, her thumb would be raw, chapped and bleeding from eczema. Does anyone else feel this way too?

After finding out about her food allergies, I let her take her soother out in public ( it previosly was a bedtime thing ). My oldest daughter was in ballet, and my younger daughter and I would wait at the dance place while she was in class. She was less likely to stick toys in her mouth, or eat off the floor if the soother was in her mouth. If she did try to stick a toy in her mouth, she had to take out the soother first. This gave me time to react, and keep the toy out. She was only 1 1/2 at the time, but a few other parents said some rude comments about "when are you going to take that thing away from her?" When I told them why she used it in public and that she does not have it at home, they did feel bad.

I was at the store once looking for a 18month to 3 years size soother. I asked someone who worked there for help. She told me that "they don't carry them anymore...because kids over 18 months don't need them." she also told me that " I should put some effort into parenting my child, and not rely on a soother." She appologized when I told her about the eczema, and dangerous allergies in public thing.

Does anyone else have a thumb sucker? Does anyone else give their kids a soother to prevent a raw sore thumb? Or use it to slow down their ability to stick things in their mouth like I did?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

My daughter uses her sippy cup like a soother! I feel pretty much the same way and just water down her soya milk. (She only gets 1 litre a day)
The poor kid just recently came face to face with her own mortality after reading The Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly, I think I'll cut her some slack.
We are working on the hands in mouth issue and are happy to say she has stopped licking herself but she did have that incident recently with the converyor belt at the grocery store. :roll:
I guess we'll just keep working on it.
Tonight she asked to use her mug with her name on it at supper so she may eventuay give up the sippy cup, but I'm not hding me breath. I spoke to a dentist yesterday who let her son use a bottle until he was 4 1/2 (the bottle nipple wore out and she couldn't find a replacement). She said that thumb sucking was much worse that soother sucking becxause thumb sucking caused the mouth to actualy change shape (narrow).
S be glad your child sucks on a soother! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:38 pm 

My two year old likes to pretend that she is a puppy. She likes to lick people. While picking up my oldest daughter from preschool on wednesday she licked another kids mom...twice. It's really hard to teach her not to lick people because she will have an allergic reaction.

Today at gymnastics ( my daughters are in the same class ), two little boys kept trying to kiss them!!! They just keep finding new ways to scare me!

She also likes to wear a cowboy hat and ride an umbrella like a horse ( in public). There are no allergic issues with this one, I thought I would add it because it is funny. She INSISTS on taking the hat and umbrella with us everytime we leave the house!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
There are no allergic issues with this one, I thought I would add it because it is funny.

Lol, well this is a parenting site! :D
How refreshing to remember they really are kids.
I read in another forum on a thread of parents who disagreed with peanut bans in schools :roll:. One mother felt that chidren at the age of 2 1/2 really ought to know better than to put things in their mouths. I saw from her signature that she had a 1 1/2 year old and a baby a few months old. I thought "Honey, just you wait!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:30 am 

My 3 year old son (almost 4 in January!) still puts his fingers in his mouth - despite recently having an allergic reaction in the grocery store after holding onto the grocery store cart. His allergic reaction required the Epipen, ambulance, hospital. Following this, he's STILL putting his fingers in his mouth. As much as we are trying to get him to stop, he hasn't yet. I guess kids stop this habit when they are good and ready - and no sooner. I really thought the whole allergic reaction/Epipen/ambulance/hospital would have been enough, but I'm not sure that my son has made the connection with his fingers in his mouth translating to allergens getting inside his body. Until he does, we are going to have to try very hard to protect him as much as we can. As soon as we see his fingers in his mouth, we remind him of why he can't do that, and he quickly pulls them out. Later the same day, I'll see his fingers in his mouth again. :shock: