You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:47 pm 

Does anyone know if Superstore's (Loblaw's) No Name Brand labels for 'may contains'? I thought I remembered reading that they have a good allergen labelling policy, but have found several items that list the ingredients, with no further information. Specifically, I'm looking at the No Name Brand ice cream cones. I'm in BC if that makes any difference. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:32 pm 
Some of their products say it, but I to say that I feel as though President's Choice/No Name has one of the best customer service lines out of everyone. When I call, they tell me if the allergen is present, if it's in the same facility and if it's on the same line. They are swift and helpful, and always friendly. I call right from the store all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:53 am 

I actually just phoned them this week.

The CSR said that the manufacturers are supposed to label may contain for the top ten BUT if they clean between runs they may not list it. If you call the toll free number and give them the bar code number they can look up the individual product and tell you whether or not it runs on the same equipment as any of the top ten allergens.

I had a list of 5 products to check -- the first four he was able to tell me immediately did not have my allergens on the same line. The last product, for some reason, the allergen page was missing. He took my phone number, gave me a file number, and said they would contact the manufacturers because all he could confirm was that peanuts/nuts were not on the line -- he couldn't verify about the sesame seeds for that one product.

~~

I don't usually shop during business hours, so this is rather inconvenient for me -- but at least the info is available.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:03 pm 

Thanks AnnaMarie and Laurie. There was a 1800 number listed, but when I phoned, it was already closed. Our dinner party is cancelled, though, so it can wait until Monday. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

Most stores have a courtesy phone at customer service so use it to call if you don't want to spend your cell phone minutes! Also, call your home and leave barcode info on your answering machine and call during business hours or send e-mails.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:33 am 

Good point about the courtesy phone. I usually have at least 1 squirmy child with me while shopping though, so spending on the phone in the store is usually a bad idea. I'll usually buy it, then stash it away until I've had a chance to check with the company, and give it to a neighbour if it's not OK. Thanks!