You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:49 am 

what would the chances be for a forum for adult onset allergy/asthma specific questions/concerns?? Sometimes I find that we have specific questions and concerns that don't really fit in anywhere else. To me, it sure would be helpful to have one main place to look up adult onset specific topics.

Thanks

DD (2003)- ana to mosquitos (risk all stinigng insects)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

This forum was developed inthe hopes that it would be helpfull to both parents of children with food allergies and also individuals with adult onset food allergies. This is the reason for the sections Work and Etiquette and Dating.

I'm the first to admit that the parents are the most vocal and the schools section gets a lot of traffic. As a parent myself, it's hard for me to lead the conversations of those who developed their allergies as an adult.

Please feel free to start discussions in any forum or suggest areas in which which could improve. We definately want you to feel welcome and have a sense that this is your forum.

If this is something you are not comfortable with for what ever reason, you might find the Allergic Living page on Facebook is more your style.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

Dawne, may be another way Susan and I could ask it is:
what kinds of things are you not sure where to post?

I'm adult onset, too. Susan mentions some threads; I use travel, dining /etiquette and my specific allergen threads a lot.
Not to mention "Other" and "Off Topic".

Do let us know what we may be missing in terms of issues you'd like to chat about.
We probably wouldn't do adult onset as a thread on its own, due to overlap with above threads.
But there may be another to consider ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:20 pm 

I have adult on-set. I don't date, I don't travel, and I don't work outside the home. :lol:

I do, however, click on "view new posts" so that if there are any questions/conversations I think I might be able to contribute to I hopefully will see them.

~~

Gwen, did you mean you wouldn't do an adult on-set forum, rather then thread?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:15 am 

:goodidea I agree, it would be great if you could add a thread for adult onset allergy, its so hard t find any information.

:thumbsup

x

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:59 am 
Site Admin

I can appreciate that the parents can be very vocal in many of the threads and we absolutely want those with adult onset allergies to feel free to post. I'm trying to understand the topics as it is not something that I have gone through myself.

In my mind, most of the day to day "living with" allergy topics could be covered by the work, dating, recipes etc forums. The diagnostics and what you go through before you discover that you actually have an allergy might be a forum worth considering.

Is this the kind of topics you are looking for?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:55 am 

I think that it's more that it would be nice to have ONE place to look for ADULT specific topics. Rather than to have to hunt around in 6 different pages to find things, but having one forum where those of use with adult onset allergy/asthma can post questions/answers/etc. Just like for the parents - they have the parenting board as a "catch all". For those with school age kids - there is the that board for the "catch all". For the adults there is no "catch all" board for us. For some of us, we don't really fit well into the dating, eating out, etc boards because we are beyond the dating stage, have pretty much given up eating out, and we may not work out of the home (I am a stay at home mom right now).

Please, do consider having an adult onset board for us, just like you have a parenting board! You may be pleasantly surprised at just how much traffic it gets!

Dawne

DD (2003)- ana to mosquitos (risk all stinigng insects)