You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: H1N1 questions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:32 pm 

My friend who does not have a computer asked me if I could find out some information for her. She has multiple allergies to peanuts, mushrooms, milk and lactose, pollens and more I am not sure of. She has no choice in getting or not getting the H1N1 vaccination because her 2 year old son has a life threatening illness and cannot take even a single tylenol without fatal results so any protection is important. Her concern is the adjuvant that is supposed to speed up the bodies reaction to the shot in order to build immunity. Does anyone know if antihistamines should be taken prior to getting the vaccine to prevent an allergic reaction and if so for how long afterward?

Post subject: Re: H1N1 questions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:31 pm 

I don't have an answer for you, but I would suggest that your friend should consult with her allergist to see if she could either receive the vaccine in the allergist's office, or receive advice regarding the method by which she could most safely have the vaccine. I am going to call our son's allergist to see if he could have the vaccine in her office as this is what they did for the MMR vaccine. Our son was skin tested with the vaccine, and because there was no reaction, it was deemed acceptable to give him the vaccine. They made sure the vaccine was from the same lot #. Wish your friend good luck! I read in the Toronto Star today that only 1 in 700,000 have an allergic reaction to the vaccine, and it is usually to egg protein in the vaccine. For the full article, including this statistic, see:

http://www.healthzone.ca/health/newsfea ... cine-fears

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:10 pm 

Unfortunately her allergist just comes here every few months. I convinced her to get a referral to my allergist but it will take time. I get an allergy shot next week so I will ask him for her also. Good idea to get the shot right in the allergists office. Maybe at least she can get it at her doctor's office.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:27 pm 

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodphar ... in-eng.php

Quote:
List of Excipients
Antigen suspension vial: Thimerosal, sodium chloride, disodium hydrogen phosphate, potassium dihydrogen phosphate, potassium chloride, water for injections. The drug substance contains trace residual amounts of egg proteins, formaldehyde, sodium deoxycholate and sucrose.

Adjuvant emulsion vial: sodium chloride, disodium hydrogen phosphate, potassium dihydrogen phosphate, potassium chloride, water for injections.

There is also information that there is a fish oil

From http://www.answers.com/topic/squalene

Quote:
n.
A colorless unsaturated aliphatic hydrocarbon, C30H50, found especially in human sebum and in the liver oil of sharks, that is an intermediate in the biosynthesis of cholesterol and is used in biochemical research.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:27 pm 

From the first link I posted:

Quote:

What the medicinal ingredient is:
H1N1 influenza antigen from A/California/7/2009, NYMC X-179A (H1N1)v strain and AS03 adjuvant

What the important nonmedicinal ingredients are:
Thimerosal,a mercury derivative is added as preservative. Each dose contains 2.5 micrograms of mercury. Other ingredients include: squalene, vitamin E, polysorbate 80 and trace amounts of egg proteins, formaldehyde, sodium deoxycholate and su

My question -- what is the source of the vitamin E? Common source is seeds

~~

I forgot to mention, I called Health Canada this morning to ask what oil is in the adjudevant. I was told "mercury". I specifically stated that I was concerned about the oil due to food allergies (but i didn't say what allergen).

I was told "mercury". :dungetit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:44 pm 

I was able to make an appointment with our son's allergist for him to receive the vaccine on Thurs. Oct. 29. He will be skin tested, and if all looks fine, he will receive the vaccine. I am very nervous about our son receiving the vaccine as I have concern with egg, fish (and sesame? if vitamin E source is from seeds) allergy issues. (The allergist's office only discussed the egg-allergic, and no other allergy concern issues - however, I did not discuss fish or seed concerns) However, in light of the extremely tragic death last evening of the 13 year old boy from Etobicoke, I feel it is important to receive the vaccine. There are a growing number of cases in our area, as well as one of my good friends has a daughter that has contracted H1N1. My husband, daughter and myself will receive the vaccine on Monday November 2 once the "general public" is permitted to receive the vaccine.

My heart goes out to the family that has lost their son. His father was interviewed for the CBC News, and it was heart-wrenching to listen to his grief. He urges all parents to watch their children very carefully if their children are ill.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:30 pm 

Julie, after spending days looking into this -- sesame seeds is not a source of vitamin E (though sunflower and safflour are). Peanuts are a source of vit. E -- so I called the maker of the vax in Canada (GSK). They looked into it and called me back. Specifically for the H1N1 vax, the vitamin E in the adjuvant is synthetic. Not animall nor vegetable based.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:07 pm 

Thank you Anna Marie!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

AL has done first hand interviewing on H1N1 and allergies. All anyone should need is here:

http://allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=307

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:53 pm 

Quote from Gwen's link:

Quote:
The second ingredient that has raised concern is tocopherol (vitamin E) which is sometimes derived from soybean oil. A representative from GlaxoSmithKline states that the tocopherol in the adjuvant is not derived from soybean oil. (See: Vaccine Ingredients)

Even if I had read this link earlier, I still would have been making all my calls yesterday. There are other sources of vitamin E.....but is soy the only one ever used? I'm not being sarcastic -- I'm asking that sincerely -- is soy the only source of vit E ever used?

~~

And thank you to AL for putting all this info together in one place.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:38 pm 

More and more questions every day. Was watching Global Toronto and they said someone was in line for the H1N1 shot but they turned her away because she is allergic to penicillin (sp?)
Has anyone heard about this??? :scratchy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:02 pm 

Our son had his H1N1 vaccine today, and all went well :D - for him, and the other allergic children that attended this special clinic today. They skin tested each of the children, and after 15 minutes, were able to adminster the vaccine. We then waited an additional 30 minutes for observation. For children under the age of 9 (or age 9 and under), the vaccine is given in 2 shots, so we will be returning in 3 weeks for the 2nd shot.

Now just my husband, daughter and I need to get to a clinic - which will probably more challenging than for our son! The clinic near us, for the past two days, had to close the exit off the highway and close the road in both directions because of the huge long line-up of cars trying to get into the clinic :!:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:26 pm 

paige H wrote:
More and more questions every day. Was watching Global Toronto and they said someone was in line for the H1N1 shot but they turned her away because she is allergic to penicillin (sp?)
Has anyone heard about this??? :scratchy

Was she turned away because she should not get the shot? Or because a penicillin allergy does not qualify you to get it this week?

They are trying to get first-responders, pregnant women, and others in high risk groups vaccinated first. They are turning away others -- so she may have been turned away because she's not in a high risk group.

(I'm hoping that guy who isn't Canadian but lined up for the shot gets turned away this week. When it's available to the general population, fine, but he shouldn't rate above Canadians in Canada.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:40 pm 

The polysorbate 80 is a major concern for people with corn allergy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:08 am 
Site Admin

FYI, we've been getting questions as to whether allergists have the vaccine yet,
are or will be giving shots.

If you know of an allergist who is offering, pls. add name/location on this thread.

So far, I've heard that:
- Dr. Ham Pong in Ottawa is conducting a clinic. Don't have details (pls. add if you have any).
- Dr. Susan Waserman is seeing patients in Hamilton through the McMaster-affiliated hospital.