You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:09 am 

Hi everyone!

I am 27 years old (28 tomorrow!!) and over the last nine months i have started taking allergic reactions to different things, mainly fruits, ranging from swelling of the mouth to contact hives. I mentioned before that i was going through testing for allergies,

well, I've just got my results back from my skin prick test and rast test for my allergies and they are.
apple
orange
strawberries
peaches
cherries
grapes
raisins
peanut
walnut
pecan nut
hazelnut
and sunflower!

thankfully i have no seasonal allergies!

how's every-one else doing??

Kerry :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:15 am 

Hi Kerry. That's an awesome list. Both the fruit and the skin-test samples may have something in common that's actually the allergen, like a common fertilizer or pesticide or fungicide that's used on these plants during growing or packing. Do you have reactions to organically-grown products?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

Kerry,

Sorry to hear it; long list.
Was your allergist able to tell you whether these were "true" (IgE-mediated) fruit allergies or whether you have Oral Allergy Syndrome?

See: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=257 and the links at the bottom.

Either is possible, but I'd certainly prefer OAS, as it very rarely results in anaphylaxis, and you can normally eat the fruits if baked.

That said, "true" fruit allergies are the leading allergies in Europe right now. So again, either is possible.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:32 am 

Hey gwen

i have a true allergy, i get ige responses with them all, I or my family have no history of hayfever or any other pollen allergies and all pollen tests came back negative, also my reactions vary depending on what i eat, with apples my hands sting unbelievably from holding the apple, the pain and itching is almost unbearable! and with peaches i don't have to eat them i react to contact. the doctor never mentioned OAS.

hey bon, i haven't tried organic as i have just been avoiding them all, the doctor did mention he thought i could be allergic to rosatia but i can't find any reference to it?

I'm just no used to dealing with allergies so it might take me a while to get used to it but i'm interested in learning more as I don't understand it.

anyways i hope you are both keeping well

(sorry if this is short it's my 5 time writing it for some reason it wouldn't post)

K xx