You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Dealing with strangers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:51 am 

How do you address things like perfume, or peanut butter sandwiches ( or other dangers!) with perfect strangers in public situations? What works and what doesn't?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:23 pm 

I'm not smell reactive, and I guess that's important in this.

I'm a big girl - and I really don't expect strangers to have to deal with my allergies. There have been very few instances where it effected a stranger.

When I went to a baseball game, the guy sitting beside me went to open up a bag of peanuts. My husband and I changed seats, just to put a little extra room between me and the peanuts. The guy looked at me like I had grown a third eye or something. I explained that I was allergic to peanuts, and just didn't want to be right beside them. He then (without me asking) traded seats with the person beside him. That left two seats between us - the dome was open, and there was little or no wind. I was actually quite comfortable about the situation. But, he was just so uncomfortable about eating them that he decided to put them away until he got home. He did not seem angry at all - just said he'd never enjoy them sitting so close to me. :(

Now, it was a completely different situation at an outdoor pool. There was a group of kids throwing nuts around. I politely asked them to stop. A few times. Finally, I went to their mom - and I wasn't quite so polite. These kids were old enough to know better anyway. And allergies aside - it's very rude to be throwing food at strangers. (They were actually throwing them at each other, but ducking out of the way, etc.) I told their mom that if they did it again I'd call the security guard. She realized I was serious, and so she moved - and her kids started throwing stuff at other people. :roll: [/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:04 pm 

Heh. Good examples of nice people, and NOT so nice people.

Folks with smell allergies probably have to deal with this sort of thing more, it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

Dd has asthma and is concerned about strong smells but not alergic. I would move her to another area so that she is comfortabe and not overly concerned.
There realy isn't anything you can do in a public place...it's not like you can ask them to take a bath. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:40 pm 

We've only had one occassion to deal with. There was a grandmother bringing her granddaughter to my son's daycare center and the littlest girl had a timbit in the center (clearly stated as a "no outside food allowed" facitlity). I just told my ds teacher and she had the cook of the daycare talk to the grandmother. She was put out and was huffy, and mentioned that it was ridiculous but then apparently called back the next day to apologize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:43 pm 

I have experience the sports game guy eating a bag. That's not so bad. Once, I went to an football game and the peanut guy started to throw bags of open peanuts in the crowd. I just got up and left and I waited for my friends outside.

Fortunately for you, the guys was a gentleman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:46 pm 

Fortunately for us?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:48 pm 

There was a radio station in Toronto that once had the *peanut gallery* at the Dome. I don't go there often, but I did worry that one day I'd end up sitting in it. The radio station would come and start throwing bags of peanuts at everyone sitting in that one section - and you never knew what section it would be. Fortunately I was never sitting near them. I figured if I was ever sitting in that section - I'd go and get better seats. ;)

My guess is there were a lot of complaints, because I think they only did that one year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:59 pm 

Sorry, I meant Fortunately for AnnaMarie, the guy moved and stopped eating peanuts.