You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Applebee's
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:55 am 

Does anyone know if it is safe for peanut/tree nut allergies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:20 am 

We have NOT had good success at Applebee's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:21 am 

Yeah I called them and didn't like their responses...wont bothering even trying :)

Thanks for the feedback - what about Kelsey's? Have you tried there?

Post subject: Re: Applebee's
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:41 am 

We had a fabulous experience at Applebee's on Regent. The Manager was extremely helpful!

We have also eaten at Montana's and Boston Pizza. Others with Peanut Allergy have also had good luck at Applebee's as well as Spaghetti Factory. We had a good dinner at Tony Roma's too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:11 pm 

I'd say it's hit and miss - which makes it a miss for us. We had a bad experience at Applebee's on Regent. Boston Pizza and Tony Roma's have both been 100% so far.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:03 pm 

Thank you for the feedback on Applebees. I found it difficult to get clear information on their website.
I was surprised to hear positive comments about Montana's. Are they not the restaurant that has peanut shells decorating the floor of their bar?
When we travel we look for Moxies and the Old Spaghetti Factory. We always call ahead. Both send a manager to the table to check on our allergies (peanuts, hazelnuts). We have travelled across the country with no problem. The Olive Garden offered good service to my daughter on a school trip last year. Again I called ahead and discussed options. The manager made sure she was taken care of. (Pasta is usually a good option for us)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:41 pm 

Moxie's is definately a no! We were there with my son and all they could offer was a tossed salad with oil & vinegar dressing and a broiled chicken breast . . . .

When we realized they couldn't accomodate us we had to leave - to add insult to injury - the gave us the $7.00 bill for three cokes!

Never again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:50 pm 

Bumping this to say that Applebee's has changed their menu - now has tree nut items and not all are clearly noted.

I was surprised to find that my 'rice pilaf' had almonds in it --- no, I'm not allergic but creeped me out with my child with TN allergies next to me. And although the server and kitchen assured us her meal was free of tree nuts, I think there may have been cross-contamination as she had stomach pains afterwards. Wish I had listened to my instinct and left as soon as I saw the menu with multiple tree nuts. (may not be NEW but was new to us as we had not been in over a year)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:34 pm 

Applebee's FI could have the ribblets and nothing else, the manager did come out (which rarely happens) and he also personally cooked FI meal. So that was nice at least.

Moxies is freaken TERRIBLE. We called ahead and they told us "no problem, no problem" and when we got there it ended up being a big mess. Did you know they pre-butter their rice? YUCK. Chili's did the same thing to us as well, called ahead, was told no problem, got there and the allergy menu was 10 pages, back and front. Finally we just gave up and ended up going to BP, and of course they charged us for our drinks.

Kelsey's actually almost killed my FI. Luckly I can SMELL butter. Yes, even after we told them about his allergies and how SERIOUS they are, the BUTTERED his veggies. I just knew something was up and swatted the fork away from his mouth and called the waiter over and yep, totally butter on his veggies. And what was even worse was how the waiter blew it off, "Oh, we have new kitchen staff." UHUH....riiiight. :verymad AND they charged us for both our meals, we should of at least gotten his free considering they almost killed him.

Montana's has always been super awesome. I think whoever was thing of the bar with peanut shells on the floor was Eastside Mario's and I have heard they have changed their tune on that actually. FI and I sit in the Montana's bar here all the time and I wouldn't be if there was a peanut near it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:59 am 

Montana's is our #1 place because of their extensive menu and their attention to detail with the food allergies. There are few items that contain nuts.

We have never tried Moxie's and have no desire to do that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:09 am 

The Montanas where we lived in Vancouver (LMLD) had a peanut bar. I used to curse the shells as I'd slip walking to the bathroom. It seems like most (all?) don't have peanut bars any longer from what I read on the forum.

A bad dining experience can really turn anyone off of the entire chain and that is unfortunate. The Moxies here in Ottawa is AMAZING and 100% get how to make a safe meal for a person with anaphylactic allergies. The same head chefs deal with all Ottawa Moxies locations and he 'get is' completely. It is too bad that every chain seems to have locations where staff don't get the same training. I have heard others eat at Swiss Chalet but our I'd NEVER let DS eat at our local Swiss Chalet. Again, back to not all big chain restaurants treat allergies equally. Not sure why???

I hope you find a great,safe place to eat GirlfromNWO! It's nice to be able to go out even once in a blue moon and know you can have a great, safe meal.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish