You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: H1N1 questions
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:37 pm 

My kids got their shots on Monday. Dr Bergman (ped allergist and derm) at 1803-805 W Broadway in Vancouver 604 876-4433.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:49 am 

We are going to Sick Kids in Toronto next week. They are offering an H1N1 clinic for egg allergic kids in the high risk category. You need a referral to the allergy clinic. You can look it up on the hospital website. They have an annual flu clinic for egg allergic children. No other place I want to be in case of a reaction.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:02 pm 

My daughter is on the "waiting list" at the allergy clinic at the childrens hospital in Montreal. I was told they still have no vaccines available for allergic patients, so they will call me when they can confirm availability of the vaccine.. As for others, NOBODY except health care workers have been vaccinated yet, the priority 1 group starts monday (on the 9th) and i'm sure it's going to be quite the battle convincing them to vaccinate my husband, because he is not technically in the risk category, but because our daughter will not be vaccinated until likely december, I think he should be vaccinated so he doesn't get her sick (just like they are doing for parents of children under 6 months - because they cannot receive the vaccine). Hopefully they will understand!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you folks, really helps to know when people are e-mailing, asking.

Kate, fingers and toes crossed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:03 pm 

Dr. Susan Waserman is our sons allergist. As mentioned by Gwen, she is currently giving the vaccine in her clinic at McMaster University in Hamilton for her egg allergic patients. Our son received his first dose on Oct 29, and is scheduled for his second dose on Nov 20 (children 9 and under need 2 doses - each dose is a half a regular dose).

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:35 pm 

gwentheeditor wrote:
FYI, we've been getting questions as to whether allergists have the vaccine yet,
are or will be giving shots.

If you know of an allergist who is offering, pls. add name/location on this thread.

So far, I've heard that:
- Dr. Ham Pong in Ottawa is conducting a clinic. Don't have details (pls. add if you have any).
- Dr. Susan Waserman is seeing patients in Hamilton through the McMaster-affiliated hospital.

DS is a patient of Dr Ham Pong and we are still waiting for the call from them to let us know the date of the clinic. I was told last week that they are still waiting on the vaccine. I don't understand why the allergists aren't given the vaccine to give to the kids that are in the high risk groups? The kids can't get it at the regular clinics, and I would guess that a high percentage of kids with egg allergies are also dealing with asthma so it is important that they get the vaccine as soon as possible. Very frustrating when your child is in the high risk group but you can't just walk in and get him the vaccine.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:19 am 
Site Admin

According to Dr. Kerr's website,
Quote:
The H1N1 vaccine is not available in my office at this time. CHEO and public health are in the planning stages for vaccination clinics at CHEO for high risk children including those with egg allergy. I will update my website when we have further information.

Dr. Ham Pong will be offering the vaccine for his egg allergy patients (as well as Dr. Yee and Khan) at his office. Dr. Hotte will be vaccinating his egg allergy patients at the Gatineau Hospital. Please contact them directly if you are their patient and have egg allergy. I do not know at this point if we are able to refer patients to them as an alternative to the CHEO clinics. I will update my site when this information is available to me.

I am accepting referrals for asthma and allergic rhinitis and am no longer seeing food and other allergies. My food allergy patients who have follow ups currently booked will be seen.
www.mydoctor.ca/drkerr

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:50 am 

_Susan_ wrote:
According to Dr. Kerr's website,
Dr. Ham Pong will be offering the vaccine for his egg allergy patients (as well as Dr. Yee and Khan) at his office.

When I finally got through to Dr Ham Pong's office a couple weeks ago, I was told they would be doing a clinic (probably on a Sat) for the egg allergic patients. Even though DS is a patient of Dr Ham Pong, I still had to have my family doctor send in a new referral specifically for DS to receive the H1N1 vaccine. They said once they got the vaccine they would set a date and start calling everyone that had sent in a referral. I'm hoping to get the call soon. I'm sick right now, no fever so probably not H1N1, but I still don't want to pass it on to DS because they said they won't give the vaccine to anyone that is sick so I'm afraid he'll pick up what I have and miss the clinic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:19 am 

Alison's Mom wrote:
My kids got their shots on Monday. Dr Bergman (ped allergist and derm) at 1803-805 W Broadway in Vancouver 604 876-4433.

Oooh, that's my DD's allergist. I assumed that the vaccine was out of the question for her since her egg number is >100. But I'll call the office tomorrow and find out what he recommends.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:49 pm 

Yes, see what he says - he's really good about getting back to people with questions, too. My DD's last egg numbers were only 11 and 5 (for white and yolk), and my son only had a scratch test and definitely more severe than his sister's, but nowhere near 100.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:21 pm 

Got the call today that Dr Ham Pong is holding his clinic this Sat in his office. I want DS to get the vaccine, but now that we have the appointment I am so nervous and know I will stress about it until it is all over.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:25 pm 

My daughter got the vaccine today at Sick Kids! So relieved! The doctors explained that there is less egg content in the H1N1 vaccine than in the normal seasonal flu vaccine. In the normal seasonal flu shot there is vaccine for about 3 different strains of flu which are grown separately in 3 different egg cultures. The H1N1 vaccine is only for 1 strain of flu so only one egg culture is used to produce it. I hope my explanation makes sense. I am trying to remember the terms the doctors used.

My daughter had a strong positive skin test to egg today but was completely negative for the vaccine. From what I could see it seemed like all or most of the egg allergic kids at the clinic today got the vaccine.

Last edited by katec on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:28 pm 

Forgot to add that my daughter can now get her 2nd dose in our doctor's office since she safely had the first dose.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:10 pm 

Thanks katec for posting that. It's a relief to hear that so many are safely getting the vaccine. Do you know if any of the kids had any type of reaction (including hives)? How long did you have to stay after the vaccine was given, and can they have a delayed reaction? We have to drive over 2 hrs to get the vaccine, and the app't is about 3:30. We are told that it could take 1-2 hrs, and we are worried about making the drive home if there is risk of a delayed reaction. We are thinking of staying at a hotel just in case.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:17 pm 

We had to wait just a half hour after the shot. The doctors were confident that there would be no delayed reaction given all of the prior testing with the vaccine she had. They skin tested the vaccine on my daughter and injected a small amount under her skin prior to the whole dose (or more accurately half the dose). I can't say for certain that there were no reactions to it but there were definitely no emergencies in the clinic.

Honestly the doctors were quite confident that she would get it safely right from the beginning of the process which led us to believe that most or all of the children there were also safely getting it. We were one of the last appointments of the clinic today.