You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:38 pm 

I was just reading an article about the H1N1 vaccinations in Ottawa and it mentioned that a couple was able to get theirs as they were considered in the high-priority group because their son had an egg allergy and they didn't want to bring the virus into their house. I was just curious how many here have gotten the vaccine for the same reason? We are hoping to get DS vaccinated by his allergist, but who knows how long it will be before that will happen or if he is even able to safely get it. So until then we are trying very hard not to get sick ourselves (lots of handwashing and purell). DH and I plan on getting the vaccine as soon as it is available for everyone, but would we be considered eligible to get it now?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:00 am 

Yes, I got the vaccine on Tuesday (along with my 4 year old) because my 20 month old is allergic to eggs. But I'm in BC its the family doctor that administers the shot here. DH is a healthcare worker and already got his shot, so between the 3 of us hopefully she'll be protected. But she goes to daycare so....

Actually DH just suggested I call the allergist about whether he would recommend attempting the shot for her. Her egg numbers are >100 so she's highly allergic, even to contact. So I assumed it was out of the question for her to get the shot. But the risk of getting H1N1 is so high that its worth a conversation.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:22 pm 

Yes our family is eligible here in Ontario. I called our local health unit to confirm this last week. If a household member is in the high risk category for complications from H1N1 (in our case our daughter has asthma) and can't receive the vaccine (in our case because of the egg allergy) then all family members are eligible for the vaccine. Check the Ontario H1N1 website.

We got tomorrow to Sick Kids tomorrow hopefully she will be able to receive it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:34 pm 

katec wrote:
Yes our family is eligible here in Ontario. I called our local health unit to confirm this last week. If a household member is in the high risk category for complications from H1N1 (in our case our daughter has asthma) and can't receive the vaccine (in our case because of the egg allergy) then all family members are eligible for the vaccine. Check the Ontario H1N1 website.

We got tomorrow to Sick Kids tomorrow hopefully she will be able to receive it.

Thanks. We are in Ontario also, DS has asthma and we also deal with croup, bronchitis and chest infections numerous times over the winter. I am terrified of bringing it home to him, so I think DH and I should go get the vaccine as soon as we can. Figures though, I'm just getting over a sinus/chest cold and our local area only has one day planned (so far) for the vaccine and that's in two days. Hopefully I will feel well enough to go get it.