You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:27 pm 

My 11 year old daughter has not had any allergies except to penicillin until now. Last month I bought a turtle cheesecake for my husband's birthday and shortly after she became itchy all over and had some small hives appear. I got some benadryl which worked. Last week problems with cake again while visiting we had a white cake with whip cream and hersheys kisses and all over itching again. What has me stumped is tonight I bought some kettle corn which is made locally. All it contains is popcorn, corn oil and salt. Very basic but her throat started hurting, hives appeared and she became shaky. No ANA reaction (yet?) so I gave her benadryl. I have an allergy shot due Tues so I will ask my allergist and get her an appointment but that will be a few months. What is confusing me is trying to isolate the allergen that is causing this. All we can think of is caramelized sugar since that is the only thing in common with the popcorn.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:27 pm 

Did the kettle corn have corn syrup as the base for the caramel? Corn syrup and caramel color are notorious allergens, there's a lot of hidden additives, preservatives and dyes. If she can eat homemade popcorn at home and cannot eat the kettle corn, it should help isolate the allergen (in the syrup or the dye). Corn syrup and dyes will probably be in the other desserts too. -B

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:34 am 

No advice, but just wanted to say that must be frustrating to not know what she is allergic to. Good luck finding out and hope the allergist's waiting list is not too long.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:37 pm 
Site Admin

I hope you figure it out soon! My only suggetion is to keep a food diary and you'll be able to pin it down that way.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:51 am 

When I went for my allergy shots this morning I asked my allergist about this and he told me to e-mail a history form in so he can see her as soon as possible. Right now she has a cast on her arm and absolutely will not have the tests on her back so it will be done soon after the cast is off. The allergist told me 30% of allergies show up at puberty which my daughter is going through. I will keep a food diary to get an idea of specific allergens to test for. It turns out she ate a chocolate pizza from Boston Pizza 15 min before eating the popcorn and the ingredients says may contain tree nuts which I am thinking is the problem especially since I cannot eat hazelnuts.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Dalbai,

But pls. don't assume it's nuts - the allergic tendency is inherited, not the specific allergy.

The problem you've got is one I went through when I was trying to figure out adult onset allergies - the foods are too "complicated". There are too many ingredients/potential allergens to judge by.

Susan's right - keep a food diary, but that means writing all ingreds. of what DD eats. Try to keep daughter eating simpler foods and avoiding fast foods with hidden ingreds and oils and preservatives - that makes it really hard to tell what's causing the reactions.

You do have an auto-injector? Did the allergist say to use it if she gets hives / "shaky" again? I'd be a little worried about that latter symptom, sounds a bit anaph.-like.