You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:34 am 

I have heard and read extremely conflicting info on almond allergies.. and I'm hoping someone here knows the facts.

First, if it's relevant, even though they aren't (?) related, I am also severely allergic to soy, and moderately allergic to peanuts, and recently found out topical coconut gives me dermatitis (not officially tested, but upon removing all topical coconut products, the skin immediately began healing).

I am wondering if these could possibly be almond reaction symptoms :
* Dyspepsia
* Spells of extreme stomach distress (nausea, shaking, weakness) that last 1-2 hours
* Feeling the almonds are a little "caught in my throat" for very hours after eating/swallowing
* Sinus headaches and drying, stuffy nose, tonsils swelling and voice straining

--
Some sources have said this can be some typical allergic reactions to almonds, while others say it's exclusively swelling, tingling, or numbing of the mouth and throat area and/or vomiting. So which is it?

The reason I suspect almonds.. I keep very close tabs on my very restricted diet, and the timing fits. As a precaution, I am getting tested for H. Pylori (stomach ulce causer), but because of the extreme coincidence in symptoms and consumption, I thought it was worth looking in to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:56 am 
Site Admin

There is no one typical reaction for any allergen. There is a list of possible reactions. Reactions can include one or all of these. Reactions are not always the same and just because you have hives with one reaction doesn't mean you'll have hives next time. It can vary even in an individual and even with the same trigger.

Take a look at the list. If you have a reaction with more than one system affected, that's an anaphylaxis reaction. You don't need the mouth,tongue or throat to swell.

Quote:
Signs & symptoms

Signs and symptoms of a severe allergic reaction can occur within minutes of exposure to an offending substance.

Reactions usually occur within two hours of exposure, but in rarer cases can develop hours later.

Specific warning signs as well as the severity and intensity of symptoms can vary from person to person and sometimes from attack to attack in the same person.

An anaphylactic reaction can involve any of the following symptoms, which may appear alone or in any combination, regardless of the triggering allergen:
Skin: hives, swelling, itching, warmth, redness, rash
Respiratory (breathing): wheezing, shortness of breath, throat tightness, cough, hoarse voice, chest pain/tightness, nasal congestion or hay fever-like symptoms (runny itchy nose and watery eyes, sneezing), trouble swallowing
Gastrointestinal (stomach): nausea, pain/cramps, vomiting, diarrhea
Cardiovascular (heart): pale/blue colour, weak pulse, passing out, dizzy/lightheaded, shock
Other: anxiety, feeling of “impending doom”, headache, uterine cramps in females
Because of the unpredictability of reactions, early symptoms should never be ignored, especially if the person has suffered an anaphylactic reaction in the past.

It is important to note that anaphylaxis can occur without hives.

If an allergic person expresses any concern that a reaction might be starting, the person should always be taken seriously. When a reaction begins, it is important to respond immediately, following instructions in the person’s Anaphylaxis Emergency Plan. The cause of the reaction can be investigated later.
The most dangerous symptoms of an allergic reaction involve breathing difficulties caused by swelling of the airways or a drop in blood pressure indicated by dizziness/lightheadedness or feeling faint/weak. Both can lead to death if untreated.

http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca/pages/default.asp?catid=13&catsubid=15

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:23 pm 

Allergy is a disorder of the immune system often also referred to as atopy. Allergic reactions occur to normally harmless environmental substances known as allergens; these reactions are acquired, predictable, and rapid. Strictly, allergy is one of four forms of hypersensitivity and is called type I (or immediate) hypersensitivity. It is characterized by excessive activation of certain white blood cells called mast cells and basophils by a type of antibody known as IgE, resulting in an extreme inflammatory response. Common allergic reactions include eczema, hives, hay fever, asthma, food allergies, and reactions to the venom of stinging insects such as wasps and bees.

Mild allergies like hay fever are highly prevalent in the human population and cause symptoms such as allergic conjunctivitis, itchiness, and runny nose. Allergies can play a major role in conditions such as asthma. In some people, severe allergies to environmental or dietary allergens or to medication may result in life-threatening anaphylactic reactions and potentially death.

A variety of tests now exist to diagnose allergic conditions; these include testing the skin for responses to known allergens or analyzing the blood for the presence and levels of allergen-specific IgE. Treatments for allergies include allergen avoidance, use of anti-histamines, steroids or other oral medications, immunotherapy to desensitize the response to allergen, and targeted therapy.

The medical specialty concerned with allergies is allergology.

Risk factors for allergy can be placed in two general categories, namely host and environmental factors. Host factors include heredity, **, race, and age, with heredity being by far the most significant. However, there have been recent increases in the incidence of allergic disorders that cannot be explained by genetic factors alone. Four major environmental candidates are alterations in exposure to infectious diseases during early childhood, environmental pollution, allergen levels and dietary changes.