You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: H1N1 questions
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:47 pm 

We had to wait 10 min after the skin test, then 30 min after the 1st (10% of the 1/2 dose) and another 30 min after the 90% of the half dose, so we were there for a good 1.5 hours. And because my kids are under 9 and have never had a seasonal flu shot, we have to go back for the other 1/2 dose in a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:29 am 

Alison's Mom wrote:
Yes, see what he says - he's really good about getting back to people with questions, too. My DD's last egg numbers were only 11 and 5 (for white and yolk), and my son only had a scratch test and definitely more severe than his sister's, but nowhere near 100.

I called and spoke to the receptionist. I guess they only had that clinic the 2 days last week and he's not doing any more. So they are going to fax me instructions/guidelines to take to my family doctor to decide whether she should get the shot.

Obviously I should have called his office earlier. It just never even occurred to me that she might be able to get this shot when she can't have the flu shot (and we had to wait in the Dr's office for an hour after taking the MMR just in case she had a reaction... which she didn't).

But thanks for the info! I'm happy to see so many kids are able to get the shot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:22 am 

My daughter got hers at a special clinic on Saturday at Ste. Justines. They started her with a scratch test (she reacted to it, but not horribly). They split her dose, gave her the 10% in one leg and we waited 20 minutes, the other 90% in the other leg and she did react to that, she got a rash on her legs and torso with mild discomfort. They gave her benadryl, and tehy said that was pretty much the only type of reaction they were seeing even in severely allergic children (RAST score unknown for eggs - but her first reaction was frightening). We had to re-dose her benadryl later that day and twice the day after for minor rash re-occurances and her eczema flared up quite a great deal since then, but i'm glad she got the shot, and i'm sure I wont be getting her the regular flu shot if she reacted to this one like that! We'll have to talk to the allergist (our first appointment is the first week of december, lucky they snuck us in as an emergency case, or the watiing list was 18 months).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:59 am 

I'm egg-allergic, and had my H1N1 vaccination. I had it done in a mass vaccination clinic with everyone else, because I called my allergist's office at the hospital, and no vaccine was available to their clinic. Just astonishing.

So I took my chances, premedicated with Benadryl, had 3 Epipens ready and waiting in my purse, and my husband was there, ready to handle things if I couldn't.

I was perfectly fine. I'm able to take the regular seasonal flu vaccine as well. When I first had the seasonal flu vaccine a few years ago, my allergist tested the vaccine on my skin and proceeded to inject over about 2 hours to be on the safe side.

However, I caught the flu anyway because it was already in our house before we were fully immune. Oh well. It was a pretty bad flu, but fortunately, we had a plan in place and I began taking Tamiflu within 48 hours of the first obvious symptoms.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:40 pm 

My mom heard that Health Canada is now advising children with chronic health conditions to get the second half dose of the vaccine. Healthy children over 3 do not have to return for a second dose. I will look this info up on their website and post a link to confirm this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:35 pm 

I checked the health Canada website and children between 3 and 9 with chronic health issues should receive the second dose of the vaccine. Here is the link: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/alert-alerte ... n1-eng.php

I will have to make an appointment now for her second dose. I would have missed this information. I haven't heard it in the media.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:47 am 

Well, we saw our family doctor today and he discouraged me from getting DD the vaccine based on the severity of her egg allergy. Her RAST is >100. At this point in time, she goes to a small daycare two morning a week, and all the kids there are vaccinated as are the rest of us in the family, so her risk of exposure is small. We'll revisit the issue if this becomes an annual shot.

I'm feeling relieved just to have made a decision. On of the DH's colleague is egg-allergic and she had her shot given in 10 small doses! I can't imagine doing that to my 2 year old - she'd be traumatized for life!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

Good grief - don't think of heard of this before.
You certainly have a point about a 2 yr old.

Quote:
On of the DH's colleague is egg-allergic and she had her shot given in 10 small doses! I can't imagine doing that to my 2 year old - she'd be traumatized for life!