Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

I'll try to post some recipes tonight but I haven't had any troub le adapting my old recipes to eggless, milkless ones. I substitue shortening for butter and the oil, water and baking powder mixture for the eggs.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:54 pm 

Here is my recipe for sugar cookies. I love it and everyone who eats the cookies really likes them too. Even if we didn't have allergies, I would use it. I use it for holidays to cut out special shapes. It came from an allergy cook book, Special Foods For Special Kids.

Sugar Cookies - egg, nut and milk free

1/2 cup dairy free margarine chilled (I also add 1/4 cup shortening)
1 cup sugar
3 tsp egg replacer plus 1/4 cup water (or other egg substitute for 2 eggs)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 (I think I only set mine to 330).
Cream margarine, shortening and sugar until smooth.
Add egg replacer and vanilla.
Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl and gradually add to sugar mixture until dough forms.
Wrap in wax paper and chill until firm.
Roll small portions of dough on floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness.
Cut into 2 inch rounds or use cutter of your choice.
Sprinkle with sugar
Bake on ungreased cookie sheet (I use parchment paper) for about 8 minutes.
I take the cookies out when the bottom has only a hint of brown. The cookies will be nice and soft to eat then. I love cooking without eggs!
Cool on rack.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:00 pm 

Thanks for the sugar cookie recipe. Looking forward to trying it out. My kids love baking with me and it is alot of work so i would rather try a recipe i know is good, than have it be a flop!

I'll have to get my baking apron on this week.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:40 pm 

Hi everyone,

Yesterday, had a frustrating afternoon baking. I have often made "peanut butter cookies" with I.M. Healthy soy nut butter with success. So, I saw these cute reindeer peanut cookie balls that can be made to look like reindeer. My four year old daughter helped me roll them into balls. I thought they were a little crumbly but thought they would be OK when done. Boy was I wrong, I guess soy nut butter is a little drier so I should have compensated for that. They just crumbled in my hands. My daughter was in tears and frankly so was I.

I think I will stay away from recipes that include peanut butter and stick to my usual. Today, I made some chocolate shortbread cookies and I must say they are yummy!!.

son - born 1998, allergy to peanut, nuts, sesame, shellfish and kiwi; a bunch of allergies to plants, animals, etc. and asthma
daughter - born 2003, no known allergies

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:31 pm 

I have used No Nuts Peabutter for lots of recipes (traditional peanut butter cookies, chocolate peanut butter squares, muffins, etc) but have not tried balls before. (Maybe I will have to try them!) Have you tried this product? In my city, only Sobeys carries No Nuts and unfortunately places it right in the peanut butter section of the grocery store. No Nuts has no salt or sugar so you have to add a little more than the recipe calls for to make it taste right.

The Dec/Jan Canadian Living has a section with some gluten, dairy & sugar free sweets for the holidays. Nothing yet that is nut free! You can also find them at http://www.canadianliving.com/food/menu ... sserts.php

Happy Baking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:16 pm 

I have used the "Kraft Canada" recipies for Christmas baking and they have worked wonderfully (with a few key substitutions!). I made Candy Cane chocolate mint cookies, graham wafer chocolate bark, and white jam cookies. I used the plain Toffutti "Better Than Cream Cheese" wherever they asked for cream cheese and the President's Choice Decadent Chocolate chips. For the bark they call for white chocolate to be marbled with the dark chocolate and I just made a thin icing out of icing sugar and rice milk and it worked really well. Also instead of the white chocolate on the candy cane chocolate cookies I made a mint flavoured icing with icing sugar, peppermint extract and rice milk - worked like a charm!

Post subject: Christmas fruitcake
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:24 pm 

I know there are lots of people out there that hate fruitcake, but I actually like it! Everything on the market has nuts in it, so I would like to try making some! Does anyone have a recipe for nutfree fruitcake? Doing the regular substitutions won't really work since usually I add fruit in place of the nuts!

Post subject: Re: Christmas Baking
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:50 am 

I love fruit cake -- but only my mom's. I'll post both recipes, but, I don't always follow them exact. Kind of depends what fruit I find that safe. This first one lists two sizes. I'm not sure if all ingredients are doubled, or if the fruit is the same with different measurements. Some years are cakes were much fruitier then others. lol

DARK FRUIT CAKE

(1/4) 1/2 lb butter
(3/4) 1 1/2 cup white sugar
(3) 5 eggs beaten separately
(4 oz.) 1/2 lb. candied pineapple
(2 oz.) 1/4 lb. red cherries
(4 oz.) 1/2 lb. figs
(2 oz.) 1/4 lb. almond nuts (I omit completely)
(1/2) 1 lb. raisins
(1) 2 tsp. baking powder
(1/2) 1 lb. currants
(1/4) 1/2 mixed peels
(1/2) 1 cup strawberry jam
(1) 2 cups flour
(1/2) 1 tsp. cinnamon
(1/4) 1/2 tsp. cloves
(1/2) 1 tsp. nutmeg
(1/4) 1/2 salt

Cream sugar and butter, add eggs, one at a time. Add jam, flour and other dry ingredients and fruits alternately.

Bake in very slow oven 4 hours. Not more heat then 300 d. F.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:53 am 

WHITE FRUIT CAKE

1 1/2 cup butter
2 cups white sugar
6 eggs
1 cup milk
2 tsp. cream of tarter
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 lb. candied pineapple
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 pkg. white raisins
1/2 lb. red cherries
1/2 lb. citron peels
1/2 lb. green cherries
1/2 lb. almond nuts (I omit completely)
4 cups flour
vanilla
lemon and almond flavouring - about 1/2 tsp. each (I also omit the almond flavoring, though there are safe brands)

Bake 4 hours at 300 d. F.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:57 am 

With both cakes, what I do is take parchment paper and grease it with butter - then I line it inside bread pans and fill about 3/4 full.

When it's done, I let it cool completely. Cut off any parchment sticking above the cake, wrap the entire thing in plastic wrap and then in tin foil. Stick it in a cool place. I usually try to make these in September so they have time to ripen before Christmas.

This year (for the first time) I plan to try making a rum sauce - preferably without the rum though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:38 pm 

Wow! Anna Marie, thank you soooooo much for the 2 recipes. I cannot wait to try them! I am making my grocery list now! I appreciate all of your hints as well. I will let you know how the turn out. :happydance

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:30 am 

Just realized, I usually cut that white recipe in half. Of course, it depends how many people you are serving it to. Also, it keeps for a really long time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Great recipe in the Winter 2010 issue of Allergic Living Magazine!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:56 pm 

Thanks Susan,

I finally got my magazine late last week and that recipe looks fabulous too. It is going to be hard to choose which one to use!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

Oooh, I just found this recipe!
Here's the recipe I promised. As I said, I have not made it yet. It's from FAAN's Dec 2009-Jan 2010 newsletter.

3 3/4 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
pinch cinnamon
1/2 cup milk-free margarine
1/4 cup vanilla soy beverage
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Line an 8x8 pan with foil, allowing foil to extend over sides. Grease foil.

In medium bowl, combine confectioners sugar, cocoa powder, and cinnamon. Set aside.

In a small saucepan, over medium low heat, heat margarine and soy beverage. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.

Pour into sugar mixture, blending well.

Pour into prepared pan.

Refrigerate one hour or until firm. Use foil to lift out of pan. Cut into 2 inch squares.

Last edited by _Susan_ on Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
change ammount of cinnamon from dash