You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: frustrated!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:12 am 

While reading the winnipeg sun, i came across this article. :evil: It has made me very frustrated with some peoples attitudes against allergies!
http://winsun.canoe.ca/News/Columnists/ ... 68285.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:31 am 

Thanks for the article

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:38 am 

My daughters age 4 1/2 and 2 1/2, since finding out about their allergies, have never ingested their allergens. We had a few minor cross contamination reactions when we still had milk in the house and were trying to be "careful". We haven't had any reactions at home since making the house allergen free.

We have had numerous contact reactions out in public.

My peanut allergic daughter reacted to a toy phone once. She had hives all over her face.

My milk,egg, chicken, beef allergic daughter has reacted to library books, a bar at gymnastics, shopping cart, toys at other daughters ballet class, other kids touching her, and kisses on the face fromother kids and mother in law.

No amount of teaching my kids about allergies could have prevented any of these. Other kids spread them around. Schools where kids eat their allergens and spread them around are very dangerous situations. I CAN teach my child to not eat anything that does not come from home, but sometimes they will be kids. I can not however teach every other child to :
-wash their hands immediately after eating, and touch nothing until you do
-wash their face
-change your shirt if you slopped on it
-do not spill your food
-do not have a "food fight" in the lunchroom
-do not let your food touch the table
-do not kiss allergic kids on the mouth or cheek or anywhere
-do not put classroom materials in your mouth
-do not put your mouth on the water fountain
-do not use your food in a malicious manner towards allergic kids

It is because of some of these reasons that schools need to be allergy free. We should not allow kids into schools with items capable of killing other kids. It is an accident waiting to happen. How would a parent who fights for the right of their child to have peanut butter at school feel if their child ( who has already witnessed his parents anger towards alleric kids ) used his food to cause another child to have a serious allergic reaction or die. Kids have turned guns on each other in schools! If armed with peanut butter everyday, OF COURSE incidents like this would take place.

In junior high, if a boy breaks up with a girl and starts dating another girl ( with a food allergy ), would the dumped girl hold her down and stick peanuts in her face?

This is in everyones best interest. Allergic kids, kids that might be malicious, kids that might accidently cause a reaction, or horrified kids who watch another child have anaphylaxis and die. If allergens were allowed in schools non allergic kids could wind up in trouble with the law or feeling guilty for contributing to an accident and/or feeling traumatized at seeing an allergic reaction, or watching a friend die.

Last edited by saskmommyof3 on Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

It takes a village to raise a child.
I don't expect the rest of the village to hold her hair while she throws up, hod her hand at the hospital, listen to her fears at night, dry her tears when she is not invited to another party because well, she couldn't eat anything anyway.
I just ask that she be kept safe while she gets her education. Children are entitled to a public education in this country.
I just ask that for a few hours, one meal, they send something different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:06 am 

Excellent responses. Gotta wonder sometimes how other people cannot understand the severity of anaphylaxis. The mother in the article said she is peanut allergic. Should she not know that there are other ways of having a reaction than just ingestion???? I myself go into anaphylactic shock if i SMELL cooked chicken even for a few mins. At my school (private college) they have seen me go into many reactions where they had to administer my EpiPen, and perform artifical respirations. Now most people have learnt everywell from those sitituations, and stopped bringing chicken to school they either a) don't bring it, b) go eat where i will not be, and will let me know not to come into that part of the school. It really is not that hard to just keep that kinda stuff at home.

Doesn't this make you want to just get out and teach the public on allergies??? I know I do!

grrrr.... still frustrated! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:21 pm 

WOW I read that article and was immediately frustrated. My god, as parents of allergic children we have to come up with alternatives, it's really not that hard, so why can't they for the sake of saving a child's life. I too have seen my daughter react from someone kissing her on the cheek - this was really a wake up call. I am now talking with her principal and teacher to make the school a safer place. I too am a teacher and know that in my classroom there will NEVER be nuts allowed and part of my curriculum will be to teach children the severity of anaphylaxis allergies. As a community where allergies are on the rise shouldn't children be taught about the severity of it, just as they are taught about bullying and safety. I am glad to see i am not the only one who feels this way. I do scenerios with my daughter but she is only a child and she wants so bad to be like her friends. Thank god her friends are very aware of her situation (thanks to her wonderful kindergarten teacher) and are very supportive of my daughter.
Thanks for sharing,
Shelley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:53 pm 

Grrr... that is frustrating to read. Until parents of non-allergic children have walked a mile in the shoes of parents of allergic children, they really cannot fathom what we go through. I realise this everyday. But I did not realise this prior to having a child with severe food allergies. As a parent to a child diagnosed with food allergies at 12 months of age, we have found it very challenging to protect our child during these very young years. Even at 3 years of age, he cannot care for himself. He cannot be expected to care for his own health (nor can he tie his own shoes, zip up his own coat, etc. etc.) Of course, we work very hard teaching him about his allergies, and he often asks us prior to taking food "peanuts in it? sesame seeds in it?" (etc. etc. as his list includes peanuts, tree nuts, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, mustard seed, egg, fish, green peas and pineapple.) (Geez, sometimes I have trouble remembering everything on his list, how can I expect him to remember?)

Of course we are teaching our children to care for themselves, but in the case of young children, cooperation from others is so very necessary as these children cannot yet care for themselves. But we parents of allergic children must always be aware that people are out there that do not realise the impact of introducing these unsafe foods around our allergic child. Surely, if they had a child, or someone in their family with this life threatening condition, they would certainly change their ways. We can never let our guard down and assume our children are ever as safe anywhere else but in the home we have provided. We must do our best to teach our child(ren), and when they are very young, we cannot allow them to have the same freedoms a non-allergic child may have (eg. taking part in birthday party celebrations, playing at a friend's house without us being there to oversee their play, going for a walk up the street without an Epipen attached to their body, etc.)

As much as it is frustrating to read this, and I wish it weren't like this, it is a reality we must always face, be aware of, do our best to guard against, prepare for, and do our best to live with it.

Post subject: allergies in the news
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:50 am 

Being from NB I did not see the original article. I assume it was in ON? The fustration of other people not understanding anaphylaxis is mind boggling. I have adult onset anaphylaxis. Penicillin, shellfish & crustacean with suggestion I stay away from all fish & derivities due to cross contamination. My added problem is that I am on beta blockers (high blood pressure pills) and the epi-pen will probably not be very much use. So I do not have the assurance of help from my epi-pen. So" no reaction at all" is the only answer for me. Allergist & Dr said be totally paranoid.
Even though I have told everyone that "any reaction" whatsoever will have a 99% chance of "killling" me, they still don't get it. Some just don't understand even a crumb on clothing could do it. One response - she's not in the room so I can eat it. To visit anyone for the weekend the whole weekend is stressful. When visiting friends/family I wear gloves and take my own pop/ tea. Invitations are getting less these days. I never eat out, but instead put on dinners here making everything myself. Still at times people don't understand & want to contribute not understanding the possibility of cross contamination from their kitchen to mine.

SusieQ

Last edited by susieQ on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: allergies in the news
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:06 pm 

h

Last edited by susieQ on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:32 pm 

susieQ wrote:

I agree with someone on another part of the forum - say anaphylaxis and they automatically respond - Peanuts? No! Then they treat it as though anything but peanuts is not a big deal. Don't get it? I'll say they don't.
Schools, especially, should know better.

Hi Susie, I honestly didn't know until I got on here and read more info that there were more anaphylaxis allergies then peanuts, fish and milk. Now that I am informed I am more aware of individuals with allergies. My Uncle in law had life threatening allergies to peanuts and fish but I guess until my daughter was diagnosed with anaphylaxis to nuts/peanuts I never really put much thought in to it. I still was careful if I knew of someones allergies but not to the extent that people should be, maybe we need to have Oprah do a show on the severity of allergies -most people watch her or maybe Dr, Phil. They seem to be the only ones that people will listen to.
Shelley

Post subject: talking allergies
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:25 pm 

Shelley, what a great idea :idea: :idea: - Oprah or Dr Phil. You are right, many many people watch those two shows. Think I'll see about getting their mailing address and maybe send the idea on. You never know, they may jump at the chance to do such a show.
SusieQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:29 pm 

I love that idea too!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Dealing with relatives who don't get it. There is a Dr. Phil show!
I am for anything that gets the word out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:59 am 
Site Admin

Two quick things:

1) Allergic Living's Winter issue will feature a really good article by Carolyn Black on allergies & dealling with "the relatives".

2) Re Oprah ... Cindy Paskey, president of the Niagara anaphylaxis group NASK, the key lobbyist for Sabrina's Law in Ont. and huge Oprah fan, is trying to get an e-mail campaign going for an Oprah show about allergies/anaphylaxis and the schools. She suggests we all submit it in the "Ideas for Future Shows" at www.oprah.com. You have to be brief.

You never know, it might grab the interest of one of her producers.. Gwen

Post subject: frustrated
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:45 am 

Gwen, thank you for the advise on e-mailing Oprah. I did just that and rec'd in instant reply that it was received by them. To anyone who reads this - please consider doing the same. thanks again Gwen :)
SusieQ