You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:20 am 

As part of the many grad celebrations, my daughter's highschool organizes a sleepover at the school. It was a fun night, well-supervised filled with many activities for my older daughter who has no allergies. My younger daughter is anaphylactic to peanuts and hazelnuts. There are also at least 4 other students in her grad class who are also severely allergic to peanuts and nuts.
I have contacted the principal to ask what measures will be in place to make this a safe,inclusive event for all grads. I have been referred to a teacher who has been overly busy with tournaments and has leadership students planning most of the night.

How do I word my requests so they are clear and taken seriously? I think the event will be fine and fun if they just do not serve peanut and nut products and remove those products for that night from vending machines. I also want a designated place for students with health issues to know to come for help and all supervisors to know signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis.

My daughter will be packing her own food and epipens. I don't know what the other students will do. This is one more of those occassions where prevention is the easiest course of action.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:44 am 
Site Admin

Great question! :thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:27 pm 

I would ask for a meeting with the teacher and the principal to go over all the details. The teacher appears to be multitasking and when it comes to safety they need to come to a full stop and help with the planning .Call the principal back, explain your concerns once again and ask for meeting where you can all focus on the safety concerns. If it is being left to the leadership group they may not have the knowledge they need to organize the event so it safe for all students and also inclusive. Perhaps you can also offer your help in some of the backroom planning.

Question: What foods are in the vending machines that pose a risk? And if they pose a risk why are they even in the vending machine?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:56 pm 

I received a reply from the teacher today.He listed the planned foods and asked for my input if I see any risks. Better response than I expected.
He said:
Below I have included a menu of what we will be serving the students if you could double check to ensure that it won't pose a risk that would be great.
Pasta, penne, tomato sauce
Garlic toast
Booster juice
Pizza
Sushi
Mock tails
Bagels
Waffles
Cereal Croissants
All Leadership students will be wearing a different colored shirt and will be easy to find. We also have an intro assembly at the beginning of the Sleepover where we will be able to go over the safety procedures. Also we have an identified spot where a group of teachers will always sit and we will pass this on to all the students.

I plan to check sources for the baked goods . I have offered to shop. I live five minutes away and plan to be oncall should my daughter want to come home. I have also asked that adult staff be aware of signs and syptoms of anaphylaxis. Did I miss anything?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:32 pm 

Cathie, does your daughter have a best friend (or two) who she will spend the majority of the night nearby? The next time you see them in a private setting (if they are over at your house etc.) why not causally go over a plan with them. I'm sure they know all about your daughter's allergies already but have a quick 'go through' with regards to symptoms, epipen, where the teachers will be etc..
I hope she has a great time :D

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure where you live so I would make sure that there are adults who are trained on how to administer the auto-injector and ask where it will be kept. (It doesn't hurt to meet them in person and hand them a trainer to show you)

The menu is a start, but what about the labels? I find it hard to believe that they will serve bagels, waffles and cereal croissants with nothing to enjoy on them. (call me cynical)

How old is your daughter? How does she feel about the event? You may want to sit down with her and have her talk to you about how she envisions the event and what suggestions she has to manage it safely. A high school graduate is old enough to be involved in the process of keeping herself safe.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:37 am 

Thank you for your suggestions. Yes my daughter has a terrific circle of allergy aware friends. We have used the trainer with a couple of friends. She will not eat foods provided by the school and will instead pack her own late snack and breakfast items. I wanted the teachers to be thinking and planning around this issue so that surprise items are not appearing everywhere. It was a fun event for her non-allergic sister three years ago. I am sure it can be safe and fun for her too.
I will be thanking the teacher for his response and make him aware of risks for example the frozen yogurt used by Booster Juice has a may contain warning. The fact that he is willing to accomodate is a big step.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:27 am 

The grad sleepover was a safe and successful event. My daughter thought I would be pleased that the first rule established in the assembly was that students were not to have products with nuts or peanuts as a number of classmates had allergies.
Glad to report a successful event.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:19 am 
Site Admin

Glad to hear that it went well! :happydance

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt