You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:19 am 

There are a few people on here who still think Catelli Pasta is safe for egg allergic individuals. Please go to the link on this forum for more information: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5019

After my daughter reacted to it, I had CFIA look into it. They got back to me last week. They called the manufacturer and actually went to the facility in Ontario. Catelli stated that there products are NOT SAFE FOR EGG ALLERGIC INDIVIDUALS. They have two lines in their facility that produce egg products and they said cross contamination is very likely and so they advise that people with egg allergies not consume any Catelli or Lancia products. They are made in the same facility, including their Healthy Harvest line. That came straight from Catelli. I called them also to verify, and they did confirm that their pasta is not safe for egg allergic individuals.

Noha

http://www.allergymom.ca

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:27 am 
Site Admin

Does Catelli issue a precautionary statement on this product?

Currently, precautionary statements are voluntary. :abduct

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:58 am 

Susan..

I asked about the precautionary statement and was told by Catelli, and I'm quoting here, that "they do not feel it is necessary to put the statement on because it is voluntary and they think that their products are safe but for those allergic to trace amounts of egg, their products are definitely not safe." And that was before CFIA contacted them. Bottom line is, CFIA and the labelling department think that Catelli should put a warning but because it is voluntary and cross contamination happens in trace amounts, there is nothing CFIA could do, unless others complain of reactions too. Currently, they think what happened to my daughter is an isolated incident (twice, go figure). Nonetheless, they still say that their products are not safe for consumption by egg allergic individuals.

So in short, here's what I understood: they will not put a warning label on because the law does not require them to do so. Only when it does, will they put a warning on, but if you call them to inquire they will tell you that their products are not safe for egg allergic individuals.

Verdict: Avoid Catelli Products.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

Noha, I hope you don't mind that I split this thread. I felt that your point deserved it's own thread.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:20 am 

Susan.. thanks. I'd just hate to see someone else get hurt or feel sick. I hope more people get the info about Catelli. And if anyone wants to inquire further, I still have the info of the gentleman from CFIA who is in charge of the case.

Noha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:20 pm 

I love how I read this as me and DF were eating Catelli. We've been very lucky that we haven't had anything happen yet.

Thank you for bring this to everyone's attention.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:47 pm 

Wow!! I wonder if that is why our son adamantly refused to eat pasta all last year. I had called and was told it was egg safe so we tried over and over and over to get him to eat it. He was anaphylactic to eggs from an infant up until this past Aug. when he was tested/blood and rast/and oral challenge to have outgrown egg.

Thank you for sharing this, do companies not understand that total honestly makes us feel more secure in their product/company. We LIKE full information as that way we can make our own choice as to if it is safe for us as an individual or not.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:49 am 

I called Catelli last week (February 2010) - the lady said the pasta was not safe for egg allergic - and that all boxes should have the egg warning now - we might of had an old box

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies