You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:13 am 

My aunt recently had a test done with a metal bar where they use some conducting fluid and a metal bar to test for allergies. A co-worker has this too. The web site for a local clinic offering it says it is 85% accurate. I am very curious about this. I tested positive on allergist-administered tests to things I have eaten without incident, and tested negative to things which always give me a reaction. I have also had reactions where no obvious cause was apparent to me. On the one hand I am a little nervous that I will go in and they will give me a list of 100 things I can't have. On the other hand, if my health could be improved by avoiding certain things, I would be open to trying that. So are such tests hocus-pocus, or is it worth doing? I would have to pay for it myself...

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Last edited by ficbot on Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:58 am 
Site Admin

You say the local clinic makes statements about this on their website? What are they calling it?
I can understand your desire to discover what you are allergic to and to be able to avoid all triggers but I am skeptical of this without further information.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

If it's not a test for IgE - either skin prick or blood test, it's not a sanctioned allergy test.

There are a lot of false claims out there re allergy. You don't want to be told to avoid foods you have no issue with.

Re skin prick tests coming out negative. Despite all the talk of "false positives", I too once had a false negative to shellfish mix. Was taken aback since I'd already anaphylaxed to shrimp. The allergist didn't buy it. We did a followup where he skin-tested me with bits of actual shrimp and lobster - huge wheals. He said there was no doubt of the allergy; I hadn't outgrown it or some such. He wasn't sure what happened with the extract but thought it might have lost potency (he was going to replace it).

I know the inexact nature of skin prick testing is frustrating, but this is why the allergists stress that "history of symptoms" is also so important. And why they'll sometimes do the blood tests as well.
I still put my faith in those who study the immune system rather than those who want to test my "electro-magnetic energy" and such. The latter just doesn't make sense - when you consider the science of how allergy works in the body.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:16 pm 

Agree with Gwen - stick with IgE allergy testing, I have questioned many allergists about other types of testing (since people are always suggesting it to us) and most of them reply very politely that all other types of testing is just bunk. A metal bar? Seriously? How could that possibly predict what the immune system - arguably the most complex group of cells in your body - would do to a given food???

Save your money, most of this type of testing just results in people restricting their diets unnecessarily, which will only make your health worse.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:43 am 

Here's the website:
http://www.redpaw.net/

They are calling it 'electro-dermal' testing using 'Interro / Omega Acubase / IQS™,' with measures histamine and non histamine responses. It says it is 85% accurate. They also offer testing for chemical sensitivities and candida and other things. I think this is where my co-worker went, and my aunt has this same testing done at a different clinic.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:03 am 
Site Admin

Sounds a lot like Vega testing.

http://www.mja.com.au/public/guides/vega/vega.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb