You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:35 pm 

Hey everyone i am new to this site and i have been searching for the best vanilla/yellow birthday cake recipe. My daughter has a dairy, egg and wheat intolerance and it is hard to find a cake that will bake and stay moist like a boxed cake.

I have been making my kids birthday cake for 8 years now and all the other recipes just dont compare. I use spelt flour for a wheat substitute but i am finding that the eggs are the problem and i have tried applesauce, egg replacer but nothing works right.

My oldest daughters birthday is on April 4 and i would like a cake for everyone to eat that they all will like not having to make my other daughter a separate cupcake.

Thanks for you help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

Have you tried the baking powder, oil and water combination egg replacer?

1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tbsp oil
1 1/2 tbsp water

Mix together and use as an egg. Can be doubled or tripled if recipe calls for two or three eggs. Personally, I don't even mix it together but I add the extra baking powder to the dry ingredients and the oil and water to the wet ingredients.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:33 pm 

I always use the baking powder combination and it works great for us.

I used to use the boxed egg replacer but I find the baking powder combination works much better than the expensive box of egg replacer.

daughter allergic to dairy,eggs,peanuts, soy, intolerance for potatoes, whole wheat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:50 am 

Here are a whole bunch of recipes that, combined, should work for you. They always have for me! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the non-wheat flour mix that I used to use when avoiding wheat. (We did not use spelt since it's an ancient form of wheat and I just didn't want to take a chance, but I realize different people have different levels of sensitivity.)

4 cups white rice flour
1 1/3 cup corn starch
2/3 cup tapioca starch
6 tsp xantham gum (powder - found in health food stores)

Total: 6 cups

Here is my tried-and-true, never fails, cake recipe. Just omit the cocoa for a vanilla cake. The beauty is - there are no subs. It's free of dairy and egg from the get-go.

Chocolate or Vanilla Cake

1.5 cups all-purpose (or non-wheat) flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup white sugar
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 Tbsp cocoa (or same amount of melted chocolate chips )
1 1/4 cup hot water

1. Pre-heat oven to 350º F.
2. Measure flour into an 8" x 8" baking pan. (Or, if making cupcakes, measure into large bowl, ideally one from which you can easily pour. I use an 8-cup measuring bowl.)
3. Mix in remaining dry ingredients (sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa – sifted is best, and salt). Omit the cocoa if making a vanilla cake.
4. Make 3 holes (about the size of a golf ball) in the flour mixture.
5. In hole #1 put the vinegar. In hole #2 put the vanilla. In hole #3 put the oil.
6. Pour in the hot water.
7. Mix very well with a fork or whisk. Add more water if dough seems stiff (I never have).
8. Bake 25 minutes or perhaps more. (Regular size cupcakes: 17 minutes)

Freezes well. Frost with cocoa or vanilla frosting (below) and cover with safe candies or sprinkles.

Cocoa Frosting

1/2 cup margarine , softened
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 2/3 cups unsifted confectioners sugar (icing sugar)
1/4 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Beat margarine on medium speed in large mixer bowl until softened, about 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients. Beat on low speed until ingredients are moistened. Beat on medium speed until creamy. I have not tried omitting the cocoa to make this vanilla, but I do not see why it would not work.

Keeps for a long time in the fridge.

Vanilla icing
(modified recipe from Artistic Cake Design, Ottawa – used for wedding cakes, etc.)

1 lb Crisco shortening
1 kg icing sugar
½ cup water
1 Tbsp vanilla (clear is best but regular is fine)

In mixing bowl of KitchenAid mixer, combine all 4 ingredients. Use large paddle to mix. Mix on low for 1 minute. Scrape down paddle and sides of bowl. Mix again on low for 1 minute.

Makes 4 lbs of icing – definitely enough for one character cake.

When made with meringue powder (egg), I was told that it will last 3 weeks in fridge or 3 months in freezer. I have kept it for much longer than this.

For “flat” icing: add extra 1-2 Tbsp water to thin it out. For thicker icing: add more icing sugar.

Colour using professional cake decorating colours (e.g. by Wilton), not the cheapo food colouring from the grocery store.

Hope this helps! I think you will really like the cake recipe. My kids and husband adore it - and the kids are really picky and usually don't like the desserts I make. Sniff, sniff...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:27 pm 

Thanks i am going to try that this weekend, My youngest has her 2nd birthday and 6 days later my oldest has her 8th.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:58 pm 

Have you considered baking sweet bread instead? Bread requires only 5 basic ingredients - spelt, water, yeast, salt and sugar. You can cover it with icing once it is baked.