You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:15 pm 

OMG I almost ******* lost my mind at the mall today. We were sitting in the food court having a coffee, our son was in his stroller laughing and talking to us. We don't eat in restaurants but we do go to the food court so this is a treat for us. Anyway, a lady walked by and so quickly I actually thought I'd imagined it. She cupped one of her hands under his chin her fingers spread out so they rubbed all over his face on both sides. She then squeezed his cheeks and by doing so her fingers rubbed over his lips. It happened so fast, I mean she literally kept walking as she did it. I looked at my husband and he gasped that she actually touched his face ...so I realized I wasn't nuts and grabbed baby wipes to wipe his hands and face. I jumped up to take off after the lady, I can't even tell you how mad I was. My husband told me I couldn't go....might be something to do with me hissing I was going to go punch her in the face. (ok not the most mature reaction and I really wouldn't have but I can tell you that lady would have gotten not just an allergy tongue lashing but a hygene lashing as well. Luckily for that lady I had the emergency bag around my neck and by this time we needed to get out the benedryl as he was starting to scratch at his face. Right up to his hair line on both cheeks and around his eyes and mouth was going red with a couple hives to boot. Thank God benedryl did the trick but I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO mad. I had to fight back the tears for at least an hour afterwards. We went home and I was still so angry I thought I was going to vomit and cry all at the same time. People constantly touch his hands and soother, sometimes I say something, other times it is too fast and I'm more concerned with grabbing his hands to wipe down than yelling at someone. But even without allergies, who ******* smears their hands ALL OVER someone's face. So now his day is off, he gets really crabby after benedryl and now it's 5:30 and he's fallen asleep sitting on the couch, so that means his sleep tonight will be all messed up too. I hate people. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....ok, not all people but a heck of a lot of people at times.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:16 am 

I'm so sorry your son and you were put through this.

I'm always so tempted to touch babies -- they are so cute and cuddly. But, with strangers babies I touch only toes or knees. And I've taught my son (who also loves babies) not to touch hands or faces.

~~

For next time -- invent some weird disease name and when people touch, act very shocked and upset. Tell them he has XXXXX and it's only contagious if you actually touch him -- and they should head straight to the hospital. You get your revenge, without getting arrested for assault. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

What ever happened to personal space? Some people don't think of children as mini people but as objects for their amusement, hmph! :verymad

So sorry that your son's day (in therefore, your day) was upended by this persons behaviour. Your hsuband was right, you would have been too emotional and come off as the one with the problem. Next time, you wipe down your son and attend to him and your husband catch up to the person to inform them that through their actions your families day has just been ruined.

Not that it would change that lady's behaviour, but it might make you feel better. Maybe it's better to position the stroller (if possible) so that he is flanked by attentive parents who can watch out for potential touchers and head them off.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:50 pm 

Isn't it funny that in the day of H1N1 grown ups are hesitant to shake hands now etc. yet they see no problem with smearing their own hand over someone elses face!!!
Quote:
For next time -- invent some weird disease name and when people touch, act very shocked and upset. Tell them he has XXXXX and it's only contagious if you actually touch him -- and they should head straight to the hospital. You get your revenge, without getting arrested for assault.

AnnaMarie that is great! Yah, beats going to the mall security office eh!! :wink: You are both SO right, I would have gone nuts and my husband knew it. A tongue lashing like non other . I don't know how much more we could have done, there is only a couple areas I will even sit with his stroller, he was angled into us (obviouslly not enough). I mean she did it with 100% intent as she leaned in and gave the baby face squeeze. People eat so many things with their hands in the food court, burgers with sesame seeds, cookies, it is endless. Not to mention plain old grimy hands!!
I have thought about it a lot and I think I was extra upset as we had made it through Christmas without incident. We had to opt out of some gatherings altogether as they were too unsafe to even attempt but we did still get out and had a really nice holiday. Our first Christmas where he was aware of what was going on and we had fun, made it special and managed to keep him safe. Friends went out of their way Christmas day, putting anything away which was unsafe (food wise), they cleaned and and had a laundry basket of toys they'd especially wiped down for him, they had just for him UN-opened pringles, chapmans ice cream and triscuits. He only eats a nibble here and there so it was really thoughtful that they made the day special for him (and me as I could relax). So something like this incident just infuritated me.

I was talking to our 10 year old about how nothing can equal the anger and protection of a mother. I told her that when I was little and lived in Kitimat, B.C. we all were taught that if you saw a baby bear......clear out. A baby bear meant a mama bear was nearby and you NEVER mess with a mama bear. I remember blueberry picking in the mountains and seeing two bear cubs, we all knew even at a young age to take off as the mama wouldn't be far away. I tell you , that lady in the mall came too close to my baby bear. :verymad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

BC2007 can understand your response - people will chuck babies' cheeks (which they shouldn't do) - but this example really is over the top.

Keep your hands off your child indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:21 pm 

That's just rude in my books, allergies aside. Some babies/kids get frightened if random strangers walk up to them and start touching them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:22 pm 

Sometimes I wonder if it would be considered anti-social to hang a "don't touch/feed the baby" banner on my stroller with those little signs with the big red circle and line through it and a hand (like don't touch). :rofl

It may be silly, but I'm almost tempted some days because i'm sick of people reaching in and touching her, especially other peoples kids, while their parents just stand there and watch thinking it's the cutest thing in the world. I had a mom get mad at me because I grabbed her kids hand because he was going to touch her face and he had a baggie of goldfish in the other hand, which just screams to me distaster waiting to happen. I just pointed to the bag and said "those can KILL my kid" and walked away quickly, I HATE confrontation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:13 pm 

Cauger, that just might work...
Quote:
hang a "don't touch/feed the baby" banner on my stroller with those little signs with the big red circle and line through it and a hand (like don't touch)
:lol: Tempting!!!
I get so sick of trying to be nice and explain over and over to people to please not touch him. I agree about little kids too, I can't count how many times I've not even had time to explain but had to jump and bodily block a little kid from coming up to our son while in his stroller. The parents usually look all offended roll their eyes saying 'he/she is fine'. No it is not fine, your child is eating a drumstick covered in nuts etc....grrrrrrrr!!

Ah, deep breaths, deep breaths.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:19 am 
Site Admin

Where can we purchase tasers? :freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:05 am 

_Susan_ wrote:

That could get complicated.. you'd have to have 2.. a child voltage and a parent voltage.. too complicated! :rofl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:31 am 
Site Admin

cauger wrote:
_Susan_ wrote:

That could get complicated.. you'd have to have 2.. a child voltage and a parent voltage.. too complicated! :rofl

Aw, I'd just zap an adult 2x...3x max! :roll:

:frightened not really, but it feels kinda good thinking about it...I would yell at the person, "You're lucky I don't have a Taser!" That might get them to thinking! :rofl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:54 am 

LOL LOL,

On an unrelated issue I was emailing Elizabeth Cottam at Blue Bear Aware this week. I joked (without giving details) and said a great idea for a t-shirt would be "My mom is going to snap it one more person touches me" :lol:......although a dual twin jet tazer with one side Jr. and the other side Adult sounds just a little too tempting. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

Ooh! Would she make Baby on Board type signs that attach to strollers (yellow diamond shape)? She could simply print "Don't touch...my mother bites!"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:43 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
Ooh! Would she make Baby on Board type signs that attach to strollers (yellow diamond shape)? She could simply print "Don't touch...my mother bites!"

I'd order one!