You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:11 am 

LOL! Go away for a couple of days and return to find people doin' The Caroline! :lol: And debating it!

Seriously, though, I am all for the at-least-let's-have-a-bit-of-breathing-space greeting. I am not one for the chest squishing mushy hug unless they are the family I live with. Holding an arm across, reaching for a handshake, at least keeps a little bit of distance and does let the person know your preference without you running away and hiding. The whole maneuver might be an awkward dance but so is the fact that you are hugging someone you usually share an office with. . . or shares it with your spouse.

JMHO.

C2
ps There is a woman at my work who *hates* hugging and has let this be known very vocally. Today, though, after our gift exchange, she did give me a little hug (she initiated) and said happy holidays. I was cautious and she noted that and said she appreciated that I knew this wasn't usual for her. As I get where she is coming from, I said no problem. But it really was still an awkward situation!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:36 am 

Except for relatives, this hug and kiss hello thing with acquaintances seems to be relatively new. It's the same thing at my husband's office party: people hugging and kissing at the start of flu and cold season. I only see these people once a year, we're not great friends and yet they're all huggy!

Just shaking hands is bad enough! (I have seen too many guys picking their nose while they are driving! :lol: And it always seems to be guys, have you noticed?)

Is it because in today's cold world, we need more human contacts?

Self - Allergic to housework only

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

Ready for annual double-cheek boozy kiss avoidance.
Practising Caroline's arm manouevre.

The one time when h1n1 may prove helpful. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:22 pm 

I think everyone is so H1N1 aware right now that not so many people are even touching when they greet people.
I know that even at my children's soccer games they are no longer doing the post game handshake. They are instead doing the 'elbow touch'.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

This year, with the remnants of a cold, I had the perfect excuse to do "the Caroline" patented arm move at the bigger of the Christmas parties.
Didn't even have to mention the allergies. Colds and getting sick - now that people "get" in a heartbeat.

With people I know better, am employing the Obama bump.
Now if I could work this into a dance, we'd really have something going on. :banana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:49 pm 

I'm not that comfortable with the double-cheek kiss greeting to start with and most time I get away with a one step back and a quick "no thanks" gesture... Haven't offended anyone yet... I think :lol: . and as I don't automatically extend a hand either... it normally passes pretty good. Especially this year with the H1N1 :P

But I have to admit that with some close friends... it's just an automatic double-cheek kiss without a second thought... but normally if they have eaten fish, they are the ones stepping back and telling me to stay away :thumbsup

oral allergy syndrom to most fruits
(partial list only... and does not include food intolerances)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

Friends like that are great.

I was at a party in November, however, being greeted by a dear friend/former colleague I hadn't seen in ages. He was just about to plant a cheek kiss when I say - "what's that in your hand? what are you eating?"

"Uh-oh," he says. "Peanuts." (There were a couple of dishes of peanuts out.) He went away washed and then we talked sans cheek smooch greeting. This is a person who's usually so mindful of people's allergies (though he's not allergic). But he wasn't expecting to run into us there - and so the peanut eating.