You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:28 pm 

Helen wrote:

I just skimmed through the document quickly, but from what I see, it contains an *excellent* summary of current opinion in clinical allergy and immunology by the two medical experts. worth bookmarking.

I agree - excellent summary, with lots of discussion about "smell reactions" vs actual inhalation of food protein. Once again though, it's strictly limited to the peanut / nut allergens. I realize that this was because those were the allergens that these particular passengers were dealing with, but does the buffer zone include other allergens ... like milk? Cheese dust can be pretty gross....and lots of cheese-type snacks are served on board now.... I must confess, we've never experienced any issues travelling with my son's allergies, have never informed them ahead of time, and never asked for a buffer zone, just watch him carefully, monitor the snacks, and keep the Epipens close. Maybe from now on we'll mention it ahead of time...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:47 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
"Passengers within that zone must be notified of the allergy and asked to refrain from eating peanuts or nuts and products that contain them," the Agency said. "There is no need to make a general announcement to the entire aircraft."

Dr. Sussman had asked for a general p.a. announcement. Unfortunate that CTA didn't not order that.
Maybe Air Canada will choose to go there - it might be easier operationally.

Re the buffer zone - I hope we don't get shunted to the back of the bus.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:57 am 

I had the Global reporter call me earlier today to find out what I thought about this new happening. I had not read about it yet. She will be calling me back tomorrow. When I started to read the -very long- article I was very hopeful by the time I was done I am overwhelmed. I don't think Air Canada is very interested in this, I wonder if they see this as a pandora's box that they are dealing with. I am very pleased with the CTA that they have deemed this a disability as I think it is. I think it is a sit and wait to see what Air Canada will come up with. Baby steps for now. I do not feel a buffer zone is the right choice as then we still have to worry what we touch bathroom door... I know it has been said it is just a little nut/peanut. My point exactly why can't they just serve chips or something. I know we cannot solve all allergy issues (I am ana to coconut) but if we could focus on the top three Peanut Tree Nut and Shell fish. O.K. so with my head swimming and about 52 points I took from that article I need a main idea or three! :freak Not sure what to say to her. Would not want my frustration to come out. Some comments were pushing me to the edge :verymad
(paragraph97) No Almonds for the passengers they were disappointed. Oh Boo Hoo! (don't worry I won't say that)
Then when A/C made her sign a waiver to take the flight :dungetit If they don't think it is such a big deal why would they make her sign a waiver.

Any suggestions I would happily take. Just want to respond in a reasonable manner, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:50 pm 

Wow, the comments on the CBC website are pretty nasty.... I don't get it?? :banghead

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2010/0 ... nuts.html#

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:05 pm 

I don't know about this whole "nut zone" thing. Do they seriously think that a zone is going to somehow limit exposure through cross contamination. Is that zone going to have it's own bathroom, kitchen counter, utensils, and trays for example? We can't ban allergens and the very idea of banning them is what pushes the non-allergic individuals to be so hostile. Realistically, a nut free zone will do nothing in my opinion. It only serves to put the minds of those with nut allergy at ease. My daughter is severely allergic to peanuts, but equally so to milk and eggs. My worry when we travel is not peanut dust; try baby formula (that stuff spreads everywhere as soon as you open the lid), especially when they seat all parents with kids in the same area. Can I tell a mother NOT to bring baby formula on board? Do I really want to starve an 8 month old or force them to drink soy or other milk free formula? That's crazy.

I think the solution to this whole flying with allergen thing is to request that airlines purchase a number of safe meals. That would mean targeting the companies that provide catering to the airlines. Perhaps as a community we should explore an option where a company can make specific safe meals that are free of allergens that airlines can purchase for those who are allergic. That's regarding the food being served on the plane. However, the zone idea is just ridiculous. The entire plane is one zone, and it's not peanut in the air that's a problem. The potential problem here is the risk of cross contamination. Some one who just ate a peanut butter sandwich which they brought from home, and then proceeded to touch the door knob of the bathroom has contaminated everything they touched on the way. The "nut free" zone will not help there, especially when you take other things into account, such as the bathroom is full in the peanut zone so people come over to use the bathroom in the peanut free zone. Think back to the days when they had smoking zones on planes. Did you really NOT smell the smoke in the air even in the smoke free zone? And how many smokers walked into the non-smoking section with their cigarette still in their hands to "visit" their non-smoking friend. Are they going to have someone stand guard over the entry way and inspect people for nut residue?

It just doesn't sound practical or realistic to me, and utterly useless to those with multiple allergies, especially the equally airborne allergens like milk powder, wheat, etc.

Noha

http://www.allergymom.ca

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

I'm flying to get our own NewsReport story finished - with far more detail than other media, fyi.
But hope to get back to you, Noha.

Can't say I agree it's useless - still a big step in the right direction in recognizing this as a genuine health risk. Remember, before this AC's only line was: "bring your meds, we can't guarantee ...."

One huge point to make: you're dealing with an infant. With adults, older kids, AL never recommends eating a meal you haven't prepared yourself on board. A mistake in a restaurant is an ambulance trip away from help. Not so in the skies.

FYI, you'd likely find WestJet more accommodating. Usually pretty good and because of this ruling - about to get better on allergies, I predict.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

FYI, CBC is now running a poll about the nut-free zones here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourview/2010/01 ... rgies.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:17 pm 

Why oh why did I even read the comments. I would rather live with the delusion that people are nice. This just shows how mean people can be. They rate 0 big fat ZERO on the empathy scale. I sure hope they never have to deal with allergy. OR SOME OTHER DISABILITY. I wonder what it would be like to be so perfect. :|

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:25 pm 

Paige, I know how you feel. I can't read that kind of stuff anymore because it makes me feel sick. Unfortunately some people live in their own little world and they show no empathy whatsoever for others. Be happy that having food allergies in your life makes you a better person because if you're anything like me, my allergies have made me more understanding of people with all sorts of illnesses. It really sucks to have to deal with people like that but I believe in karma. Like so many of us have said, I highly doubt they would have that same attitude if their child or grandchild suddenly developed allergies. They would certainly be advocating for them like we are for ourselves or our children/grandchildren.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:59 pm 

You are so right Lisa my tummy feels funny even hours later. I know of someone (my aunt) she had a bad attitude in regards to allergies but since her grandchild now has allergies she has had a attitude adjustment! I do not want others to have to go through this but it would be nice for them to understand.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:33 pm 

I know, Paige, I totally agree. I would never ever wish this on someone but it would be nice if they could walk a mile in our shoes. They seem to think our life is as simple as, I just have to avoid this food, but they don't know everything else that is involved. I still think one of the best articles done by AL was the one on allergies and emotions...people underestimate everything we go through.

At least we have each other though :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:28 pm 

Great to have this place to vent, chat, discuss, learn....

Great to have all our FF (forum friends) :huggy :banana :happydance

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:51 pm 

I really shouldn't have read any of the coments on the CBC website right before heading off to bed. I couldn't resist adding a comment of my own. Okay, am signing off now!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:46 am 
Site Admin

You have to remember that the posts are only from those type of people who are likely to post. There is a certain mentality out there who feel the need to argue everything. If you click on a commenters name, you can see their recent activity. If they are alove the map, they probably fit into this personality.

The other type of poster is someone who has a relationship to the issue. Click on their name and you'll find posts follow topics of intereswt to someone with allergies or related to health, families etc.

My mother, who is a research scientist, used to say that how you find your pool of subjects will have an impact on the results of a questionaire.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

We Forum friends :huggy Paige and her emoticons.

CBC seems to attract more than its share of them of wingnuts.
Guess because it's gov't-funded, they feel a sense of, ahem, "ownership".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next