Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Organic Rice Syrup!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:53 am 

Hi there,

I started developing strange reactions to sugar - hives, fast heartbeat, etc - and my doc said it's likely because the sugar that's distributed in BC is from cane (rather than beet in Alberta), and can cross-react in people who are highly allergic to grasses.

I have a huge sweet tooth, so it was tough to give up.

But now I have discovered a fantastic substitute: Rice Syrup! I never knew there was such a thing, but then I tried this Lundberg product that they had at Whole Foods and it's FANTASTIC. Not too sweet, and has a caramel-like flavour. All organic, no "may contain" worries. Highly recommended.

http://lundberg.elsstore.com/view/category/588-syrup/

Jennifer :D

Post subject: Re: Organic Rice Syrup!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:23 am 
Site Admin

I've seen rice syrup listed as an ingredient but thought it was an industry item. Great to know! :thumbsup
Cooks Thesaurus has this to say about rice syrup
Quote:
brown rice syrup = rice syrup = rice bran syrup = rice malt = yinnie syrup Notes: Health buffs like this because it contains complex sugars, which are absorbed more slowly into the bloodstream. It's about half as sweet as ordinary table sugar. Some rice syrups include barley malt, and may pose a problem for people with gluten allergies. Substitutes: maple syrup (substitute 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons liquid for each cup of brown rice syrup) OR molasses (substitute 1/2 cup for each cup of brown rice syrup) OR barley malt syrup (substitute 3/4 cup for each cup of brown rice syrup) OR honey (substitute 3/4 C honey plus 2 tablespoons liquid for every cup of brown rice syrup)

http://www.foodsubs.com/Syrups.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:34 pm 

Interesting! And what's great about the Lundberg one is it's just 100% organic brown rice - no barley malt, no colours, nothing else.

The only downside is it's a little pricey! At Whole Foods it's $7.99 a jar.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:15 pm 

For some reason, my throat gets slightly itchy with Lundberg rice syrup. Haven't figured it out. Noticed a couple of years ago that they had info. on their site about how they used to use some sort of wheat-based product (an enzyme??) for processing but eliminated it to make it gluten-free. So I've been wondering about whether there could be any soy in it. Not sure. Whatever, it seems to be off limits!

Maple syrup is good, too :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:26 pm 

Definitely no soy or I'd be in the hospital! (Soy is one of my worst allergies)

But I have found that if I swallow it without letting it melt in my mouth or melt on something hot (warm cranberry sauce...mmm) it is irritating to the throat - I think it's just a little too thick to go down fast enough. Ate a big spoonful at one point and it felt super itchy. But no other symptoms since, thankfully!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

Huh, hadn't heard this before:

Quote:
my doc said it's likely because the sugar that's distributed in BC is from cane (rather than beet in Alberta), and can cross-react in people who are highly allergic to grasses.

p.s. Soy allergics unite! Me too. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:47 pm 

It was news to me too! And he's an allergist (as opposed to a naturopath who regularly tells people to stop eating process sugars).

He lived in England for many years, and said some people there had the same problem with beet sugar, but could tolerate cane, or could tolerate cane but not beet.

From what I remember (and we talked about it quite a while ago) he said it's like oils - not a lot of proteins in them, but there can be some, which can affect people who are highly allergic.

When I stopped eating it, the problems went away, which was great, because I had been wrongly suspicious of the foods I was having the sugar with. (Butter, flour, fruits, etc.)

Have to say I miss it though! Used to make a mean batch of shortbread... :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:45 pm 

Jennifer, that about describes my experience with rice syrup! Could just be something irritating in it...might not be an allergy. Hard to say. (although I used to think that cornstarch was naturally irritating like that...now I know it is an allergy... a mild one at the time.) I honestly can't remember whether I got hives or not with this product. Maybe I'll try it again some day. For now, I'm sticking to maple syrup! (I can have sugar, but I try to stay away from the processed stuff.) Oh, and I love Lundberg rice.