You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:32 pm 

I agree with those who previously mentioned that keeping to a consistant rule such as "Only eat food from home" is received by others much better than no thank you. When I would explain that we were preparing our daughter to make safe choices by keeping to a consistant rule people seemed to get it. They were more receptive to the idea that although this consistant rule would prevent mistakes. It took away from their insistence that what they would offer would of course be safe and helped bring understanding that having a consistant rule would protect the child from a mistake someone else could make.

When my daughter was really little I put a button on her that said "Don't Feed Me. I'm Special."
She can laugh about that now that she is a teen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:36 am 

On Dec. 20 I posted that I had a very bad reaction after I had a mini bite of a butter tart. I said I thought I was going to die then went on to say at times I wish I would have. That statement has bothered me in that I don't want parents of allergic children to think that is how it always is when you have a reaction. One I ate the nuts, two I never had and epi, three no hospital. My mother called the doctor and he said to give me an antihistamine! I do believe it was a miracle day that it did not kill me, it was bad. So when I said those comments I just was thinking how different it would have been if I had had an epi and had gone to the hospital (like I have a few times since then) Sorry If I made any parent stress for their children thinking that is how they would feel. :oops

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:10 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
How did the meeting with the teacher/principal go Becky?

Unfortanately it hasn't happened yet. I wanted the teacher involved, but she was on sick leave for the better part of the last few weeks, and I found out that the principal is only filling in on a temp basis, so there was no point in meeting with one and not the other. I did talk to the main assistant (who is very on the ball 99.999% of the time) and insisted that I know the days that the teacher is away so I can talk directly to the subsitute, so far so good and I've been kept informed of who is in charge in the classroom. There are posters in the main office & classroom saying 'ONLY FOOD FROM HOME' next to his picture.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:54 am 

Hi Everyone,

Well, it's that time of year again. I just read this thread and sure relate. Had a few instances over the years too.

Every year at this time, I wonder how many parents are worrying about sending their little ones to school with this added issue.

Do you think if we had a "law" in Alberta people would think a little more before involving food in school activities?

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:08 am 
Site Admin

Sadly, no. We have a back to school BBQ's, pizza parties to celebrate reading challenges, Gingerbread house, building geometric shapes using candy...we used to have more but it has really gone down.

Dd's school has a super principal and administrator who really are aware but the teachers are still following antiquated lesson plans that rely on food/candy a lot!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:48 pm 

Quote:
Sadly, no. We have a back to school BBQ's, pizza parties to celebrate reading challenges, Gingerbread house, building geometric shapes using candy...we used to have more but it has really gone down.

Yes, we have many of those things too, but I think if staff is trained and educated every year - they may think about it more often and at least they know what to do in the event of an emergency.

My DD is not allergic to peanuts, so I have never asked for an ban of anything, although it's been really tough getting annual training, finding out where meds are kept and having my child identified to all staff as well as being told "it's not like it's a peanut allergy" like it's not a big deal.

But that's in Alberta.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

Ack! Dead is dead! :banghead

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb