You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Dried Fruit..NOT safe!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:08 pm 

The only dried fruit I've found without a peanut/tree nut warning was Golden Boy sold at Costco and Superstore no-name brand. Well I just called Golden Boy in Burnaby, B.C. and it turns out they package both products. Get this, the response when I asked if these product were safe was "...we are mainly a peanut butter facility"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I said an warning would be appreciated on the product, the customer service rep. said it works the opposite. Without the 'may contain' warning it is saying it is NOT safe, it has to say peanut free facility to mean safe. I HATE this 'may contain' crap. Last week was flax seed and sesame with the same issue. I trust companies more that do label, then I know they didn't forget to put something on the package.

BTW....Oliviera Pasta (another company I called last week) always will label any top allergen not just if it is an ingredient but if there is any chance at all of contamination or being processed in the same facility/on the same line. Thumbs up to them!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

Yikes! It's true though...currently there is no legislation to force companies to use precautionary labelling. There is also no way to tell if a company is using it or not (or using it correctly).

The only thing we can do is call companies, find out what their policy is regarding precautionary labelling and remember this each time we shop. (Not on easy task)

Make your voice heard the deadline is February 10, 2010.
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/consultati ... p#workbook

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:00 pm 

Even my girlfriend who has no allergies in her family gets it. She had the best metaphor tonight to explain it which cracked me right up. She told me it would be like processing sewage on a line, then saying that you promise you cleaned it really well before then making sandwiches on the same line. Feed these sandwiches to people. After they have eaten the sandwiches emphasize to them that there was only a very slim chance that there would have been poop on their ham and cheese. If they ask why you didn't warn them of that first before eating it just respond that poop wasn't an actual ingredient so you weren't required to indulge them with such a detail!!! :|

Last edited by BC2007 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:15 am 
Site Admin

Good one! :thumbsup

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:52 pm 

Do companies think we have nothing better to do than have to sleuth about to discover what is safe and what is not. The exact company I called, same building, same office, emailed back today. I had orig. emailed then decided to call the number directly. Well I get an email today saying yes they are a nut/peanut free facility! UM???????????

So I call back and basically said I was a little confused about this one. The lady I talked to today said there was only a possibility of 3 people I could have talked to, and yes it was that exact office I had called. She narrowed down who I'd talked to as I knew the time/date I'd called last week. I told this rep. everything I'd been told by her co-worker regarding nuts/peanuts and packaging. She said non of what was told to me was correct and she had no idea why the receptionist I'd called hadn't patched me through to herself and had instead answered questions as if she knew the answers - all totally incorrectly to boot. (this is just too weird) . The orig.lady I talked to didn't even mention there were different buildings. She even told me that if 'SHE' was dealing with allergies she would never ever eat those dried apricots. ???????? The lady I talked to today said the plants are 7km apart, that no one can even enter the dried fruit building from the nut building without all precautions including changing a hairnet in case of nut transfer.

So....Golden Boy dried fruit....also Superstore no-name dried fruit are all packaged by Golden Boy and are from a nut/peanut free facililty. (for today) ????? ODD! :scratchy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:24 am 
Site Admin

Ack! I hope they reprimand her! Actually, both employees where unprofessional and gave out way more information than necessary to answer your questions. :roll:

So...now they're safe? :scratchy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:26 am 

oh my! how to know what is safe?!? I didn't even think about dried fruits... this is really going to take some time to decipher everything DD can eat!

That's crazy that you are getting mixed info!

jacqui

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:03 am 

I love dried fruit, as do my husband and kids. I tell you, finding some with proper labelling has been a no-go.

My solution: I bought a food dehydrator. Now I make my own dehydrated foods like apples, pears, bananas, blueberries, etc.

Allergic to peanuts, peas, cats, dust, ragweed, trees & grass (pollen season)
Toxic reaction to crustaceans.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:27 am 

CracklinRosi, Which dehydrator did you purchase? After this dried fruit confusion we are looking at purchasing one now also. :?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:27 am 

Nesco American Harvest food dehydrator. I picked it up at Wal-Mart, but they're available at places like Canadian Tire and Home Hardware, too. It fits on your countertop. It does increase the humidity in your house and I don't recommend using it on a hot summer day, but there's nothing like fresh-dried (an oxymoron, I know) fruit to snack on.

You can also make your own beef jerky with it as well. They have their own brand name of jerky seasoning, but you can make your own as well. A good place to get recipes for jerky seasoning is Bradley Smoker's website. We also have a smoker where we smoke our meat.

Hope this helps! :P

Allergic to peanuts, peas, cats, dust, ragweed, trees & grass (pollen season)
Toxic reaction to crustaceans.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:23 am 

Most of the Golden Boy dried fruit I've seen DOES have a peanut/tree nut warning. I called about that block of pitted dates because it didn't have a warning and I wanted to be sure, since all of the raisins and dried fruit I'd seen by them has the warning, that it was safe. I was told that it was safe, and that they would label. :?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:35 am 

I must say my faith in this company is totally gone. If what they told me (the second time) about a totally different building for the dried fruit, located km's away from the nut building then I don't see why they would need nut/peanut warnings.....unless this person was incorrect also. I think the bottom line is they have no idea what they are talking about!!
:damnedcomputer How hard is it to get a clear answer!!! I would be curious if a few more people called to see what story they are told.
Did you ask why they need a nut/peanut warning on some dried fruit products if they are 'safe'? :banghead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:28 am 

To CracklinRosi :
please tell me about your meat smoker, that is something my husbund wants to get for yeras...I was always against it...so if you don't mind, tell me how is it working, where do you keep it?
Thanks a lot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:03 pm 

Was shopping to day and found a product that I have never seen before. Fat Cats Golden Plantain. It has a peanut/Nut free logo on it. Just wondering if anyone has tried this product.
www.fatcatsfruits.com I need to look into the coconut issue.