You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:08 pm 

We don't eat eggs and eat very limited dairy in our house. . . add that to the nut/peanut allergies and we end up eating a lot of meat, which I'd like to start cutting down on due to health reasons. I prefer recipes that just don't have eggs/dairy instead of running around looking for substitutions like soy cheese (which doesn't taste all that good), etc.

Our current repertoire includes: pasta with tomato sauce (and sometimes meatballs), lentils with rice, various soups, and various meat and veg dishes like roast chicken with potatoes and carrots, etc. I tried tacos last night, but the kids didn't like it. I'm getting tired of the 'what did you make for dinner? Ewww, I don't like that' from one or both kids. They like these organic chicken hot dogs, but obviously we can't have them every day. They like tofu in soup, pizza without cheese, and they like carbs - bread, crackers, etc. They will eat some carrot or cucumber sticks along with their hotdog if I insist.

Any ideas? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:16 pm 

We eat a lot of meat and potato dishes too but fortunately my kids like potatoes! I have a recipe for potato gnocchi that I want to try out soon. I think my kids might like that for a change and us too. Every so often we have blueberry pancakes and other breakfast fare for supper. This is a huge hit with the kids. We have a recipe for chicken chilli that has corn and beans which they like. I have a pasta dish with chicken and asparagus too which is a favourite. I have a milk and egg free honey garlic chicken wings/thighs recipe.
Sorry I can't think of anything else right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:54 pm 

Just curious - what brand of soy cheese do you use? My son had an anaphylaxis to soy cheese when he was 1 year old, turned out it contained dairy. I have never been able to find a dairy-free soy cheese!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:38 am 

Thanks Kate - yes, my children love 'breakfast for dinner' too, but I worry that they end up eating too many carbs and not enough veggies/good protein.

Momtobunches - sorry, I honestly can't remember the brand of soy cheese we used, and I don't remember if it contained any dairy either, just that it tasted OK melted, but awful when eating it just sliced up. I will check next time I'm at the store. Was yours a 'may contain traces of dairy', or it actually had dairy in the ingredients?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:47 am 

Hi,
We use the Earth Island Soy cheese - it melts and tastes pretty good. I buy the tofutti cheese slices and make grilled cheese san!dwiches.

What about a hearty vegetable soup (i puree the vegetables since my kids don't like to see the chunks) and then I add rice or pasta to it. I make a big batch so that we eat it a few times that week.

We also eat a lot of meat - pork tenderoin is easy too make and less fat. I have an easy recipe if you'd like it. Veal cutlets in tomato sauce, chicken cacciatore.

I made Susan's ravioli the other day - the kids loved them! (Thanks Susan!!)

boys's mom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:54 am 

Alison's Mom,

You could always try borrowing a vegan cookbook from the library to try some recipes. Also. just to reassure you, my kids are not allergic and I still get the Yuck response to some meals! Luckily, it does get easier as they get older. Good luck!

Soccermom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:40 am 
Site Admin

We avoid milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts and most legumes.
We eat meat as dd can't have most beans or lentils. I could substitute soy beans in recipes but psychologically, she can't make that leap yet.

Check out the recipe forum. There are tons of great recipes there. Here are a few that my family likes.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4967
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4757
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4595
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4544
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4485
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4194
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4283
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4159
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1884
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1641

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:25 pm 

Thanks everyone. I love your suggestions, Susan, as we are avoiding the same sorts of things. Those are some great creative ideas!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:48 pm 

Alison's Mom wrote:
Was yours a 'may contain traces of dairy', or it actually had dairy in the ingredients?

It was Okanagan Soya, I think. A friend of mine whose child was also supposedly milk-allergic recommended it, so I didn't even check the ingredients. Casein protein was ingredient #2. On the upside, it did confirm what we had only suspected up until that point ... that my son had a milk allergy! The company now clearly labels it a milk protein, so I guess there have been several complaints.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:16 am 

Thanks for the update. I can't remember which I used to buy, but that name doesn't ring a bell. My DS's dairy allergy is fairly mild, though, and he is able to eat certain forms of dairy, like skim milk powder, but does react with hives to regular milk or cheese.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:13 pm 

there are soy cheese that are good for milk allergics, but you have to be very carefull as many contain casein. The difference between casein and non-casein cheese can normally be seen by the mention "vegetarian" vs "vegan".

I can't remember the brand right now... but the brand I use has both soy and rice versions and each of them has a vegan and a vegetarian version, so you have to be very carefull of which you buy as they kind of look the same.

One thing I eat that I like (maybe because I got used to the taste... but supposedly it smells "normal" :thumbsup ) is doing a bechamel sauce (margarine + flour, add rice milk) and I throw in a couple of slices of rice vegan cheese in. I put that on to of lazagna or canellonies to add a cheezy flavor (add last minute and don't cook too long in the oven... when cooked to much in the over it... seperates :oops ).

I use the same cheese sauce and put it on top of veggies (only way I eat cauliflower cooked :lol: ) or potatoes. I steam my veggies, put them in an oven glass container, mix in the sauce, cook for a few more minutes in the oven.

The only alternatives I use are rice milk and rice cheese... before I found out about soy allergy, I used to just love soy yogurt (new generation, not the tofu-like stuff) and soy cream cheese (mixed with powder garlic and parsly, it make a great chip dip!).

And if you are looking for a treat once in a while, instant Jello pudding can be made with soy milk (2/3 of the milk quantity if I remember right). Check to see if it's safe... I haven't in a long while. It can also be made with rice milk but you have to use the "cooked" version, not the instant ones (less choice, but they have chocolate, so I'm good :P ). Use the quantity of milk but add 4 large over filled table spoons of corn starch to the powder mix. (if you want it for a pie, just reduce the milk by 1/2 cup but keep the same extra corn starch).

oral allergy syndrom to most fruits
(partial list only... and does not include food intolerances)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

You need to call first and confirm for yourself etc. but I like:
Earth Island mozarella soy cheese
Earth Island veganaise
Y&Y egg free chow mein noodles and/or Rizopia brown rice noodles
Dempsters smart bread
Betty brand hamburger and hot dog buns
Mr Greek pita pockets and flat breads
Dempsters and/or Presidents Choice tortilla wraps
Presidents Choice alphabet pretzels
No nome brand marshmallows
Presidents Choice Decadent semi sweet chocolate chips
Lay's and/or Ruffles chips (plain)
I can't believe it's not cream cheese
Fleischmann's lactose free margarine (salted)
Buddig's slice sandwich meat
Bird's custard
Natura and/or Blue menu soy milk
Dare candies(precautionary label for dairy but currently no dairy used in the facility-check each time!)
McCormick and/or Club House brand vanilla, cake decorations

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb