You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:48 pm 

I have been looking at the McDonalds website for Canada and see there are a number of items that do not contain dairy. My concern is, of course, the cross contamination issue. Does anyone eat there with milk allergies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:02 pm 

The only thing we allow DS to have at MacDonalds is the fries and apple slices (without the caramel). We always explain about his allergies and ask them to make sure their hands are clean before getting his fries and that they are to put them in a separate bag. This is the only restaurant food DS has ever eaten, and it's nice to know we have that option. One thing though, once when we checked at a MacDonalds kiosk (at Wal-mart) they told us that they rotate their oil, so the oil could have been used for (ie) chicken nuggets which are not safe. They said the big restaurants do not rotate their oil.
Another thing to keep in mind is that I read that the fries are not safe in the States. I think it had something to do with the oil or something. I don't remember, just that we don't eat out at all while in the States.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:10 pm 

Thanks Diana,

That info about the oil is very helpful, I will be sure to ask about that if we do go ahead and buy the fries. We don't eat out either and it is nice to know that she can experience something that all other kids do and take for granted.

I looked on the Canadian website and the plain hamburgers look safe in terms of ingredients for dairy allergies but I do worry about cross contamination.

I also looked at the McDonalds website for the US. And the fries do have milk in their flavouring so they are not safe.

I know that the McDonaldland cookies are safe for dairy allergies and are individually packaged. I am not sure about eggs and peanuts though. The ingredients are all online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:49 am 
Site Admin

We don't eat at McDonalds. I have brought dd's favourite food and got myself a happy meal so that she can see what all the hype is about. She's sort of interested in the toy which can be purchased separately.

We eat at Made in Japan-Teriyaki Experience. They prepare a minimal range of foods in front of you. They only use water and their sauce which they showcase so that you can check the ingredients. The yakosoab noodles are egg-free and very long so dd loves that.

We get the yakosoba chicken meal with a steamed rice and extra sauce on the side to go. That way the lid becomes a plate, dd gets a large bowl to eat from. The lid of the rice clamshell becomes a second bowl that I can place some of the veggies and meat in.

It is a quick low fat meal with lots of veggies. :)

They do cook shrimp, tofu, chicken and beef on the same hot plate so if you have an allergy to these or mushrooms, beansprouts, broccolli, carrots, green peppers, cabbage, wheat or anything in the sauce, this place is not for you.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:26 pm 

We do eat at Mcdonalds, but my kids' allergies to egg and milk are not severe - we're more worried about tree nuts and peanuts when we eat out.

We let them eat the fries and plain hamburger meat without the bun or anything else on it. We also let them eat Chicken Nuggets, but my DD has outgrown her dairy allergy, and DS can tolerate some forms of dairy, like skim milk powder baked into a cracker, and whey powder in a sauce. I believe the nuggets have casein, which is another protein my DS can tolerate - I'm actually unsure which protein it is that he can't tolerate, but was reacting to his sister eating a smartie, then kissing his cheek just a few months ago, and also had a large welt with a skin test back in October.

So sorry, I'm really not much help, as your child's dairy allergy is probably more severe than mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:10 pm 

My daughter has the fries from there and the apple slices. I read about the hamburgers being dairy free but wasn't sure about eggs...plus don't they put the cheese on the burgers right on the grill? That worries me too. She's thrilled to have french fries so I'm glad she can.

I read on the Wendy's.ca site that their chicken nuggets are dairy/egg free, so that's exciting news!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:39 pm 

NevaehsMom wrote:
My daughter has the fries from there and the apple slices. I read about the hamburgers being dairy free but wasn't sure about eggs...plus don't they put the cheese on the burgers right on the grill? That worries me too. She's thrilled to have french fries so I'm glad she can.

I was worried too about cheese on the grille, and also do they cook eggs on the same grille? I think we will stick with the fries for now.

Every morning when I stop at Tim Horton's drive thru on the way to work for a coffee and muffin, as soon as DS sees the little paper bag I can hear him in the back seat saying "Fries? Fries? Can I have fries?" Can't wait until we add more to his dining out experiences. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:57 pm 

I just had a look at the Wendy's site and it appears that the chicken nuggets and the fries would be safe for dairy allergies (in theory). Has anyone tried the chicken nuggets or fries there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:18 pm 

I, too, noted the Wendy's info when I was in their restaurant last weekend. We tried the fries and the nuggets from there without a reaction.

I just read on the A&W site that their fries contain milk....how can that be? What would they put in fries that's a dairy ingredient? So much for A&W being an option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:52 am 

That is exciting about Wendy's - I see they even have a salad that I could order without dairy. Now I just need to work up the nerve to actually go there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:19 pm 

McD's does have dairy in the fries in the US. There is/was a class action lawsuit against them because they were dishonest about their ingredients, and many had reactions. This is not the first time they have gotten caught being dishonest. I don't trust them and won't eat there.

Wendy's fries are safe, and we eat them w/o any problems.

And yes, I always wonder WHY fries need a dairy ingredient added. :roll:

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:07 pm 

Our Boo eats the small (kids) hamburgers at McD's without a reaction. The small buns are dairy free.
He eats the fries as well.

We ask for hands washed and gloves worn and explain the allergy EVERY time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

I posted this on another McDonalds thread:
Quote:
We've found that our daughhter can have the french fries at McDonalds since they are made in a dedicated fryer so no chance of cross contamination. She can even have the ketchup. Today though, I almost lunged across the counter when I saw the employee shove his hand into the cardboard container to open it. He was the manager on duty and had come from the back room to inspect the $50.00 bill I used to pay with. He had just touched the bill, who knows what he was doing in the back room...I (calmly) got his attention and asked if it would be OK for me to open a clean container due to her allergies. He was very nice about it. She said you could tell I was stressed. Oh well, she'll get used to it.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:58 pm 

We only eat at Wendy's - they use the same chicken nuggets and fries all across the country, so when we travel ... it's ALWAYS Wendy's that we eat at. My son has anaphylaxis to dairy, and has never (touch wood) had a reaction at Wendy's!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:20 am 

The milk they put in fries (at A&W and other places) is part of a coating to make them crispy.

oral allergy syndrom to most fruits
(partial list only... and does not include food intolerances)