Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

CONSUMER INQUIRIES:

1-888-222-6036 (Mon-Fri 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. EST, and Sat-Sun 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST)

MCNEIL CONSUMER HEALTHCARE ANNOUNCES VOLUNTARY RECALL OF CERTAIN OVER-THE-COUNTER (OTC) PRODUCTS IN THE AMERICAS, UAE, AND FIJI

Fort Washington, PA (January 15, 2010) In consultation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), McNeil Consumer Healthcare, Division of McNEIL-PPC, Inc., is voluntarily recalling certain lots of OTC products in the Americas, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), and Fiji (FULL RECALLED PRODUCT LIST BELOW). The company is initiating this recall following an investigation of consumer reports of an unusual moldy, musty, or mildew-like odor that, in a small number of cases, was associated with temporary and non-serious gastrointestinal events. These include nausea, stomach pain, vomiting, or diarrhea. This precautionary action is voluntary and has been taken in consultation with the FDA.

Go here for links to lot numbers that are part of recall: http://www.mcneilproductrecall.com/page ... /press.inc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:54 am 

We got the recall notice yesterday at work, and in Canada it only applies to Rolaids packaged in 150 and 100 counts, as they are manufactured in the US.

The "unusual odor" has been linked back to the wood pallets used in the storage of packaging materials, the products themselves are fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

You're right - just noticed that last night.
Cdns can see: http://www.jnjcanada.com

The reporting of "the Americas" had me fooled initially.
Did Canada move? :abduct

Of course, many allergic adults travel to the U.S.
I had Benadryl purchased in NY state, but fortunately it's not from the affected lot.

FYI, the New York Times says this recall has been uncharacteristically slow for J&J, considered leaders in crisis management:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/18/business/18drug.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:04 pm 

So true about J&J being considered the leader ... I worked for J&J for 11 years, and we were schooled on the Tylenol cyanide crisis during Orientation, and how the J&J Credo led the execs to ultimately decide to pull all the Tylenol off the market, despite evidence that it had been local tampering. After a few years, Tylenol became market-leader again, and paved the way for tough new packaging standards. Which I curse every time I try to open some bottles! Apparently, this story is taught in MBA schools. J&J risked losing everything to "do the right thing" back then, and it paid off in the end anyway. Wish all money-hungry corporations would exercise such a credo.

I'm pretty ticked at J&J right now, actually, for the crazy new labelling they've done with Children's Tylenol in Canada. SO confusing for parents! I spend alot of time during my shifts explaining Tylenol labelled "for FEVER from colds & flu" is the EXACT same product as Tylenol "for fever and pain" (which is just regular, plain old acetaminophen). Just J&J trying to keep control of the under 6 cold and flu market since all cold products for children under the age of 6 have been taken off the market.