You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: macdonalds problems
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:11 am 

My child is allergic to peanuts. For the last six months or so, we have noticed that she has been getting hives on her face after eating fries and chicken mcnuggets at Macdonalds in various locations in Ontario. I was wondering whether anyone else has had this experience?

I have phoned Macdonalds and they informed me that they have not changed their oil supplier recently, the same oil goes to all restaurants in Canada, they do actual chemical testing of their ingredients for peanut allergen and they have not received any other similar calls.

My child has also had an incidence of a hive reaction which we attributed to another legume (navy bean), but who knows, it could have been cross-contamination. She is also allergic to mold, but this has never manifested itself as hives.

Thanks for any comments!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:56 pm 

Some thoughts:

1. It could be something else in the oil or in the product that is causing her problems. The cause might not be peanuts - it might be a new allergy.

2. You could confirm with the manager to see what else is cooked in the McNuggets oil. Might be cross-contamination from one of those other foods. Also ask if the oil for the fries is ever mixed with other foods, or is it dedicated oil - i.e. it never ever comes into contact with anything other than fries. I realize that you said it happens in various outlets, but at least you would know what is going on at that outlet.

3. One thing to try is: one visit, only let her eat the fries and see what happens. Then at another visit, only let her eat the Chicken McNuggets and see what happens. Ask the staff to wash their hands and use freshly cleaned utensils before touching her food. That way you have narrowed down the food a bit more and ruled out a bit of cross-contamination during the preparation. (But make sure you are prepared to use her auto-injector if her reaction warrants it.)

4. If only one of the products causes the problem, then it is still a bit tricky, because I just looked on their website and both products actually have quite a number of ingredients...

5. The other option is to just avoid those products from now on.

I'm curious: is she okay with chicken and french fries from home or other restaurants? You've ruled out a chicken or potato allergy? Has she been tested for legumes? (See my sig - my one son is allergic to all three of those!)

K.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:25 am 

Very helpful suggestions! I took a look at the ingredients list and nothing seems to jump out. Perhaps cottonseed oil, but with the amount of packaged food we eat, I'd guess she has eaten that before. I think I will try your suggestion to try one at a time to narrow down the product of concern and then go from there. I don't want to drop McD's yet as a place to eat because it is very handy especially when we are travelling.

My daughter eats chicken and potatoes at home. She has been tested for legumes which we eat at home (she doesn't eat them, though, because she tends to be picky) - with a skin prick test using a slurry of the legume - all were negative. She eats soy, green beans and peas. I am curious: is your child allergic to all legumes? Do you know whether some legumes are more allergenic than others for those that have a peanut allergy? Do you encounter cross-contamination with legumes (other than peanuts) eating out and/or in packaged food often? Ever since she had problems with this navy bean, I have hesitated to eat legumes at home and I can't seem to find any info on the net.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:29 pm 

We were told to avoid all legumes when he was 2, but about two years ago he had a successful oral challenge to peas - but then said they made him feel sick, so we still avoid them.

We used to avoid legumes 100% hard core (including things like guar gum, licorice, etc.), but since the pea challenge, I a bit less freaked out by them, so we let him have stuff with guar gum in it (and it's in a lot of things - like some ice creams and cream cheese!).

Here is a list of legumes:

http://www.calgaryallergy.ca/Articles/E ... htm#Legume

My allergist told me that fresh legumes are less allergenic than dried legumes. When my son did his challenge, she made sure that we used fresh green peas - from the market.

I do not know if some are more allergenic that others. An allergist told me that lentils are more allergenic than some legumes, but I don't know if that is true.

I would not avoid all legumes, to be honest, without having your child tested. It's a lot of things to avoid, especially if she isn't actually allergic to them.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:18 am 

I personally have never had any problems with McDonalds food despite of being allergic to peanuts. Probably she is really alergic to something else of which you are not yet aware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:28 pm 

My daughter has not had problems with Nuggets and fries at McDonald's. I was told verbally that the only peanuts are in packages for the sundaes. We have checked this detailed ingredients list and for what we eat we only saw a 'may contain trace' on one bun.

http://www.mcdonalds.ca/pdfs/IngredientFactsEN.pdf

Post subject: Re: macdonalds problems
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

We've found that our daughhter can have the french fries at McDonalds since they are made in a dedicated fryer so no chance of cross contamination. She can even have the ketchup. Today though, I almost lunged across the counter when I saw the employee shove his hand into the cardboard container to open it. :frightened He was the manager on duty and had come from the back room to inspect the $50.00 bill I used to pay with. He had just touched the bill, who knows what he was doing in the back room...I (calmly) got his attention and asked if it would be OK for me to open a clean container due to her allergies. He was very nice about it. She said you could tell I was stressed. Oh well, she'll get used to it. :freak

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:46 pm 

I just looked at the ingredients. Have you tried either soy or corn? I know the nuggest and the fries are fried in different fryers, I actually think it is a food safety policy from what I can remember of my fast food days. And those two ingredients are commonly shared between the nuggest and the fries.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:38 pm 

this is highly unlikely, but is it possible that fish could be an issue if there was cross contamination in cooking? I don't think they'd do this at McDs, but I do know of one fast food place which cooked fries in oil previously used for fish. (this was years and years ago.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:17 pm 

From what we've always been told (my fiancee's sister use to work at McDonald's as a crew trainer) the oil is new and they never rotate the oil between the chicken nuggest and the fries. We are almost sure that the chicken nuggest and fish do share oil, I can double check that for you. They always use new oil for the fries and never cross exchange fries with the chicken nuggest /fish. This is the policies at the large McDonalds. The ones in Wal-Mart apparently do exchange the oil between friers as well as the ones in the U.S, but not at the store ones in Canada.

I talked over your situation with my fiancee who has dairy, eggs and nuts as ana. allergies. Fish/seafood is a massive grey area for him, and his sister would of told him if the fries were fried in oil that was used for fish (she was also the one that found out Adub has whey in their seasoning!) But he suspects it is the soy that could be the cause of the hives. He can't have the nuggest because of the dairy but we have never had any problems with the fries.

Hope it helps.