You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:49 am 
Site Admin

It seems that the family has their heart set on taking Grandma out for dinner to celebrate her 80th birthday.

Does anyone know of a 'nice' restaurant in the Kingston area that is allergen aware? I wouls love it if dd could actually eat some sort of meal there.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:16 am 
Site Admin

I sent a note to my friend who lives in Kingston to see if she has any ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

My friend Brenda says:

Megalo's (downtown on Princess Street) claims to accommodate
allergy needs. I can't speak to their food handling, but the restaurant is
pleasant and has a varied menu.

I have a friend at work that I will consult with and let you know what else I find out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

I couldn't find that restaurant, Gwen. I did manage to find this one http://www.aquaterrabyclark.com/
"Our restaurant takes pride in responding to allergy concerns. We do our best to accommodate the restrictions that you face for your family member. Most items are made directly in our kitchen so we can clearly identify ingredients. "
Definately sounds promising!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

We had my MIL's 80TH birthday at AquaTerra by Clark in Kingston yestereday. This restaurant is connected to the Radisson Hotel on the Harbourfront in Kingston and it was a fantastic experience!
http://www.aquaterrabyclark.com/home.html

I'm feeling lazy this afternoon, so I'm just going to copy from my e-mail of appreciation to the Diningroom Manager"
"We arrived a little past 12:00 noon and Vanessa came out to meet with us. We were seated in a quiet corner by the windows and it seemed as if we had a special room just for us.

Everyone was impressed by the buffet...until they saw the spread my daughter had! While they went up for their meal, she nibbled on the biggest and most succulent shrimp she has ever seen. She could only eat two though, because the pork tenderloin was enticing her with it's aroma. Between bites, she gushed about how wonderful it was. "I'm stuffed, but I can stop eating-it sooo good!"

Early on in the meal, she followed me up to see what the buffet was all about. Vanessa came rushing over to advise me that there was nothing safe there for my daughter and we quickly assured Vanessa that she would not eat anything but that she wanted to see what we were being offered. Everyone in my party was impressed at the level of concern and attention that Vanessa gave us. It went a long way in putting us at ease as it was clear that she understood the severity of the allergies.

I want to also offer my appreciation to our server Kalehla (I hope I spelt that correctly). It is not easy to provide special attention to one guest when they are not the guest of honour. She did a great job of ensuring that both the 8 year old and the 80 year old received the special attention they deserved/required.

All in all the entire party was very impressed by AquaTerra by Clark. It was the topic of discussion afterwards at a small gathering of my mother-in-laws closest friends and I am sure that they will be suggesting it when their families come to visit.

Thank you very much for all of your hard work in communicating with me over the last month or so and in arranging for the special meal. Please extend our gratitude to the chef who was also kind enough to share his "special" recipe for the pork with my husband who is keeping the secret safe."

When I have a positive experience , I realize that I need to step out of my comfprt zone and make the inquiries. It's easier for me to bring a safe meal but it is more empowering to discover that there are some good restaurants out there who "get it" and are willing to work with us to make the experience safe and pleasant.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:40 am 

Susan that is wonderful, I'm thrilled to hear what a great 'adventure' it ended up being for you and DD.
Quote:
It's easier for me to bring a safe meal but it is more empowering to discover that there are some good restaurants out there who "get it"

It must also have been so exciting for your DD to have not only a restaurant meal but all the extra attention that came with it. For a kid who lives in a world of 'can't have' what a wonderful and well deserved treat for her.
:happydance A happy dance for those who do 'get it'!!! :happydance

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish