You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:36 pm 

Hi All,

My son was diagnosed with multiple life threatening food allergies with he was 9mnths old. He was only three years old when he was supposed to begin JK as he was a fall baby. We were blessed that my mom retired from teaching that year and volunteered to home school him for the JK and SK program. He is due to start grade 1 this year and we are debating whether or not to put him into the regular school stream. I was wondering if anyone knew of any schools in the Orleans area that excel with handling food allergies or vice versa? Opinions, comments, suggestions all welcome!

Hope

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:02 am 
Site Admin

Welcome Hope! I'm not inthe Orleans area but I'm certain that others will chime in with suggestions.
Meanwhile, my suggestion is to consider attending a local support group meeting.
The Ottawa Anaphylaxis Suport Group has monthly meetings.
http://www.ottawaasg.com/OASG2006/index.php

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:40 am 
Site Admin

Allergic Livings Fall 2009 issue had many relevant articles.
Here's an excerpt: http://allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=297

To order a back copy: http://www.allergicliving.com/issues.asp?issue_id=21

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:25 am 

I am stressed enough about our son starting school--in two years :roll: -- without milk being one of his allergies. I was wondering what tips some of you milk allergy parents might have for Hope?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:56 am 

Hello,

I live in Orleans and have two boys with food allergies. They attend a French Public school and their allergy awareness is terrific because I have helped them to reach that point. I am also a teacher and I do find that there is a huge difference from school to school when it comes to protocol, despite Sabrina's law or the school board policy. My boys have attended two different schools and in both cases, the principals were more than willing to let me help them to improve their practices. In both cases, they admitted that they truly believed that their previous system was a good one, but now realized that there was room for improvement.

Do not be afraid to get involved. Meet with the principal to discuss their policy, but more specifically their practices. Do not be afraid to make suggestions and offer to help. Most important is to meet with the teachers and to discuss what your desires or expectations are before the first day of class.

My youngest had 11 food allergies when he started in JK, including egg and dairy. He was at school for a full day including lunch. Egg and dairy were not banned from the class, but we had many levels of safety measures in place. He had a class full of advocates in his peers. They were very supportive as were the parents in the class. I volunteered in the classroom a lot at first, I helped with lunch time supervision and my confidence grew quickly to the point where I no longer felt the need to be there all of the time. It is also very important for your child to be very aware of his or her own allergies, they are the first line advocate for themselves.

It's very stressful at first because there is so much unknown. It is possible and it can work. Have faith, be patient, and be involved.

Denise

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:31 am 

Hi Hope, did you manage to find a school you felt comfortable with?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish