You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:27 pm 

I've recently discovered the relationship between cherries and almonds...should they be avoided?? I haven't come across a clear explanation online, does anyone know where more information can be found?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:14 pm 

Hmmm, didn't know about that relationship. My son had a reaction to tree nuts and tested positive on a blood test for most of them, including almonds. He really likes cherries and ate them last summer with no problems.

It might be that some people will react to both, while others who are TNA can eat cherries. Can you get tested for cherries by your allergist?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

We avoid tree nuts but not cherries.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:27 am 

Our son tests positive now to all tree nuts. There is only a handful of fruits he is able to eat (raw) and last summer he ate cherries no problem.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:44 am 

I don't think a nut allergy is going to mean an inevitable allergy to cherries. I am allergic to both, but I think that is due to oral allergy syndrome, as I am allergic to birch.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Dr. Ham Pong doesn't mention it in his thorough Peanut and Tree Nut Handout: http://www.allergicliving.com/documents/hampong.asp
And he would have.

However, as Soccermom is suggesting, it depends what your allergist says is your allergy. Are you: allergic to tree nuts specifically?
Or do you have what's called either Oral Allergy Syndrome or Pollen-Allergy Syndrome? If it's OAS, the main culprit is tree pollen and that can cause you to cross-react with certain fruits or vegetables, and sometimes nuts and/or spices.
If you think this is what you have, read this article: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=304

If it's nut allergy per se, cherries shouldn't be an issue.
But if at all unsure about your own case re pollen and cross-reactivity, wise to check with your allergist.
FYI though, even in people with OAS, cooked fruit isn't usually an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:26 pm 

I've been told from different doctors that almonds are closer to a fruit than a nut, are in the plum family, and that peaches are the closest true relative. My son is severely allergic to some tree nuts, but not almonds - as we discovered through his inadvertent exposure to them through Honey Nut Cheerios. Good question about the cherries ... since almonds are more allergenic though, I wouldn't exclude cherries necessarily, but maybe try a challenge in the parking lot of a hospital. (Sorry ... my mom was a nurse, and she joked about how she always made sure we were in the parking lot of the hospital the first time each one of her kids was prescribed penicillin ... and good thing! I was anaphylactic!)