You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Last Thursday was supposed to be Winter Activity Day but mother nature gave us too much winter (deep freeze), so it was moved to yesterday.

Last week I sent a note (as per request) advising them not to give my child the hot chocolate. The teacher sent a note back asking if the orange juice alternative would be OK. I sent a note back saying thank you, No. (Um, some brands are OK, some aren't. Will those milky hands be handling the cups and juice caps? Not likely that they'd wash them often out doors like that and too much hubbub going on...too risky.)

Yesterday R arrived to school late (Dr's appt etc.) so when I dropped her off I again reminded them not to offer her the hot chocolate or the orange juice. The staff at the front desk wrote it down and hi-lighted the note.

So when R came home and I asked her how the activities were, she mentioned that one of the 6th graders offered her hot chocolate. :roll:

Luckily, I have a kid who doesn't like chocolate (is she really related to me?). What about those with younger or more impulsive children? As long as they are offering treats and having children serve it, this will be a potentially dangerous activity.

The principal was not there today or she would have heard from me. I will instead send her a note by e-mail.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:30 pm 

There is a real breakdown in communication going on there. I can see the student offering and not having been told about the situation or know which child this was.

I am both a teacher and the parent of an anaphylactic student. When my daughter was young I found it safest to pack her food and have a rule of never eating "other" food. This was my best solution to allow consistency and avoid mistakes. People were less defensive when I would explain to them that their food that they have sent may be safe but not everyone would put in such care. They would agree that having a consistent rule was a wise idea.

My daughter is graduating this year and we still pack safe food.

It must be very frustrating for you to feel you have put everything in place and still have others not follow your wishes. I ended up volunteering at every school event and being the class mom who did shopping and baking for the class.

Does your school have buddies where older students are paired with younger classes? Buddies often feel very protective and willing to look out for their little buddies on special occassions. This takes training and careful matching.
Many schools team classes for reading and writing.

Wish you well!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:11 am 
Site Admin

Email to principal
Quote:
Hello Ms. C,

I just want you to be aware that R was offered hot chocolate during the winter games Tuesday Feb. 2ND.

I had sent a message to Mrs. H in R's' agenda requesting R not be given hot chocolate as per the note sent home. Mrs. H saw the note and asked about the orange juice substitute (again no), so I know she saw the note.

The original Winter Games Day was cancelled due to an extreme cold snap and on game day I brought R in late. I mentioned again the no hot chocolate to the staff covering for M and she wrote it down and high-lighted it.

It was a grade 6 helper that offered R the hot chocolate. She declined as she is well aware of what she can and can't have. I shudder to think of what a more impulsive child, a younger child or one who was expecting a substitute drink might have done.

Several factors were involved:
1. Venue changed from original day
2. Teacher not present and a supply teacher was covering that day (according to R).
3. The school administrator was not in that day and the information was given to another staff who was replacing her.
4. Students were assisting in the serving. They have not been given the training that the staff are given.

I don't want to blame any one person, things happen and R dealt with it. I do want to bring it to your attention that this was a "near miss". I feel that as long as students are involved in the serving of food/beverages there is a risk. I'm sure that there are many jobs for them to volunteer for during such an event.

I must request that anyone who is serving students have taken the annual anaphylaxis training that S E provides. I am certain that upon reflection, you will agree.

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:58 pm 

The problem as well is that they probably can't tell the grade 6 students about your daughter's allergies because of her privacy. It is a very good reminder of why students should not be serving. And if an adult is serving they need to know not to push --- we had a teacher shove candy into my daughter's hand just weeks after her anaphylactic reaction to a trace of a tree nut... I was there and could not believe it. Anyway, great email to the principal. Were you satisfied with the response?

What is a supply teacher?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:27 am 

Ah, I asked myself the same question. I grew up in Vancouver's LMLD and when we moved to Ontario a few years ago I had no idea what our daughter was talking about when she said supply teacher. A substitute teacher is what they call here a supply teacher.
Tobogganing is also commonly referred to here as sledding. :lol:
Some say PD-day and others say PRO-d day. Potato - potaaaato , west coast/ east coast :D

....How are school issues going Susan? Any issue at Easter?

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:14 am 
Site Admin

No new issues, yet. :roll:
The principal and school secretary are fantastic! Unfortunately, I seem to have to the first 7 months of a 10 month school year educating the teachers.
It takes dd about that long to be comfortable with the teacher and speak up for herself. I know that she needs to self-advocate more. I'm hoping her Karate/Self-defense courses will help her in this area.
Her classmates are great-really supportive but next year her best friend (in class) will be going to another school for French Immersion. That may change the dynamics again. We'll have to see.
I'm beginning to wonder if dd and I should write a guide to her allergies in advance to have the principal hand to the next teacher! Maybe we can cut 7 months down to 4 (Sept-Dec)!