You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: schools etc
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:26 pm 

I am taking nothing away from the ongoing struggle to make schools safe. But.. there should also be emphasis on allergic children and adults going to libraries, buses, friends homes, malls, arenas etc. School is where children are most of the day but the rest of their waking hours they are in these environments. Just because the school is considered safe, the other children (young ones that is) may not realize that these practices must be continued outside of school if they want their friends to be safe. Some little ones don't relate to rules inside school must also be outside of school. You know, one set of rules for in school and different rules outside of school. Principals do schools and parents and coaches etc do outside. Example: every student must wash hands after using washroom but...at home there is no teacher checking so quite often they sneak out without doing it. My sons did it. They are home you see. No strict teacher rule. Only Mom if she catches you. I think an assembly on anaphylaxis should be mandatory in all schools at the beginning of the year. Some children may find it scary but in the end it could save a childs life. If a play acting out the anaphylactic reaction is too much then pictures etc would do. That way each year the new students become aware of it and it is a refresher for the other students (and teachers) Just my thought on the subject.

Myself, I wish I could sit all my adult friends and relatives down in one room and make them all watch a film clip etc to get it into their thick heads the dangers of my food anaphylaxis while we are at their homes, malls, parties, when they visit my home etc. Just plain old living. I am still getting comments like - it's been two years now, is your allergy improving? What! My life threatening food allergy will never, ever just go away or lessen. They go - oh, you you still have to watch what you eat? Can't you have just a little to build up a resistence? Good grief :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:05 pm 

SuzieQ"What! My life threatening food allergy will never, ever just go away or lessen. They go - oh, you you still have to watch what you eat? Can't you have just a little to build up a resistence? Good grief "

I totally agree SuzieQ. With what happened to me two years ago everyone was super and now some people act like it is gone or something. I just moved on and found some new friends, and was able to keep some old friends.
I also agree about the out of school things you said, we do go libriaries, etc.
Myself I always let my boys have their peanut butter until I found it was making me sick from the smell. When they come to visit they eat what Mum eats or things that I check before they are brought home. The boys grew up seeing me get worse reactions, at times they have helped me. They do not feel left out at all. If anything they are protective of me.
Even when young I remeber one who about 4 at the time, we went to Bank and they happened to painting it. Well, it is before the ATM's and I had a pretty good asthma attack. Well, side by to was a little deli and we went in and he ordered a drink for me and I used my inhaler. So way I look at even if you have it your children will learn to cope.They may not always like it, but if we keep a postive outlook they will learn to accept our allergies.
We all have problems and some are not ana, some maybe money problems or something else. Those children have to learn to cope also. It is part of life is not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:47 pm 

Kelly, it sure is part of life. Everyone has something. Financial, health, loss etc. My sister is not ana but she has enviornmental allergies - just leaning against a counter, carrying file folders etc. she develops huge welts where her skin has shown any pressure (counter, folder edge). Also heavy scents will cause her to have difficulty breathing and her throat fills with phlem which causes her to gag. Not a pretty description but accurate. Her allergist says it's no big deal. Won't become ana. She has banned all scents when university students come to consult her. In past she has had to leave student sitting there,in middle of consultation, because her throat was full. It also happened after she had salmon. Still her doctor says to big deal.

You hear in the news that more and more people are reacting to their enviornment. There was an interesting interview on Canada AM today about a woman who's new baby reacted to cleaning chemicals. Make long story short, skin was slightly grey and only became really sick on Tue. Realized is was her cleaning day and the chemicals in her cleaning supplies was causing it. She even started a new product for sale in Canada.

As the doctors told me to be parnoid --There is the routine of cleaning hands when one enters our home. My home is what I refer to as my "safe house". The place I can relax and know I am safe. If anyone has had seafood prior to arriving at my door, they will not be allowed to enter. I know that sounds drastic but one crumb on their shirt could do it. Right? When I'm out I just keep a close eye on my surroundings etc. But my own house is my castle and it will remain safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:12 pm 

SuzieQ;
I get that phelm thing also. It is rather gross, but it is a fact of live. To think all my family was always blowing there noses, coughing in the morning and all while I was a child. My boys are the sameway. The damage that is being done...
I think of my home as a "santuary". Where I can be safe and comfortable and relaxe ! I do not use chemicals to clean either they bug me some, and I hate perfumes! My Husband can not even wear after shave if wants to.
My GP has said" anything is risky to you.Do not want to hide from life ? I said "no" and I control as much as can when I leave the home. I found that the word Parinoid is negative and I try not to use it. I am always watchful and on guard . Then again all that councelling I had and plus things have rubbed off from my Husband's new work.
Your sisters Allergiest does not sound to nice, I do not go to mine anymore he said there is nothing they can do for me. That was rather upsetting.... My GP does everything now.
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:59 pm 

susieQ wrote:
My sister is not ana but she has enviornmental allergies - just leaning against a counter, carrying file folders etc. she develops huge welts where her skin has shown any pressure (counter, folder edge).

Just a thought---could your sister be dermagraphic? Or do you think she is allergic to something on the file folders, etc. I'm not quite so reactive to pressure on my skin, but I get hives if my skin is scratched. (Allergists test for this sort of thing simply by scratching one's skin with a tongue depressor.)

I can definitely relate to needing to have my apartment as a 'safe space'! I tried living with nut and egg eating people for awhile and the stress just isn't worth it.

Post subject: pressure enduced hives
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:32 pm 

Both of my daughters get cold enduced hives. I know a lady who also gets cold enduced hives as well. She gets them from leaning against a cold counter, peeling potatoes, and sometimes opening the fridge. She is really sensitive, my daughters only have gotten them after coming out of a pool or lake.

My youngest daughter reacted to an immunization once. The doctor thought that she might have pressure enduced hives as well. I have found out recently that the needle may have contained chicken protein...one of our latest discoveries of foods that she reacts to. So it looks like it wasn't pressure hives after all. But the condition "pressure enduced hives" defintiely exists.