You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:33 pm 

If I'm going to eliminate some of the ingredients, I'm going to need to test some foods with similar levels of shared ingredients. Any suggestions which foods I can try?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:46 pm 

I also wanted to say that on a recent stay in hospital I had lucozade energy apple flavour (around 500ml) because the water tasted so foul. And it made me slightly asthmatic. That had
Carbonated Water

Glucose Fructose Syrup (24%)

Orange juice from Concentrate (5%)

Citric Acid

Preservatives (Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Bisulphite)

Stabilisar (Acacia Gum)

Caffeine (0.012%)

Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid)

Flavourings

Colour (Beta-Carotene)

bit of an overlap of ingredients with SunnyD here, no hives this time but it could be dose dependant?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:01 am 

i would learn more about the preservatives and colourings, sodium benzoate is one of the nasty ones!
i would stop consuming those sorts of products, not only for allergy reasons but health ones for the whole family.

sunny has a very long list of nasty stuff in it, that alone means its not a suitable drink for a child.

most commonly found in drinks, like sunny , but also colas / fizzy drinks, and in kids candy type stuff, (banned in foods aimed at children in the uk ) a good guide, is how virbrant the colour! if it almost glows , dont eat it!
gator aid is now in the uk , but i notice that its ingredient listing has changed from the usa version.

also found in whiped, pudding type desserts that you add milk to and whisk, angel delight for the uk, in some brands not in others.

good luck, more label studing to absorb...........this allergy stuff never ends does it?!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:15 pm 

williamsmummy wrote:
i would learn more about the preservatives and colourings, sodium benzoate is one of the nasty ones!
i would stop consuming those sorts of products, not only for allergy reasons but health ones for the whole family.

sunny has a very long list of nasty stuff in it, that alone means its not a suitable drink for a child.

most commonly found in drinks, like sunny , but also colas / fizzy drinks, and in kids candy type stuff, (banned in foods aimed at children in the uk ) a good guide, is how virbrant the colour! if it almost glows , dont eat it!
gator aid is now in the uk , but i notice that its ingredient listing has changed from the usa version.

also found in whiped, pudding type desserts that you add milk to and whisk, angel delight for the uk, in some brands not in others.

good luck, more label studing to absorb...........this allergy stuff never ends does it?!

I'm not sure about the colours themselves being to blame, but I agree if something looks bright it means some chemist has messed around with the product along the way. Sodium benzoate, sorbic acid and sodium metabisulphite are all popular preservatives in fruit based products used to kill off the yeasts and stop it fermenting. All would also be quickly absorbed into your body in your stomach acids. My daughter is allergic to some brands of paracetamol tablets, the ones that have sodium metabisulphite as a preservative. You certainly need to keep an eye on what you consume.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:54 pm 

I'm allergic to sunnyd, I never had it cause a rash but I normaly describe what it does as making my throat close up, thats not exactly right though. It actually makes the muscles in my back and chest freeze up so I can't move them and therefore have a hard time breathing. I don't know exactly what causes it, yellow 5 is the main suspect supposedly when it and sodium benzoate get together they can have varied effects on people. The reaction has happened with mt dew also so I just gave up citrus soft drinks, lemon and limeades have never caused it. I've only ever talked to my pharmacist about it and she had no ideas my mothers advice don't dink that anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:46 am 

lots of preservatives are well known for causing allergic reactions, hives/asthma, esp the ones you mentioned.

artifical colourings are known for causing hyper active behaviour in children, (not a sugar rush, but true hyper active behaviour, which the children are aware of, and often frighten themselves as unable to control themselves)

the uk has banned these additives from food aimed at kids, esp candy/sweet stuff.

of course, this is causing a few extra problems for those with allergies to natural foods, recently we are avoiding cocheneal food colouring from my childs diet. As he had a significant reaction to liqourice which contained this additive. This pink food colouring dye, is made from crushed beetles, which of course contain a protein, and can cause a reaction to those ultra sensitive people.

my daughter has had odd viral hives to one such drink, containing these additives, and presevatives, and has had reactions to brightly coloured shampoos.

now seems outgrown .......ish, but only drinks we offer are pure fruit juice, water and milk, fizzy drinks like cola and lemonade are for high days and holidays!i dont consider sunny d a safe drink, after all we dont give booze to kids, so why give something like this, as its proven to cause some change to kids health.