Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The Keg
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:52 am 

The treatment we received at The Keg recently was wonderful. I was so happy. :D

Upon arrival I informed the hostess that I had a severe tree nut allergy. Our waitress confirmed what the hostess had mentioned to her. Shortly thereafter, the Kitchen Operations Manager came out to introduce herself and brought with her a binder containing all the foods served and their ingredients including an easy to read graph. She assured me my meal would be cooked on a different area with utensils only for my food so no cross contamination would occur. They were very knowledgeable about their menu items and ingredients. The Kitchen Operations Manager came out a couple of times during our meal to ensure all was okay. I was a little concerned about airborne allergens since I react to those as well, but I guess I was extremely lucky in that no one around me ordered anything containing tree nuts because I had no reactions whatsoever. All in all it was a terrific experience. I wish all restuarants treated food allergies so seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:34 am 

Fantastic news! Thanks for sharing your story -- did the Operations Manager share if they treat allergies this seriously at every Keg location?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:56 am 

Its only my opinion, but I think they do take it that seriously and she couldn't understand why every restaurant didnt do the same. At least I know there is one place I can eat out safely!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:58 am 

I forgot to mention, I did phone ahead of our arrival to ensure they could accommodate my allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:01 am 

We've been to The Keg in Montreal and the 2 in Niagara Falls and have had positive experiences each time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:25 am 

The Cactus Clubs here in the west are wonderful, too. The waitstaff all seem to be really well informed, as well. I heard through the grapevine, that the Cactus Clubs are owned by some of the original owners of the Keg. Actually, here in Victoria, we find most restaurants really, really good. They don't blink an eye, even at some of the more high end places.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:49 pm 

Shirley--we are also in Victoria, and my son who is almost 3 has a severe peanut allergy. Can you post some restaurants in the area that take the allergy seriously? We have had good response with Red Robin, but quite frankly have been afraid to eat out with him.

Thanks for any info.

Michelle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:19 am 

Hi, Michelle: I know, it can be so scary eating out with anaphylaxis. My daughter's allergies are very severe, as well. She has discovered alot of places on her own. If the staff give good, firm thorough answers Sorry, some I'm not aware of but I'll find out and let you know in another post. I do know of Cactus Club, Macaroni Grill, Gatsby Mansion (surprisingly, but they were great! no problems!), there is a Jamaican restaurant that she eats at but I forget the name of it. Fast food: Quiznos, McDonalds, Subway. Anyone 19 or over - Irish Times Pub is good. Most places are pretty sensitive, we find, but we stick to those few that we know are really aware. Tapas Bar used to be great, but they have now changed chefs and the soup that she used to eat, apparently now contains fish stock! Good thing she knows to ask and inform the staff, every, single time. She looks for the for the staff to give good, solid, well-informed answers - wishy washy staff, don't eat there.

here's a link posted by another member that you may find helpful.

http://www.crfa.ca/resourcecentre/fooda ... ingredinfo

Good luck! I'm sure you guys can eat out safely!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:43 am 

We just had our first experience at the Keg (since FA diagnosis) and had a fantastic experience.
I called ahead and they marked my son's peanut and nut allergy with our reservation.
Confirmed that it was OK to bring in home-made desserts due to his allergy.
When we arrived, the hostess offered to refrigerate my home-made cupcakes (they were well packaged).
When our server came to introduce himself, he immediately said "I understand we have a person with a severe peanut and nut allergy eating with us today".
He brought out the ingredients binder for me to have a look at and confided that he himself had a life-threatening allergy to bee stings.
He told us that he would notify the kitchen of my son's allergy.
Very soon afterwards, the kitchen manager came to our table and spoke to me. Confirmed the foods that Ethan was allergic to. Told me that all clean utensils would be used and cooking surfaces washed, etc. Asked me what I wanted to order for him, confirmed the absence of his allergens in the food items. He said he would be preparing his meal for him personally because he understood the seriousness of the situation.
He left and came back minutes later asking if soy was a problem for Ethan because he had an employee who worked for him who was allergic to peanuts and soy. He said that their Keg Steak Spice had soy in it and he could prepare his steak without the seasoning if we wanted. Said he just wanted to be sure.
Our server took everyone's order. Within minutes, the kitchen manager came out again and told me that because another child in our party ordered the same meal as my son that they would be cooking both meals "allergen free" to ensure that my son didn't inadvertently receive the "wrong" meal.
Our server came out and told me that he checked with the cooks who prepared the bread and they advised that the bread had been baked in an oven that had previously been used to bake items with almonds. He asked if I still wanted the bread brought to the table.
It was so amazing to have a dining experience out somewhere knowing that the people in charge of your child's food actually understood the seriousness of the situation and took appropriate measures to ensure his safety. It was such an enjoyable meal.
We told them personally how much we appreciated their careful attention and I'll certainly be following up with a letter to their head-office with much praise.
Amazing experience all around. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:51 pm 

Just wanted to chime in that the St. Catharines, Ontario location is amazing for allergy awareness as well. As we know, it's nice to just have a safe meal out, so when places go above and beyond to make it delicious and suited to your needs it's fantastic.

Post subject: Re: The Keg
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:34 pm 

Just got back from celebrating my son's birthday at The Keg in Ajax, Ontario. It's a relatively new location. It was a very positive experience, with the waiter being very accommodating and checking everything my son ordered. He ordered the filet mignon! :o But it was well worth it. We skipped the desserts.... (I picked up some cupcakes from The Cupcake Shoppe). :D A lovely evening with no added stress of restaurant staff not "getting it".

:thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:28 pm 

I hope my daughter outgrows her beef allergy so she can enjoy a nice steak with us! I'll make a mental note to support the Keg because of this, and the hubby will LOVE that!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:58 pm 

This is good to know that a large chain is allergy aware - hope their BC restaurants are just as good. We almost never take the kids to restaurants, but this would be a good one to try and of course will steer clear of desserts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:09 am 

We've had great dinners and very accommodating and knowledgeable managers at all The Kegs we've been to so far in Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:23 pm 

Wonderful to know, I enjoy The Keg, and it would be a good place to take the kids when they're a little older. :)