You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Bread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:01 pm 

Has anyone come across a safe bread that does not contain traces of milk. I've been making my own homemade bread for a year and a half. I make 4 loaves once a week, or turn a loaf or two from the batch into buns or cinnamon buns. The only milk,egg,nut free bread I've ever seen is also wheat and corn free and made of rice...and $5.00 a loaf!!!

What is everyone else who is allergic to milk doing for bread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

Presidents choice tortillas are safe - great for wraps!
There is a pita bread that I buy that is safe too, I'll check the brand name. They make mini pitas too.

Post subject: Bread
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:35 pm 

I found the following to be ok, it was $1.79/loaf at our local No Frills Grocery store

Dimpflmeier European Style 100% Whole Wheat Bread
made with 100% Natural Spring Water

I also found a pumpernickel bread at Sobey's bakery that did not have traces of milk ingredients - there's no ingredients listed on the package, but when I asked, the bakery clerk gladly showed me the ingredient list on the box they come in - it apparently comes frozen and the bakery bakes them fresh. So It's worth asking your local grocery store bakery to check for you.

Other than that, everything else from hamburger buns, hot dog buns, pitas, tortillas, bread, bagels - everything I've checked so far has traces of mild ingredients and I can't eat them without problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:55 pm 

We use the Betty brand hamburger buns and hot dog buns. We have used them for over a year or so. When I called at that time I was assured that there were no traces of milk or egg. The package I think does say that it might have traces of sesame. The buns also come in whole wheat. We have also used their dinner rolls. We buy them at A&P and Foodland.

We use Dempster's 100% whole wheat bread with our egg, milk and peanut allergic daughter. When I contacted the company they said that the bread is made on equipment that processes food with milk but that there was a cleaning process between lines. We have eaten it with no problem for 2 years now.

Post subject: bread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:58 pm 

I recently found PC organic traditional white bread at Fortinos and it appears to be milk free...my son enjoys it...I hace also found French stick and rye breads without milk or egg in them...Look -they're out there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:54 pm 

Thanks for all the responses regarding bread. The city i live in is small (38,000people) and does not carry all of the products of a large city grocery store. For example, our superstore is smaller then others and does not carry all of the products everyone else must be buying in larger centres. I still do not have acess to safe bread...I have looked!

I e-mailed tresure mills regarding their new peanut/nut free breads and other products this is the response I got...looks like they will have bread without traces of milk/eggs and produced on safe equiptment. Hope I can find acess to it soon.

Quote:
Treasure Mills prides itself on operating all our facilities in a 100% Nut & Peanut Free environment, that also recognizes and deals with other allergen sensitivities. These include sesame seeds, dairy, eggs etc.

To answer your question below – our breads do not contain any milk or egg ingredients. Our breads are only produced on lines that have no egg or dairy products produced on them – therefore there are no traces of dairy or egg.

So that you know - we do use eggs and dairy in our sweet goods manufacturing, however all equipment, utensils, wash down areas etc are separate from the bread manufacturing. In addition to this there is a stringent wash down and cleaning program in place each and every day, through out the day. And though it would be obvious, I will also make clear that we do not use or produce any protein based product – such as chicken.

We will have up and running live very shortly our new web site that will showcase our products, both sweets and breads that will be able to be purchased directly on line. This new site will also have a complete listing of ingredients and nutritional information for each product. If I/we can be of assistance in the more immediate future - whether for purchasing directly or to answer any other questions - please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:26 pm 

Saskmommyof2 - did you ever find a dairy-free bread? Dempsters Enriched White Bread in silver foil packaging is free of dairy, egg, peanut, nut and sesame seeds (at least the one we can get in Ottawa is). I would think that's something your superstore might carry.

Otherwise the breads I buy are made in Quebec - many different kinds of Multi-Marques brands are free of dairy and egg (and peanut and nut), including their very healthy Bon Matin line of multigrain breads.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:33 pm 

The only safe bread I have ever found comes out of my oven :wink: . I will check for the dempsters next time I am at the store...funny, I phoned dempsters afew months ago and begged them to make a bread free of milk/eggs/nuts and free of seeds (for others). They did not have any at that time...this must be new...maybe my whining helped. Thanks Karen, I will look next time I go to the store.

Just imagine, buying bread...I must be dreaming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:40 pm 

It's been around for awhile - at least in Ontario. I'd say at least 1.5 years.

But best to double check with a phone call if you do find it, because even though I called and was told that there was only ONE bread facility in all of Canada, so all Dempsters silver foil enriched white bread should be D/E/P/N/SS-free, my girlfriend found the same bread in Calgary - but it had dairy in it!! Even though the CSR had sworn up and down to me that there was only one facility... I just didn't have the time to follow up, and my girlfriend was only in Calgary for 2 weeks (vacation) so it didn't seem worth it.

PLUS: be careful that you don't buy the white "whole wheat" bread - also in silver foil - as it does have dairy in it. (This is new-to-market product I believe.)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:50 am 
Site Admin

Karen-I didn't know we had something here in Ottawa?! :D :D
I'm heading to the store today to pick some up!!!!
I'll advise my parent support group at school.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:12 pm 

We have tried the Dempster's apple, cinnamon and raisin pitas. There are no milk or egg ingredients and the only traces listed are sulphites. I buy them at A&P. They are not cheap - $3 for a pack of 5 or 6 but they taste great.
I wish Tofutti made flavoured cream cheese to spread on bagels or pitas. I guess I could try flavouring plain cream cheese myself. It would go nicely with the apple pitas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:52 pm 

Tofutti "Better than Cream Cheese" does come in different flavours. Garlic & Herb is one that is nice, and Garden Veggie is my favourite. It is just plain good - whether you have to avoid dairy or not.

See http://www.tofutti.com/btcc.0.asp for the whole range.

(Unless you were thinking of the fruit flavoured cream cheeses?)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:06 am 

You can add some sugar and vanilla to the plain cream cheese to make a really good sweet spread or fruit dip.

I make it the same as the filling for the cheesecake

http://vegancooking.com/recipes/cheesecake.htm

but omit the egg replacer. It is also good for fruit pizza.

Have you tried flavoring it with strawberry quik?...I have not tried it but it might be good. I like strawbery quik in cupcake frosting...so cream cheese should be good too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:51 pm 

The strawberry quik sounds like a good idea! I will have to give it a try!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:51 pm 

thanks for the tip about the bread, Karen. i have issues with wheat, but it sounds like something one of my sisters could eat. she recently gave up on buying bread--she got a bread machine for christmas.