You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:27 pm 

My DS1 is anaphylactic to peanuts. He has been advised to eliminate or at least greatly decrease his dairy intake. I found hemp milk and wondered if it was safe for him to eat. I cannot find any allergy information on hemp nuts. Is it, in fact, a nut? We've tried soy milk and rice milk and he isn't fond of either.

Does anyone know if hemp is safe for peanut allergic people? Can anyone give me some links to information?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:59 pm 

Hi canuckmommy I can't help you with the hemp seed information . Just wanted to comment about soy milk I find different brands taste very different also there is a soy vanilla that is very tasty. Just another thing you may want to try. I also find like many other things it takes a few times before I like it. Good luck on finding an alternative.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:23 pm 

Thanks Paige,
I'll see if DS1 will try some vanilla soy milk and go from there. He's not enjoying limiting his dairy and gluten (neither am I, quite frankly). The poor boy isn't eating very much at all so I've decided not to eliminate dairy and gluten but to decrease them as much as we can. I have a whole new respect for people with gluten allergies. I now know that gluten is in so many products!

I think his naturopath has gone a little overboard cutting out 2 major food groups all at once ... especially with a child who is already limited with a nut allergy. But I digress ... I'll try out various soy milks and hopefully the hemp milk (and hemp nuts) will be safe for my son as well. :) Thanks for your input.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:42 am 
Site Admin

Can I ask why he has to limit his milk intake if he's allergic to peanuts?
Most allergists do not recommend restricting a diet unnecessarily.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:02 am 

I did in the past see an "N" doctor. I wanted some help to organize vitamins and suppliments. I did not feel I could figure them all out with allergies. eg: omega 3 oils and shell fish allergies. I use flax oil.. Any way she wanted me to cut milk out and a few other things can't remember wheat and egg I think. Just my own personal thoughts were she may be very good at what she does but she is not an allergist and I told her I was not comfortable to completely eliminate these items as I was afraid how my body would react if it were no accustomed to eating them and then 're introduce' them. For me I said it was not worth the risk of me to become allergic to them.
Just my own story :swing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:14 pm 

I should clarify, sorry. My DS1 has a peanut allergy but it isn't related to why we went to a naturopath. My DS1 has suffered from chronic constipation since he was about 18 months old. We've tried going to a pediatrician for 4 years and it didn't make much difference. My son was on Lansoyl and Peglyte but they really didn't do much. So I figured I'd try a naturopath.

My gut instinct is telling me that eliminating dairy and gluten is not the way to go. The poor kids already has to limit what he eats. Taking away 2 major food groups just isn't doable (if it's not life threatening).

I did go to the pharacist today and got some Benefibre so I'll slowly add some of that to his diet over the coming weeks. I'll also keep him on the Omega-3 fish oil supplement as well as the 2 other supplements that the N doc gave us to help heal his colon and put more good bacteria in there. I figure those can't hurt ... but seeing my DS not eat enough is not helping him in the least. :(

Thanks for all of your comments. I love this site for all of the support we give each other. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:28 pm 

Oh poor little guy. I hope you get this all figured out soon for him. I know as a parent we monitor every bite in and everything that comes out! I also think as a parent, better than any doctor we have the instincts to know what is best for our child and sometimes have to fight for it. It is our responsibility to make the best decisions with all the information we get. Keeping in mind any comment on this site can be the best information one can get (I have learned much) it is also just one bit of information to add to our own story. We only read a sliver of ones home happenings and cannot possibly know the whole story.
I know first hand and second hand what it is like to try to figure an ailment out.
Hope it happens soon. :huggy Hugs to your son.