You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

FYI, someone just sent me a link to the Ontario Today podcast:
http://www.cbc.ca/ontariotoday/story_archive.html

Rita Celli interviews Sophie Huyer and then yours truly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

Check out Allergic Living's January Newsletter for more on this topic.
http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=341

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

Yup - much, much more on it. Stuff you won't find in the main media.
Claire Gagné has a big news story, followed by an article that gives a full itemization of the key sections of the study.

You'll find it at allergicliving.com/ruling

Plus there's background on why the CTA has come to consider peanut / nut allergies "disability" for the purposes of air travel.
If you have questions - and you will! - we hope this material is enlightening.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:07 pm 
Site Admin

Ruth Smith of Best Allergy Sites - a great friend to the f.a. community - has posted about the CTA ruling here:
http://www.bestallergysites.com/news/pe ... mment-1401

She starts with her own experience:

Quote:
My son had an allergic reaction several years ago on a Southwest flight from Orlando to Boston.
We don’t know how or what happened. We do know that he picked up a toy off of the floor from between the seats, stood up and started to cry and itch at his face. His eyes were beginning to swell, his face was red and he started to develop hives.

We didn’t administer the EpiPen. We probably should have. We did notify the flight crew and gave our son Benadryl. He fell asleep. We’re lucky it was sleep and that he did not pass out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:18 pm 

Any idea on how long it will be before Air Canada has to provide the buffer zone? All I see is that the ruling was on Jan 7 and that the airline has 30 days to respond. We fly Air Canada on Feb 6, so I doubt it will take effect then, but we will be flying back home 3 weeks later, so I am curious if there will be a difference. I do normally call the airlines ahead of time to notify them of DS's allergies and when I called AC this week the lady I spoke with was not friendly at all. She was very short with me and acted like I was wasting her time. I hope when this takes effect and people start giving advance notice, that they start treating them with respect.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

Diana, there will be an implementation period, so I wouldn't count on it that quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

Reminder everybody:

The CTA will consider Air Canada's reply in early February and then issue a final ruling.

Allergic Living suggests soonest sending the CTA your comments on the ruling to board members:
John Scott
Raymon J. Kaduck [correct spelling]
J. Mark MacKeigan

E-mail to:
info@otc-cta.gc.ca

In subject line, note that it is re:
Huyer-Nugent Ruling, File No. U3570-15

I plan to do the same and to point out:
That I appreciate that the CTA has understood and recognized the inherent risks to those with peanut and nut allergies during air travel.

That the ruling on Air Canada is an essential first step in protecting highly allergic passengers but there remains need for:
- P.A. announcements to reduce the risk sufficiently by asking passengers to refrain from eating such foods. As experts have advised the CTA, cross-contamination can occur. Over the length of a flight, cross-contact can occur as people touch tray tables, seatbacks and washroom doors/handles.
- A reliable means to communicate to Air Canada/other Cdn. carriers that a passenger has a nut/peanut (or other serious) food allergy. Currently, this is inconsistent at best, which means there is no reliable means to give the "advance notice" to the airline as stressed in the CTA ruling.
- The importance of Air Canada considering epinephrine auto-injector training, as recommended to the CTA by Dr. Gordon Sussman. With anaphylaxis, a passenger may swiftly become incapicitated and need someone else to inject. It is an extremely simple device to operate.
– Air Canada needs to communicate to its flight crews and agents that food allergy is a serious issue.

See some of the points in this article:
http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=341
Quote:
The Allergic Living campaign had suggested a general p.a. announcement asking passengers to refrain from eating highly allergenic foods such as nuts or peanuts when a person with such allergies is on board, and this was in fact recommended to the CTA by Dr. Gordon Sussman, one of two allergy experts advising the hearings. The CTA ruling instead requests that Air Canada simply make the announcement in the “buffer zone” area. Smith hopes that Air Canada may still choose the general announcement as an easier solution and one that goes farther to minimize risk to allergic passengers.

And also some of the key points from the CTA ruling and those made in the Allergic Living "reduce the risk" airlines campaign:
http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=344
and http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=342

Thanks to all for helping with this feedback to the CTA.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:00 pm 

Quote:
Air Canada has submitted a proposal for accommodating passengers with serious nut allergies to a federal agency, but refused to publicly divulge any details.

The Canadian Transportation Agency had given Air Canada until the close of business Friday to tell it how the airline proposed to handle passengers with serious nut allergies.

Peter Fitzpatrick, a spokesman for Air Canada, said Friday in an e-mail statement to Canwest News Service, the proposal being submitted was "confidential."

"It would not be appropriate to publicize it (the proposal) for a couple reasons," Fitzpatrick said. "One is that the CTA and other interested parties need time to review and respond. Second, this submission is being made as part of an ongoing process to accommodate people with nut allergies so it may not be final."

It was not clear if and when the agency would release the Air Canada submission.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/C ... story.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:23 pm 

I understand Air Canada has a 1 row buffer zone as their proposal with 48 hours notice.

WOW! way to take care of their passengers.
I hope I have heard wrong. I also understand the CTA still has to review it??

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

Here are two articles on Air Canada's response:

http://www2.canada.com/scripts/story.html?id=2572544
http://healthzone.ca/health/newsfeature ... on-flights

I've glanced quickly at the decision (about 35 pages) – and am disappointed.
The good news is that Air Canada hasn't tried to fight the CTA on this. The unfortunate news is that it is doing the bare minimum to comply:

- Buffer zone in Economy, a row ahead and behind are asked not to consume peanuts and nuts. I think the verb used was "invited" not to eat.
- Notification will be 48 hrs., but for now at least the medical code that will be used will require going through the lineup with the ticket agent, can't use the web kiosk.

The CTA response was a great chance for Air Canada to step up, stop serving nuts in Biz. Class. But that's not being done, and the buffer zone in Biz Class is just the two big seats next to each other. In effect, I don't feel welcome in Biz. Class with an allergy.

No word on whether AC would pull cashews from cart service on a flight where an allergic person has given notification.
No PA announcements (as some crews have been doing voluntarily e.g. please refrain from eating pn or tn products as we have passengers with serious food allergies ...")

In general, the tone re allergies did not seem too accommodating; there's a sense of - we're doing this because we have to.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

We've rec'd several e-mails at info@allergicliving.com, but would love to hear more reaction from others on the Forum.

What do you think of the Air Canada response to the CTA re buffer zones, etc.?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:41 am 

When is Air Canada supposed to implement the CTA ruling? I flew to the UK with my son just the other day and it seems things have gotten worse. I have flown many times in the past but this year, it seems there has been conflict since I first called to ask that the allergy be noted in my son's file (the attendant was very curt and rude). In spite of having phoned months ago to report the allergy, this time there was no record at all on my son's file. The passenger attendant knew nothing about allergies and actually said that the children's meal was probably a way of flagging the allergy. I don't think so! I asked him to make a handwritten note on my son's boarding pass.

I was able to pre-board with no questions asked and when I approached the flight attendant about the allergy and asked if she could make an announcement, she said that the company does not like them to do that. She said that cashews would be served in business class and wanted to know if the allergy was airborne. I spoke to her again about it half way through the flight and she re-iterated that there is nothing in their training manual about announcements (I know it's at their discretion) and she didn't seem to know anything about the buffer zones or the CTA ruling. Although the flight attendants were courteous and were aware of my son's allergy, the message I got loud and clear from Air Canada is.... they don't want any passengers with allergies to fly with them. Perhaps Air Canada is resentful of the CTA ruling and the lawsuits but it is very clear to me that there is very little they wish to do in terms of passengers with allergies. It was very disappointing because I felt that they were more accommodating in the past, even though I don't think we ask for much anyway (we bring our own food and don't expect any other accommodations other than having the allergy noted on the file and an announcement made).

We are not flying back until September so in the meantime, I will call again to have the allergy note put on my son's file and I will see if there will be any improvements on that flight.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

Oh that's discouraging! Have you considered contacting Air Canada's corporate office and/or copying their policy for the flight attendant on the trip back? :popcorn

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

The CTA ruling was an interim one. It's not in effect yet.

Storm, I'd still let both AC and the CTA know of your concern. We have to keep hammering home the point.

AL editors have asked repeatedly when there will be a CTA final report, but only the decision-makers themselves are privy to how far along they are with it. I still suspect sooner than later.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:53 am 

I called Air Canada in the UK in order to have my son's allergy noted on his file for the flight back. I was told that they do not make the notes anymore. I even had the attendant double check and he confirmed that they will not make a note about the allergy and made a point (twice) to let me know that they do not have a nut free flight. So again, I feel as though Air Canada is now doing even less than before to accommodate passengers with allergies. I never expected a nut free flight and my son always brings his own food but a note in the file made it a bit easier when approaching the flight attendants. It's going to be interesting to see how things are when the CTA ruling will be in effect.

A big thumbs down for Air Canada. When I have some time I will be contacting Air Canada and CTA about the issue. What is the contact info for CTA for these types of 'complaints'?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next