You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Vancouver Olympics
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:33 pm 

Anyone notice that it's the Canadian ladies that are cleaning up in many events? Saw this mentioned in a news story, and I have to say they're right..

Go Bobsledders!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:47 am 
Site Admin

I've seen some heart-tugging moments in sport, but Joannie Rochette - incroyable.
What an amazing young woman.

Maman is somewhere, smiling.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:24 am 

I am annoyed by all this 'blown the podium' talk and the need to do an 'autopsy' (the word they used!) on the program to see what went wrong. I am proud of each athlete regardless if they have won a medal or not. I couldn't be happier with the amount of medals we've won so far, I can't remember ever winning so many gold medals. Just to come in top 10 IN THE WORLD is an acomplishment and something to be proud of.
On a side note, has anyone else noticed how sometimes the bronze medal winner (regardless from what country) is sometimes overcome with excitement and joy where they silver winner is pouting :scratchy

The best story was on our skiier who came in 45th. I'll add the link for the entire story.
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/nordic-combin ... 41972.html

Quote:
The last man on the track drew the loudest cheers of all. People screamed and others waved flags as Jason Myslicki, the loneliest Canadian at these Winter Olympics, made the last turn to the finish line and straight into 45th place. ......No complaining about not being funded by Canadian sport officials. No moaning over having to use other people's air miles to travel to Europe for competitions, having to stay in other people's homes because he couldn't afford his own place to live and train in Calgary.

And when Myslicki went to Europe as a one-man team, he didn't gripe when he had to ask his rivals for rides to the next event in the next town or borrow wax so he could prepare his skis. Reporter: "Would you go through all this again, knowing everything you know now?" There was a slight pause before the last-place finisher spoke. "For that crowd, yeah, but not another competition, no.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 am 

BC2007 wrote:
I am annoyed by all this 'blown the podium' talk and the need to do an 'autopsy' (the word they used!) on the program to see what went wrong. I am proud of each athlete regardless if they have won a medal or not. I couldn't be happier with the amount of medals we've won so far, I can't remember ever winning so many gold medals. Just to come in top 10 IN THE WORLD is an acomplishment and something to be proud of.

I think the expectations were over-inflated to start with. As an example, the men's figure skater...I thought he did a great job, and I hope he was proud of his performance -- he should be proud of it...but to have expected him to medal was unreasonable. It's his first olympics, and he's only 19. Give him a chance to grow.

All the money put in to sports for this olympic will have been wasted if they now stop. It should have been known from the beginning that it is a long-term project, you don't just pump money in for a few years and expect an immediate pay-back from it.

In 2006 Canada got 7 gold 10 silver and 7 bronze, so we have had this many gold -- but I actually expect we might still get more this week.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:47 am 

Quote:
On a side note, has anyone else noticed how sometimes the bronze medal winner (regardless from what country) is sometimes overcome with excitement and joy where they silver winner is pouting :scratchy

Many times the silver medalist expected to get gold and feels they're getting the consolation prize. On the other hand, a lot of the bronze medalists weren't expected to get a medal at all -- they've just come out of nowhere and are amazed at themselves.

~~

It was great to see the silver-medalists so happy for the Canadians in the dance though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

I'm just thrilled to see countries coming together to celebrate what mankind can do when they put their mind and heart into it! And...they're not trying to kill each other over oil/power/religion etc. :freak

Anyway, to all the athletes who are competing,to their sponsors and to all the volunteers who are working hard behind the scene to make everything happen... :thanksign :happydance :banana

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:08 pm 

I agree the expectations were inflated and I was utterly shocked to see the article earlier this week when the head of the COC was talking about the Own the Podium program. Regarding Patrick Chan, the 19 year old. . . I was thinking the same thing - the kid is 19 and has plenty of time to develop. However, I think he won the Four Continents competition in Vancouver last year, and came 2nd in the world championships, so there were hopes he could be one of the top skaters at the Olympics. . . .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:52 am 

We now have more gold medals than anyone else. :bouncygreen :banana

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Re Canada's men's hockey gold - Hooray!!
We were just remarking that Sidney Crosby hadn't been too visible.
Then bam, he shows up - big time!

If you do only one thing, sure, win the gold.

:banana :banana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:23 pm 

Yes, he showed up when it mattered, that's for sure! I just about died when they tied it up with 24 sec (or whatever) left in the game.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:41 am 
Site Admin

It was a great hockey game both teams played with true sportsmanship. Did you notice there was no fighting?
Quote:
"The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well."
Pierre de Coubertin

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:02 am 

No fighting because, unlike the NHL, it is neither encouraged nor allowed.

Personally, I think it makes for a much more exciting game when they are playing rather then fighting.