You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:25 pm 

I have eczema sores all over my hands and it hurts every time I wash them. I want to switch hand soaps, so I'm looking for a brand recommendation. Does anyone have a brand favorite or know what to look for? I have no idea which ingredient irritates my hands.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:03 am 

Do you find that some liquid soaps are harder on your hands? I find it helps to plan my activities to help reduce how often I need to wash. I like Dove bar soap. I make myself use handcream. Recently I found Spectro Eczema cream and wear it at bedtime sometimes with cotton gloves for few nights. Check all ingredients for your own allergies.
It is also helpful to reduce stress. That does help with a lot of things.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:12 pm 

I don't get eczema on my hands very often, but I do find bar soap less irritating than liquid. If my hands are dry and raw, I sometimes bring my own soap with me because the liquid soap in public washrooms is just hard on my hands.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:47 am 

We use Dove For Sensitive Skin in our house which includes 2 people with eczema.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:48 am 
Site Admin

My daughter gets eczema on the backs of her hands in and around her knuckles. I suspect that it's a combination of frequency of handwashing as well as not drying her hands well enough-harsh soaps exacerbate the condition. It seems to be an issue in the winter only.

She brings soft soap from home in a travel squeeze container (we usually use Jergens or Equality brand sensative/mild/fragrence free etc.)
So many people use harsh or perfumed soap and refill pump dispensers with who knows what-you can't be sure!

She has a prescription for a mild cortizone cream that we use at the first sign (rough patches) and that is usually enough to atop it from developing into a full blown raw, itchy, cracked mess. (The skin is so thin and hands are used so much :( )

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb