You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:23 am 
Site Admin

It's frustrating to try to find something to send my non-sandwich eating child for Friday lunches during Lent.

She's allergic to eggs, dairy, peanuts, all tree nuts and legumes (peas, beans, lentils)

She can have soy so today it's a cream (soy) cheese and jam roll up-maybe she won't think it's a sandwich if it's rolled up!

Any ideas?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:49 pm 

Susan,
Are you avoiding meat on Fridays? If not, just pack a thermos - pasta , your delicious ravioli (my kids love them by the way - I had my mom come over and we made a bunch and froze them), chicken fingers, meatballs, soup (with rice), hamburger, bagel with cream cheese, grilled "cheese" (tofutti slices) sandwich.

Hope this helps.
boys' mom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:40 pm 

My kids love wraps with lots of veggies like pepper slices, cucumber and lettuce. Safe salad dressing for flavour and some toffuti spread would be
nice.

Are buns appealing to your daughter? These can be another substitue for sandwhiches. Do you have a safe pizza that you could send?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:36 am 
Site Admin

Yes, we're avoiding meat and she won't take seafood because there's a child at her afterschool club who has a shellfish allergy.
We could do the pizza idea, fake mac and cheese...She won't eat a bun. Oh, she'll say she will but never does when it's sent! :roll:
Maybe we can make some "cheese" ravioli :scratchy
Thanks for the buck up, I guess I was just feeling sorry for myself. :huggy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:45 am 

If you have a safe pizza dough you could let her roll them into more snakes and then form pretzels. Just cover them with a tiny bit of pizza sauce or whatever you use that she likes. You could even use jjust rock salt or even sugar and cinnamon instead of sauce. Dessert pizza's are also fun, I have made an apple dessert pizza (copied it from one I had years ago at Pizza Hut) and our daughter loved it.

Is there safe hot dogs she can eat. I send our daughter hot dogs in her thermos to keep them warm, in a tiny container I pre mix ketchup and mustard, don't put it on the bun or it goes soggy. Then just send a bun along - in tupperware or it gets squished. I am quite proud of my hot dog buns, it took me over a year to perfect them :lol:

I use a thermos almost every day for our daughter as she likes a hot lunch. Of course she has no allergies so I am not working under those limitations but it does open up way more food when you can even send left overs from a dinner they like for lunch. Soup, stew, rice, noodles, perogies etc....
I'll see what else I can think up Susan, Hopefully even one idea helps a little.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:41 am 

Susan, How did you manage with new ideas for DD lunch.........that she enjoyed!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:57 am 
Site Admin

Ugh! :roll: I think the kid is living on air.

Yesterday I sent:
am snack: black plum
lunch: chicken/mayo/lettuce roll ups (tortillas), baby carrots
pm snack: mix of alphabets and alphabet pretzels

She took one bite of the roll up and ate a handful of the cereal mix.

Today I sent:
am snack: orange sections
lunch:sliced turkey meat (Buddig's), carrots, soy cheese chunks and mini pita pockets with some eggless mayo/soy yogurt dip
pm snack: mix of alphabets and alphabet pretzels (which I know she'll eat)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:58 am 
Site Admin

Not looking forward to back to school lunch making...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:07 pm 

The pro's and con's to lunch making. Grade level makes a difference. That being said I'm so not looking forward to making lunch, it still feel's like I just finished making lunch yesterday! I found it easier when my kids were in K to grade six. They would take a thermos and a lunch kit... Now in 7-9 for boys not cool to have a lunch at all! :scratchy So our plan again is to keep lunch kit in back pack and pull out a sandwich or bagel. No drink no fruit... Then he will have a good snack after school. So many of the kids just go to the store and get a large pop and chips... :frightened

I did tell my son no store no junk and if he did I could come and join him for lunch :rofl :frightened :frightened (don't think he will go to store)

It is better in high school (or for girls) my daughter will always bring a wrap... no thermos or anything she has to carry after lunch.
I have asked my kids for suggestions but only get "Bagel" from my son. Told my DH he only wants a bagel everyday, "I can't send him a bagel everyday"
He replied "If he wants to eat like the dog (same item everyday) let him :|
O.K. how many ways to make a turkey sandwich.....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:44 pm 

I'm dreading this myself, with DD starting grade 1 - K was 1/2 day so no lunches required. She has said she will eat a sandwich, but we'll see how that goes, and how long before she gets sick of them. She's also a slow eater, so I have a feeling she won't get through much of her lunch before it's time to go back to class. They play outside before eating during lunch hour, so hopefully she'll work up an appetite and eat faster!

Maybe alternate sandwiches with wraps and maybe some pasta? She'll eat cut up fruit and some veggies. I'll have to look for some creative ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:19 am 
Site Admin

So far what I've found that works:
I found some containers at the dollarstore that has a centre well with it's own lid for dip. If I arrange foods in the section around this and fill the well with a dip to her liking, she will eat this.
I picked up some plastic sectioned containers (really-they're probably for crafts) and I fillthe sections with crackers, meat and veggies to make her own version of a lunchable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:17 pm 

Thanks Susan. Creative placement of food probably counts for a lot (my mom was never good at that, and maybe that's why 2/3 of my sandwich went into the garbage when I was a kid!)

I like the dip concept and will look for some sectioned containers with lids. I just found these products that might make things more interesting. . . . I think I will spring for one of the sandwich cutters, but I wish the package came with two 'girl' and two 'boy' ones so I wouldn't have to buy two packages. . . . I guess I could do the animals, but I know DD would love the princess ones, and DS would love the transport ones!

http://www.lavishandlime.com/Goodbyn-Lu ... p-733.html
http://www.lavishandlime.com/Lunch-Punc ... p-845.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

Ooh! I like the puzzle cutter!