You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:53 am 

My husband came home with Lzmontage Chocolate today. It was being sold at his work as a fundraiser. The package has the peanut free symbol and a separate tree nut free symbol on it. What is odd to me is that it states it is from a peanut free facility in a controlled nut environment??? How exactly they control their nuts concerns me. :scratchy
I will call when they open today but does anyone have any experience with this company?

Quote:
All of the ingredients for a successful fund-raising campaign are included in our NUT-FREE BELGIAN RECIPE BOUTIQUE®!

• All products are manufactured in our PEANUT-FREE facility, on dedicated NUT-FREE lines.

The package also opens very easily in my hands (like say a regular chocolate bar would. The outer paper fell open and the inside foil wrap fell open also.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:07 am 

Here's the letter I just emailed to them. I thought it would be better to write as I have so many questions. Hopefully it is safe and is one more product to add to my 'safe' list.

Hello, my husband came home yesterday with one of your chocolate bars. He saw the peanut/tree nut free symbol. What I noticed was that your packaging and that you are a peanut free facility but a 'controlled' nut facility. We are excited to have found a new peanut/tree nut free products but I have many questions regarding the tree nut free label which I hope you will be able to answer. Our son is anaphylactic to may foods, peanuts, all tree nuts, sesame seeds included. Even trace amounts can cause him to have a life threatening reaction. This is why I need to varify some facts regarding your products before having them in my home.

1. Are tree nuts processed in the same facility as the chocolate bars marked tree nut free?
2. Are any ingredients in the 'tree nut free' chocolate bars stored or handled in the same area/facility as the tree nut free chocolate bars?
3. Is any equipment, conatiners, carts, packaging equipment, shelving etc. used to handle both peanut/tree nut free chocolate bars as well as nut products?
4. If nut products are in fact made in the same facility what are your precautions as far as staff, gloves, hair nets, etc. dealt with when handling both nut and nut free products?

I also note that you package opened literally in my hands, the outer paper wrapper and the inside foil wrapper just fell open. After the nut/peanut free bars are packaged is there any chance that they could be placed, stored, handled, packaged near nut/peanut products where any contaminants may be able to cross contaminate the nut free bars?
I would greatly appreciate a reply and hopefully your product will be an option for us in the future.
Sincerely, an allergy mom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:05 pm 

I am VERY pleased to say that this company got back to me asap to let me know they received my email and would get all answers to me as soon as possible. In another hour they sent the following email addressing all my concerns. From their detailed email I have full confidence in this company's understanding and dealings with allergens.

Yeah, one more safe product to add to my list. :happydance

Quote:
Good afternoon ________
Please find below the answers that our Quality Control director has provided for your questions.

1- All items marked with the Nut-free logo are manufactured in our nut-free zone. This area is completely closed off from the rest of our plant, and restricted to authorized personnel only. As an example, it is never included in the plant tour that we sometimes give our customers.
Samples of each production lot are analyzed for traces of peanuts and almonds.

2- Ingredients come through the reception area, which is common to both zones. However they arrive packed and skidded, and remain so until they are transported to the zone that will transform them.
In the same way, finished product is stocked in our shipping area which is common to both zones. However, before leaving the nut-free zone,chocolate bars are entirely packed (wrappers around the bars, bars in carry cases with factory-seal, and carry cases in sealed shipping cartons.)

3- Our nut-free zone has its own manufacturing equipment, which is not used for any other production process.

4- Our nut-free zone employees only work in that zone; they are never transferred to the regular factory, they have no access to it. They arrive in their regular street clothes, change into their workclothes and shoes, wear hair nets and gloves, and their lunch boxes are inspected.
Hair nets and gloves are disposed of within each specific production zone.

Please note that we only sell to schools and groups, so we are accutely aware of the dangers of peanut or tree nut alleriges, particularly in children; our staff is also informed of the potential dangers.

I hope we have addressed your main concerns. We have been certified peanut-free since 2000 and nut-free since 2001, and are regularly inspected government agencies.
Although nobody can claim zero risk of cross-contamination , we feel it is well-controlled throughout the manufacturing process and until the product is shipped to our customers.

Best regards,

Patricia Sabatin
Lamontagne inc.
1-800-567-3435 ext.236
psabatin@lamontagne.ca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:43 pm 

Dear Patricia, THANK YOU so much for not only replying so quickly to my email but for answering all my concerns in detail. It is clear to me from your answers that your company understands the seriousness of allergens and takes every precaution when handling/processing products. From an allergy mom I must thank you for this, any product we find which is safe for our son is greatly appreciated. We understand how much effort is taken by companies who are allergy aware to ensure safety of their products. We will gladly purchase your products without hesitation, I will also pass along your company's name to the school and other organizations we participate in for fundraisers.
I know you must get endless emails from panicked allergy parents, please be patient with us :-) . It isn't that we don't want to believe packaging, it is just that there are SO many products out there which are misleading and in fact not safe that it causes us to question everything which then looks too good to be true.
So to those of you who make a difference and allow our children to have treats they otherwise would not be able to enjoy, I thank you!!!
Warmly,
______

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

:thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:20 pm 

Thanks for posting this. We had considered this company for a preschool fundraiser, but never did end up using them. Good to know, though!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:24 pm 

Thank you for your thorough follow-up about the company. Several years ago we had a representative come to an AAIA workshop. Yes. We were given samples. They were tastey.