You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: New Here! Need Guidance!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:27 am 

Hello! I am a mom of two daughters, one is almost 4 and one is 5 1/2 years old. My oldest has had chronic sinus issues for years. No meds seem to help. It does not seem to be seasonal allergies or environmental as it is always the same. Never worse or better. We were referred to an ENT in the fall. He suggested surgery may be an option to open the sinus passages but also wanted her to see an allergist. At that time he made the referral and said to come back in 3 months. We did, nothing had changed so he went ahead and set up a CT scan...which would need to happen nefore any further surgical intervention. Well....we have declined the CT due to extremely high doses of radiation. I have been researching food allergies, talking to people etc. My daughter sometimes has asthma like symptoms...wheezing, shortness of breath...for no apparant reasons. Sometimes a cold will bring it on, sometimes it seems to be for no reason. She also at times (usually bedtime) complains of itchy eyes, they get red and a bit puffy. All of a sudden I realized this may all be related. Kind of a DUH but it never connected before. So next we go see our family dr to request a RAST test. Fast forward a few weeks we get the results. She scored 1.19 for egg whites, 0.50 for peanuts and 0.56 for wheat. My family dr is faxing the RAST results to the allergist to hopefully speed things up for us. Now what do I do??? I have begun eliminating eggs but the whole thing is daunting. Three possible allergies? I suspected she could have a food allergy but to have it actually show up was shocking! Anyhow, that is about it. Seems I am just beginning the journey. I have been reading old posts here and have found them very helpful. Thanks for reading!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

Oh wow, glad you found us. Let's hope this will resolve your daughter's health issues.

Ask the Allergist to put you on the cancelation list. This might speed things up.

Did you get a presription for epinephrine either by Epipen or Twinject? Your daughter is at higher risk because of the suspected peanut allergy in combination with the asthma.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:24 pm 

She does not have asthma like symptoms very often...maybe once every 4-6 months.

I just called the allegist's office and they had a cancellation for March 30! Yay, only 3 more weeks. We will be seeing Dr. Vander Leek in Edmonton (did I spell that right?).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:31 pm 

Make sure her bedroom is super clean. No dust. New pillow (fewer dust mites). When I was kid, the only thing it my bedroom was a bed. Everything else collects dust, espcially stuffed animals. I think it helps if you launder and dry them at super hot temperatures, but keep them out of the bed. I would even buy an air purifier. That seems to help me.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

divamomma, she may not have symptoms very often-that's great! But that doesn't mean she doesn't have asthma when she doesn't have the symptoms. It means you're controlling the asthma well.

http://www.lung.ca/diseases-maladies/as ... thme_e.php

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb