You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:45 am 

HOW disappointing!!!! Yes Gwen, I think that's a good idea. If someone has the contact info, we should all write/phone.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:47 am 

I checked my freezer, and the bag of Dempster's we bought on the weekend does NOT list sesame. I called and talked to some CSR -- what a waste of time and effort. :roll: He either would not or could not tell me if ALL breads would now be made in facilities with sesame seeds. He suggested I read the label every time. Really -- wrong thing to say to me at that moment in time. :oops:

I told him that any company that puts white lettering on a silver bag has no right to insist I read that stupid label in the grocery store every time. I don't carry around a magnifying glass ya know! Thanks but, if Dempter's wants to switch around their product lines, and make labels unreadable, the least they could do is give me some information over the phone. I told him I'll just stop buying Dempters. He said he could send in my complaint about white writing on a silver bag being difficult to read.

Such a helpful guy. :roll:

I did check their web-site today.

Dempsters Stay Fresh Bread does NOT list sesame as a may contain.

Dempsters Soft Slice DOES list sesame as a may cotnain.

So, if you want, keep checking the Stay Fresh -- bread only, the buns are not safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:16 am 

I didn't think to check but Dempter's had one bag of english muffins that didn't list trace of sesame. Has anyone noticed if that too has changed to a 'may contain'?

What frustrates me is that sesame seeds have no taste and are purely decorative. Non allergic people (I am one) probably wouldn't even care or notice if they were removed from all bread products.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:55 pm 

We bought some a few weeks ago and there was no warning then. I just checked their web-site and the BodyWise english muffins only list soy as a may contain. (That's not the kind we bought.)

I think the reason sesame and other seeds have become more popular is because a lot of people are trying to eat healthier. A lot of vegetarians and vegans I know eat them a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

Consumer Packaging and Labelling Act Section 15.
Quote:
15. Information that is required by the Act and these Regulations to be shown on a label, other than in the declaration of net quantity, shall be shown in a manner easily legible to the consumer under normal or customary conditions of sale or use and shall be in letters of not less than 1/16 inch (1.6 millimetres) in height.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc/cr ... bo-ga:s_14

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:52 pm 

Thank you Susan.

Tomorrow, when I have more time, I'll send an e-mail with that information to Dempster's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:41 am 

I posted this in shopping but thought I'd spread the good news here too. Today I see that our Dempster's soft slice does NOT contain a warning for sesame. I 'think' (but I'll call and see) that this must be do to bread coming in from different facilites all working for Dempsters. Anyway, it's good news for today :D

.....ok, I just got off the phone with Dempters . The rep. was very helpful and took her time to look into this for me. It looks like there are two plants within our general area (meaning a few hour raduis from here) which our local grocery may be receiving bread from. One is in fact a sesame plant and the other is not explaining the warning changes.
So keep checking your bread as it come in randomly from different plants and the warning may change depending where it comes from that week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:02 am 

As sesame free crackers are hard to come by I thought I'd let you know about Paris Toasts. Our son has now eaten several times with no problem.

PARIS TOASTS. They are usually in the deli section, 80g bag and look like mini slices of toast.
Ingredients: Wheat flour, yeast, palm fat, sugar, wheat gluten, salt, antioxidant, ascorbic acid

He also eats the Dimplimeier Rye Bread with no problem. I saw someone post it a while back as a safe bread so we tried it and our son loves it. I now buy it at Costco as you get two full size loaves for the same size that the grocery deli sells for those 1/2 loaf packages. Since his sesame RAST is a 4 I was so nervous trying a bakery bought bread product. But true to their word no trace of sesame. I tell you, having the option of prepared bread has been wonderful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:51 pm 

BC2007,

Thanks for the tip for purchasing Dimpfimier bread at Costco! I never thought to check there.

We use Paris toasts as well - they're great! Not all the mini toasts are safe, but these are, so they are a great find. I use them as croutons for Caesar salad as well - just break them up a little smaller.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject: Hot Dog/ Hamburger Buns
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:26 pm 

Potentially Dimplmeier has buns - there are no warnings for may contain traces of sesame. I called and talked to the store and it seemed to be okay - not 100% clear - but they do label for "may contain soy" so an absence of the sesame warning was a good sign (they have other no sesame bread)

Caveat: they bake them at noon on Thursdays so are likely to be sold out by Friday.
They are in the glass windows at the far right of the store.

Call to double check again but may be a potential source of buns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:23 am 

Ginger, I think the bakery is going to wonder why they now have a 120 people camping out along the sidewalk every Thursday. I can just see it now, the cops asking what's going on and people all whispering "we're here for the buns". LOL Now if you are talking hot dog and hamburger buns they will have to do what concerts do for crowd control and sell wrist bands for the buns. It is very Seinfeld, I see the potential for a screen play. Although only the allergic community would be sitting there howling, others would be confused 'whats so funny about buns, I don't get it, what's the deal with hot dog buns....we are just talking about buns aren't we".
Quote:

They are in the glass windows at the far right of the store.
That's like telling the secret of which safety deposit box the jewels are in. I tell you, this bakery won't know what hit them :D :D :D :D

GREAT TIP, Thanks Ginger :D

Post subject: Re: our daily BREAD
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:43 am 

Awesome news! Dempster's now carries Oven Fresh white dinner rolls & white baguettes which are sesame free! :D I found them at our local Walmart. I phoned Dempster's. They are currently being produced in the Etobicoke Sesame free plant. They cautioned me to check the labels as that might change anytime. The whole wheat ones do contain traces of sesame because they are produced elsewhere.
:swing

DD 4 YRS (asthma)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:15 pm 

Brendalw...........THANK YOU!!!!!! :happydance :bouncyblue :banana :bouncygreen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:10 pm 

Brendalw, :bouncygreen :bouncygreen :bouncygreen Thanks for posting this! I don't think I ever would have found these. I'm going to check out Walmart next time I go there. This would be SO great if I don't have to make hamburger buns or hot dog buns each time we need them. Mini-hamburgers would be a huge hit. If I find them, I am going to contact Dempsters to say a huge thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:45 am 

I agree with you completely Julie, I sent Dempsters an email yesterday as soon as I read the post. I let them know my weekend mission was to go out and find those buns :D . I thanked them and let them know how much this means to those dealing with sesame allergies and how APPRECIATED it is. I was hoping others would write too, I asked ever so nicely that maybe in the near future hot dog/hamburger buns will follow suite. :banana