* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

From Fast Company. What do you think?

Quote:
Last week, the American Academy of Pediatrics called for the redesign of hot dogs. "If you were to take the best engineers in the world and asked them to design a perfect plug for a child's airway, you couldn't do better than a hot dog," said Dr. Gary Smith, former chairman of the AAP's Committee on Injury, Violence, and Poison Prevention. "When it's wedged in tightly, that child is going to die." Never ones to resist a challenge, or the chance to play with our food, we carved out a little time to explore the redesign of the hot dog.

We began by thinking outside the bun. What other ways could we come up with for hot dog delivery? Looking for inspirations from food innovations like GoGurt and Push Pops, we briefly toyed with the idea of a semi-solid hot-dog paste...a Push-Pup, if you will, not unlike the Sushi Popper. But frankly, the idea of a hot dog in a non-Newtonian form, was more than a little gag-inducing.

http://www.fastcompany.com/1564477/oh-i ... newsletter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:40 pm 

I understand the reasoning but I don't think you'd be roasting that on a stick over a campfire :wink:

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:26 pm 

Haven't Moms for years simply sliced the hotdog lengthwise before cooking to reduce the choking risk?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:24 am 

I always just slice it lengthwise, I don't see why companies have to redesign hot dogs because people wont take 2 seconds to cut it.. But I digress, grapes are dangerous too to young children, that's why you have to slice them too, it really doesn't take that long.. *sigh* society these days confuses me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:32 pm 

http://www.kenoradailyminerandnews.com/ ... &e=1846975

This happened my last year of high school. It was a very unfortunate and tragic incident for the entire town. It hit close to home for me at the time because it was a close friend's cousin. I remember them talking about of reforming "hot dog days" in the public school system but I don't know what became of that, mostly due to the fact I haven't been in that system for quite sometime.

I remember when I went to elementary school, I didn't eat a fully intact hot dog till about grade 5, up until then the school cut the hot dogs in half and we had people in the lunch room supervising. I don't know about making hot dogs into a paste (gross) but maybe having them pre-cut like my mom use to.

That way you can still roast them or put them on a bun.

p.s: Just tried Tandoori Smokies from Superstore, super tasty. Dairy, Egg and Nut free if you are looking for something to BBQ this summer.